Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Aussie Readers Group Bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 12, 2010 09:51PM) (new)

Mandapanda Ever had a secret dream to be a librarian? Our group bookshelf is always needing work! I feel it could be a place where we showcase our great Australian writers and their works. If you notice an author missing feel free to add his books!

Books should be either written by Australian authors or feature Australia as a subject. The list is usually sorted by "Author" so visitors can find their favourite writers. You can change the way it's sorted by clicking on the headings at the top of each column.

You'll notice several 'sub-genres' within the group bookshelf (e.g. scifi, crime & mystery, etc). Every book should be attached to a sub-genre so that visitors can go straight to their favourite genre to find new books they'll like. If you notice books that don't have a sub-genre please add one.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (revel-in-reading) I think it would help to have a children's books shelf.
Perhaps that could be divided into children's fiction and children's non fiction shelves (but that might open up a can of worms. For e.g., fiction can be further divided into picture books, mid grade or young adult, etc.) I'll leave that one with you to sort :)

Cheers,

Julie.

message 3: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 01, 2010 07:27PM) (new)

Mandapanda Great idea Julie, thanks! We certainly have a lot of great Australian children's authors. I might just start with a "Children" and later a "Young Adult" shelf. If you see any new children's literature, or books already in our "read" shelf, feel free to add them to their correct shelf. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have some Australian books on my book shelf categorised as such, I could help by adding those if they don't already exist. I currently have them separated between Adult & kids (I read all my childrens books).

message 5: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Gail "cyborg" wrote: "I have some Australian books on my book shelf categorised as such, I could help by adding those if they don't already exist. I currently have them separated between Adult & kids (I read all my chil..."

Go for it Gail!! Much appreciated.:).

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen O'grady | 36 comments yes please, could I add my Dad and my Uncle's books to the Australian bookshelf. Dad was well-known for They're A Weird Mob, and Uncle Frank wrote Hanging Rock, Goonoo Goonoo and others. Can give you all the titles if they are needed

message 7: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Ah Ha! Now I understand why searches for Frank O'Grady showed John O'Grady! John's books are under his pseudonym Nino Culotta. There is one book for Frank O'Grady Francis of Central Australia. Is that his? I'm having trouble sourcing info for Goonoo Goonoo and Hanging Rock. You don't happen to have the ISBN's by any chance?

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen O'grady | 36 comments ISBN oops will have to check that out but yes Francis of Central Australia is a factual work, the others are histodical fiction about the Tamworth region. I have photocopied the title pages of his books as well as copyright pages etc, but there is no ISBN written on them, nor on Dad's books so take it that ISBN was not all that important back in the '50s and '60s

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen O'grady | 36 comments oops again...yes Dad's ISBN was on the copyright page which I didn't photocopy of Uncle Frank's books while I had them...so sorry Mandy

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen O'grady | 36 comments I tell you that you have sent m,e on a search with this ISBN, Dad's Cop This Lot has an ISBN but They're A Weird Mob doesn't hahaha!!! Bemused laughter here

message 11: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Leave it with me Colleen. I'll do some investigating and add them to Goodreads. By the way, **CELEBRITY ALERT** You're related to some pretty well known Aussie authors!! Great to have you with us...:)

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen O'grady | 36 comments hahaha.....Dad would love that comment. I think you may not be able to get Unclke fRank's as they are out of print, though found them in various universities and some library down Illawarra way. Many of Dad's are available on eBay and early next year They're A Weird Mob will be republished by Penguin

message 13: by Marija (new)

Marija I (mariai) | 1 comments Perhaps a 'Australian Literature' shelf could be added. Just to distinguish between general fiction and a literature novel....Just a thought

message 14: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Marija wrote: "Perhaps a 'Australian Literature' shelf could be added. Just to distinguish between general fiction and a literature novel....Just a thought"

Yes I think that's a good idea Marija. I Might finish up the way I'm going then go back and sort what's left in the general fiction shelf.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 33 comments I was looking through the group bookshelf and I noticed there is no Graeme Base? His books are beautiful.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for letting us know Sarah we'll add them on. Our bookshelves are growing at a remarkably rapid rate. :)

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 1732 comments Sarah wrote: "I was looking through the group bookshelf and I noticed there is no Graeme Base? His books are beautiful."

Animalia is my all-time favourite Australian book.

message 18: by neko (new)

neko cam (neko_cam) I've noticed that the books we have by Andy Griffiths are actually the American editions. I don't know how to go about changing the edition myself, so I thought I'd bring it to your attention. It's most obvious in the Bum series (as the American's use the term Butt instead), but the same is true of the Just! series.

message 19: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda neko wrote: "I've noticed that the books we have by Andy Griffiths are actually the American editions. I don't know how to go about changing the edition myself, so I thought I'd bring it to your attention. It's..."

Thanks Neko. I'll go and change them later today. A couple of group members have noticed issues like that and I'm grateful you let me know.

If anyone ever wanted to change editions themselves all you do is go to our group bookshelf, delete the original book from the bookshelf, do a new search and under the 'add to group' button click on 'other editions'. Then just select the correct edition.

message 20: by neko (new)

neko cam (neko_cam) Mandy wrote: "all you do is go to our group bookshelf, delete the original book from the bookshelf, do a new search and under the 'add to group' button click on 'other editions'. Then just select the correct edition. "

OH! Well jeez, it sounds so obvious when you say it :p

message 21: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Awww shucks! Now I feel real smart!:D

message 22: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 37 comments Could you please add 'Halo' by Alexandra Adornetto to the Young Adult Fiction section? I just read and Loved it, she is an amazing young writer living in Melbourne.

message 23: by Mandapanda (last edited Oct 11, 2010 02:26PM) (new)

Mandapanda Thanks Janelle, I've seen that book cover around but I didn't realise she was Australian.:)

Alexandra Adornetto Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto

message 24: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Just a tip for anyone helping with our group bookshelf. Try to avoid renaming existing shelves. Youll lose the books that were under the original name. It's best to create a new shelf and move the books over.:)

message 25: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Mandy, I added another book to the bookshelf, 'Red Dog' by Louis de Bernières , who is not Australian, but the story is a true story about a dog that lived in WA, and I have heard rumours that they are making a film about it. I hope it meets the criteria for the bookshelf ... it is a great little book.Red Dog

message 26: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Looks like a great book Dee-Ann. I didn't know it existed. Thanks heaps for adding it to the bookshelf!:)

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments I just added in some children books...they are novels but not exactly for YA more like grade 1 and 2...So I placed them under children books. If you'd like to move them feel free to do so.

message 28: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Thanks Laura, much appreciated!