Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Coraline
This topic is about Coraline
Coraline > Done Reading

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amber | 34 comments I might be the odd man out, but I didn't like this book at all. It was really hard for me to get into it. Once I got reading the book I was just reading it to finish the book and start a better book.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) This was a weird little book that I'm grateful I read first as an adult. If I'd read this as a child, or even a young adult, it would have given me nightmares. But, I grew to really enjoy the story. I did love how clever Coraline was and it was an interesting story. But very peculiar, I have to say.

I'm wondering, for those of you who have read a bunch of Neil Gaiman's books, how alike or dissimilar is this book to his other works? Thanks!

Sandi (Sandikal) I really enjoyed this book a lot. However, as much as it appealed to me as an adult, I would classify it as a children's book, not a young adult book. I think I even found it in the independent readers section of the bookstore, not the young adult section.

That said, it was a deliciously creepy book. I would have enjoyed it as a child. It reminded me a lot of Roald Dahl and some Ray Bradbury. I think the story had a good message too.

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 01, 2008 09:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elizabeth (elizabethoverton) | 15 comments I really enjoyed it, but I have no doubt that it'd be a little too creepy for some children. I think I might worry about how my little sister would take the Other Mother wanting to sew buttons over Coraline's eyes.

I do, however, agree that it has a very good message that all children could learn from. It's just that some little details along the way might really get inside their heads the same way a psychological thriller can affect adults. (I certainly don't find it THAT scary, but I'm just trying to find something to compare it to.)

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments Coraline was my first Neil Gaiman read and I found him very creative and I enjoyed the book and I will definitely read another one of his novels.
I am also eager to see how the movie adaptation of Coraline comes out and will probably go see it.

Tera Marie (teradugan) I think I would have appreciated this story much more as a kid. The story is very fantastical, a creative masterpiece. Neil Gaiman is a great author. I have another one of his books sitting here. Did I really like this book? I would have to say no. As an adult, it really wasn't an appealing piece of literature. There wasn't enough depth, the characters were relatively flat, but for a younger version of myself it would have been great.

message 7: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz (ediereads) | 12 comments Sandi - thanks for reinforcing what I was thinking as I read this book... it sounded a lot like the mind of Roald Dahl.

I didn't love this one. It wasn't awful, but I didn't really enjoy it. There was a good message and I did like Coraline (as flat a character as she was).

In our library, it is a J book, not YA. I agree with all those who have already said that this is a children's book.

Though I hadn't heard about it, as I was reading I thought this book was ripe for moviemaking... I think it would make an excellent movie - especially if Tim Burton got his hands on it. :)

Sandi (Sandikal) I imagined it as a Tim Burton movie too.

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments It is going to be an animated movie coming out next February. Dakota Fanning will be the voice of Coraline

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) Tim Burton's the one doing the movie, too, isn't he? At least that's what I heard!

My thoughts on CORALINE. First of all, I definitely think it's an middle-grade, not a YA.

Second of all, I love it. But I might be biased because I grew up on dark fairy tales (the original Grimms are pretty gory and creepy things) and I thought this was very evocative of that. Because I read it as a modern fairy tale, I was forgiving of Coraline's simplified character -- because any more depth, and it would take away from the creepy little plot details.

To me, it sounds like the sort of story I can imagine reading to my kids once they hit that 8-12 age range -- you read a little bit every night before they go to bed.

lionlady | 32 comments To me this was Tim Burton meets Stephen King. I don't know if I liked it or hated it. Same w/ Stephen King. Gaiman and King are in the same category for me - incredible authors, but I can't read them cuz the creep factor is too much for me. I don't know why, but at 50 King is the only author that can give me nightmares. Well, I guess Gaiman does too! Too bad for me cuz I really wish I could read them in "safety".

Christine Hart (christine_hart) I agree that the story is a little too dark and creepy for children, despite being written and structured for that age group. The length, pace and level of struggle and conflict are right for children (definitely middle-grade), but the subject matter and imagery would have given me nightmares too. Overall, I really enjoyed it. But as a child - I would've been way too uncomfortable with the space under my bed after reading this book.

message 13: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz (ediereads) | 12 comments I tried to find out who was directing the movie but didn't come up with anything. They Might Be Giants will be doing the soundtrack, though!

This movie could be pretty huge.

Ms. Hicks | 25 comments I listened to the audio version of this book and started listening to it with my eight year old daughter. After the first chapter I had a feeling it was going to be too creepy for her. I liked the book, in that it was creepy, but not so scary it gave me nightmares. I'm glad I read it, it was very different from what I usual read, but I don't think I would read it again.

Sandi (Sandikal) I think kids really like creepy as long as it's not gory.

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) I was a big fan of creepy when I was younger -- ghost stories and anything that made me shiver but turned out okay. I'm thinking Coraline is the same creep factor as Roald Dahl's THE WITCHES -- have any of you read that? That was seriously scary as a kid!

Oh, and here's a link to the movie info, for anyone who is now dying to go out and see Coraline on the big screen.

Henry Selick is directing, the same guy who did James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

message 17: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jul 07, 2008 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2686 comments Mod
I thought this book was totally different from the other Gaiman books I have read. That is why I like him... all his books are so different from one another.

I loved this book... it would've been something I would've totally liked when I was younger... reminded me of the Fear Street books I loved so much. I loved scary books then and I love them now (Stephen King is the man). I was glad to read a different kind of YA book...

I am so excited about the movie! Great link Maggie! And the teaser poster for the movie.. so CREEPY!

message 18: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jul 07, 2008 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

[image error]

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) *shiver*

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 25 comments I didn't think it was any creepier than most fairy tales, really. When you think about, say Little Red Riding Hood, is the wolf dressing up as granny so he can eat Red that much different than the other mother? Or use the wicked stepmother from Snow White...

I read the graphic novel, and will say, however, that the other mother is certainly creepy looking. I found it in the young readers section of the bookstore where I work, bw, although the actual novel is shelved in both young readers and teens.

I did enjoy the story, but then I enjoy Gaiman in general, and dark fairy tales, as well. For the person who asked if this is typical Gaiman- it's typical of his writing for children, I would say, but his adult novels/graphic novels tend to be a little weightier, although still quirky and magical. Perhaps it would compare to Neverwhere, which is an adult novel in which a man gets stuck in "London Underground," so the premise is somewhat similar to Coraline. I can tell the difference in his narrative style, though, between his kid vs adult writing.

Elizabeth (elizabethoverton) | 15 comments That poster is so creepy!

message 22: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love how the other mother is like a black shadow.. and then those big button eyes! cool poster!

message 23: by Elaine (last edited Jul 12, 2008 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine (readingrat) | 24 comments I enjoyed this story. I agree it's not for every child, but I know more than a couple of kids that would absolutely love this one.

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 43 comments I liked this little book. I like that it was short. I like that it was simple. And I like that it was an introduction to the horror genre for kids. Even though the style was very old-school British story telling, I ended up connecting with Coraline and rooting for her. I think there is a lot of depth to this little book.

Sylvia (sylnamira) I liked this book but I had to admit, I didn't expect it to be a creepy story. But I really admire Coraline's bravery and imagination.

I love the poster. Can't wait to see the movie!

Patty | 18 comments I agree with Maggie, Coraline is a creepy, dark fairy tale; that is what I liked about it. I do have a copy in my high school library, and it does circulate a little, probably check out by Gaiman fans. I think it is more for middle school readers than high school.

message 27: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

It is nice you get to know what circulates... it would be interesting to know that on all the books we read.

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 43 comments I think it is probably more for late elementary and middle school. But, I have had high school reluctant readers in my classes who really liked it. It is short and packs a lot of punch--plus it doesn't treat Coraline like a kid, so older readers can more readily identify with her story.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ i read it in... eighth grade, i think? i probably could've handled it younger, but it was still a good read. i don't mind reading books that are for younger readers... it's still fun. ;D

message 30: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree about reading stuff for young readers. I don't mind either I think it is fun.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ yeah. books for younger readers just tend to be... happier. XD haha

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 43 comments I love the creepiness of the whole story and the button eyes added an extra creepy level to it I thought - even more than the hand

Sarah  | 9 comments I read the book, not the illustrated one so I hadn't had an image of the story and characters. But the poster suddenly made the story quite creepy now. Shadow with button eyes.. straight out of my nightmares!

message 35: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Sep 17, 2008 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

description

message 36: by mari (new) - rated it 4 stars

mari (maribs) I just read the book tonight and loved it.
I enjoy children's books and have always liked scary books, even when I was young. This would have been a favorite then as well.
The poster for the movie looks great and I really want to get my hands on a copy of the graphic novel.

I won't be terribly surprised if I dream about button eyes. I always thought they were creepy on dolls.

message 37: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read the graphic novel and enjoyed it. Though I must say that I didn't picture things in my mind the same as the graphic novel but it was still fun to read. He has a new book out, The Graveyard Book that is his second full length book for YA readers. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

message 39: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Dec 18, 2008 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The trailers for the movie are really neat. On the official website the have posters for each letter of the alphabet.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ yeah the trailer looked good; i'm excited. XD

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Graveyard Book (other topics)