Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Authors/Writers' Corner > Who's POV do you prefer?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments I have a question for my fellow writers, and readers too. When you read a sex scene who’s point of view would you rather read, the hero’s or the heroine’s. Who’s point of view do you enjoy writing better? His or hers? Or are you an equal opportunity POVer. LOL

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I like them both. Recently it seems that I really enjoy the male POV--not just in the love scene, but period. I'll deliberately read stories with male main characters for that reason.

As for writing, I like to write both POVs. Lately, I've noticed that I spend a lot of time in the hero's head. But, I feel that's necessary, since I write edgy/anti-heroic characters. You need to see things through their eyes so that you can sympathize with them despite their less than honorable actions.

Great question, Stephanie.

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1383 comments Good question! For me, I like it from the hero's POV. I just think there is something irresistibly sexy about knowing what is going on in a guy's mind while he's making love.

message 4: by Nisha (new)

Nisha (parakisu) | 55 comments I agree Tina. The scene is exponentially hotter when we get it from the Hero. Not that the Heroine's POV is unworthy, but most of us already know that part.

message 5: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments I'm and equal opportunity POVer. As long as it's well written, I'm in. And it doesn't have to be in FULL details Sometimes, less is better, depending on the characters, i.e., age, the plot, etc.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments As a reader I like to see the hero's POV. I love stories that are written from his POV. The whole story, not just the love/sex scenes.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user Hero's PoV! I'm much more interested in that. ;)

message 8: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Aug 17, 2010 06:13PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) As long as the book isn't written in first person, I'm fine with any POV. I HATE first person books. I also like books that venture off into different POV's for different scenes. It's refreshing not to see the same character's thoughts for every scene. It mixes things up.

That's why I love to write and read crime because those stories call for switching POV's.

Best Wishes!
http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Ooh, Stacy, you hurt my heart. My book is written in 1st person POV, and each character inputs his own thoughts in the scenes...

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments Not a fan of first person either.

Stacy-Deanne wrote: "As long as the book isn't written in first person, I'm fine with any POV. I HATE first person books. I also like books that venture off into different POV's for different scenes. It's refreshing no..."

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments Okay, well maybe if you ladies get a chance to read my book, maybe it'll change your minds about 1st person POVs...:)

message 12: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Aug 17, 2010 09:27PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) LOL, Vanessa didn't mean to hurt your heart but except for maybe one book, I've never liked the first person books I've read. The ones I read all seemed to have a very arrogant MC and they weren't exciting enough to me to have one character carry the story.

It's no reflection on you or your work, LOL. It's just personal preference. If I read a first person novel that knocked my socks off, I might change my mind. So far, the ones I read are the same. I've read classics (because I love classics) and modern first person tales and I don't know but something about the MC's in first books always come off as arrogant to me. I guess it's in the narrative. It always seems like these characters are so judgmental when it comes to what's going on. Can't relate to them. And I just would like to also see other characters do things and not have to look through the eyes of one person the entire book you know?

The one I did enjoy was The Beach by Alex Garland. I really liked that book.

Best Wishes!

message 13: by Trenice (new)

Trenice I'm an equal POVer. To me, both people are feeling and thinking things at or about the same time. So, why not enjoy both? ~hunches shoulders~

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I like 1st person in urban fantasy and coming of age stories. It doesn't go as well over in romance stories, from what I've read. But, that doesn't mean you didn't hit it out the park with your story, Vanessa.

message 15: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Johnson (VanessaAJohnson) | 58 comments And so the saying goes, to each his own...can't be mad at that. I have things I prefer over other things. I appreciate and respect what you guys have said.

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6570 comments Mod
I'm speaking in general. When I write, I have to get in the hero's and heroine's head.

I'm a present tense writer.

I'm another person that doesn't care for first person stories.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Wow. I’m glad to see such a great response to my question. Now I tell you why I asked it.
I like writing from the hero’s POV and reading from it too. It is sexy knowing what he feels and sees and how he reacts. I like Nisha said: We already now that part. LOL
However I wrote a story that had the hero’s POV and a little of the heroines and an editor said that readers won’t take to the story well, because they can’t relate or connect with the story, since most of my readers are women. I thought that was odd. You see this hunky man on the cover, I want to know what he’s thinking and feeling just as much as the heroine, if not more so.

Thanks guys!:)

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Well, now you know that some of us would read a book for the male POV. Keep up the good work, Stephanie.

message 19: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Stephanie that sucks but I've heard that to be true in romance. A lot of editors don't want the male MC but you gotta always remember it's your story and you gotta write what you feel.

I think the romance genre is way too rigid with some things. One of my closest author friends writes romance and she was telling me about "rules" romance writers got to follow for their writing. Rules? She mentioned every book has to be happily ever after, and stuff like that. I figure you shouldn't force endings. Some books call for HEA endings and some don't no matter the genre.

It's not like that in the crime/mystery genre. There's freedom. In fact I find that romance is the only genre that sticks to certain rules (or that editors like writers to stick to certain rules). It's frustrating for some romance authors I know. I hear it all the time about editors or agents don't want certain books because of a male MC.

I don't care what sex the MC is if they are interesting and it's a good story.

Best Wishes!

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I don't mind having rules broken in romance (so long as it isn't a pet peeve of mine), but I like the predictability of a romance having a HEA. Life isn't like that. And since I read for escapism, I am glad I can pick up a romance and know that the couple stays together at the end. In other genres, I don't have that expectation, and that's okay.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1383 comments I that for a book to be romantic it doesn't need a HEA (hello, Romeo and Juliet), but I think by definition a "romance novel" in sense of the genre, has to have the HEA. Any other "rules" are arbitrary, imo, but that one is pretty sacrosanct.

I love it when a romance author pushes the envelope, though. It gets awfully tired to read the same template over and over again.

I remember the very first time I read a romance that was more than the heroine's POV. It was a Janet Daily Silhouette romance that featured not only the hero's POV but also his two teenage daughters who were scheming to get him married to the heroine. I thought it was just the coolest thing.

message 22: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments I personally am an equal opportunity POVer. I just have to know everyone's perspectives. 1st person always seems to be missing something to me. I've passed on many books because of that.

There has only been a few books that I've enjoyed as 1st person (and that's if the mc has a wicked sense of humor).

And I agree with others...knowing what's going on in a man's mind during sex is a great thing.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 116 comments I like to here both. I like to know what everyones thinking, but lately I have just been wanting to hear the guys POV in books. Their thoughts are more interesting, as women we know how we think but guys are soo different, sometimes you just want to know whats in there heads and how the Author can bring them to life and make you feel and understand where their coming from.

message 24: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Loni said:

And I agree with others...knowing what's going on in a man's mind during sex is a great thing.

Especially if the character is written by a man in my opinion. I think when it's written from a female author, it's still just a woman telling her "thoughts" about what a man feels during sex. I like to read the male POV of sex from male authors because you really can see what it feels like for a man. Only he'd know, LOL!

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 116 comments Stacy-Deanne wrote:

Especially if the character is written by a man in my opinion. I think when it's written ..."

What books have you read by male authors? I'm interested in reading some and what type of books are they?

message 26: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 28, 2010 11:05PM) (new)

Arch  | 6570 comments Mod
Everyone please remember not to quote someone. If you want to respond to something that they have said, use their name. If you don't mind, if you have quoted someone, go back to your thread and edited it. Take out the quote.

message 27: by Stolie77 (new)

Stolie77 | 15 comments oh i agree! gimme the Hero POV anytime! of course I dont mind the heroine POV, but *sighs* i'm definitely a girl that wants to know what he is thinking!

message 28: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Meme,

Mysteries and crime fiction mostly. Tons of them. I've not read a "romance" from a man but some of the books I've read had sex in them so it was from a man's point of view.

Best Wishes!

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 116 comments Thank you Stacy-Deanne