Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Does time actually slow down in crisis situations...has time ever slowed down for you?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Fascinating article on NPR about the whole "time slowing down when you think you're about to die" or similar situations....

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

I can't say I've had the same experience in car accidents, etc. What do you think?

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments When my babies were very young, hours sometimes seemed to last for days--especially when they were sick or screaming.

And then when they started school, I would look at the clock and think, "Time to pick the girls up? Didn't I drop them off at school FIVE minutes ago??"

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Sometimes, it's more like time speeds up just to bite you, but normally, people can do things faster than they think.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I asked the sophomores to describe a time when time slowed down for them back in sept. That was probably the beginning of when they started considering me insane.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i def have had a couple of time slowing down moments when i was sliding off the road in a car or right before crashing (not that i do that often). i often have occasionally prophetically recognized someone was going to say something inappropriate or terribly wrong and done that slo-mo "nooooooooooooo...." deal in my head

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments Sometime time drags when I'm waiting for the cocktail hour.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Cynthia wrote: "Sometime time drags when I'm waiting for the cocktail hour."

It is cocktail hour for Janine, or at least for Gail I'm sure.

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments *Scoots away to find a wine glass.*

message 9: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 17, 2010 02:22PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It must be a common thread with car accidents. When my brother and I were moving my parents to Colorado from California, my mom and I were in a car behind the moving van and she fell asleep at the wheel. I woke to the car in motion, spinning in circles on the freeway. It felt like we were spinning for a couple of minutes before we ended up in the ditch, but it couldn't have been more than a few seconds. We were fortunate enough to have been on a stretch of interstate in Wyoming that wasn't overly crowded, so the other cars missed us.

I also get a sense of time slowing down when I trip or fall. It sucks to have that brief moment when you know you're going to hit the ground, but don't know exactly how hard.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24153 comments Mod
I haven't noticed time slowing down for me. I have gotten very bad news though which made my whole body go hot.

message 11: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments No, it doesn't. It only seems that way because in times of crisis everything becomes magnified, more intense.

message 12: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I've never felt time slow down, but I get that disassociative disorder thing where I seem to be outside of my body watching the crisis.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Out of body activity is strictly prohibited in the New Order, Jammies.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments A Bizarre Love Triangle would be okay, though.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) With special permission, yes.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

It is encouraged in places like New Orleans and Amsterdam.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Yes, time definitely slowed down - when Jake was much younger he fell head first off a very high slide. It seemed like it took forever for him to land, with my heart in my throat. Then after he hit everything started to move very very fast. And then slowed down again because he just lay there, didn't move at all.

Yech a terrible memory.

message 18: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Larry wrote: "Out of body activity is strictly prohibited in the New Order, Jammies."

Sorry, Larry, I'll stop doing it as long as no crises occur for the rest of my life--deal?

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Works for me.

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments yes. it feels like time slows down when you are in danger. at least it did for me. expecially the 2 times my ex held a loaded gun to my head. the taste of fear is dry as dust.

message 21: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3403 comments Feeling in danger of losing your life does seem to slow things down. When I was nineteen, I was passing a car on a long curve, and at just the wrong moment, an oncoming car came around that curve. I couldn't pull back into my lane. Luckily, the oncoming car drove onto the shoulder, and we all got to travel on. I experienced those few seconds in slow motion.

Glad you're still here to tell your tale, Michele.

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Thanks. You too. Bet that was the longest few moments of your life. However, another moment in my life that seemed to last forever, seeing my baby being born and the first time I got to hold him and unwrap him counting all the fingers and toes...that magical moment lasted a long time too. and that's the one I choose to remember.

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments Oh Yeah, Michele. Time slows WAY down when you're having a baby. Then they grow up and time ZOOMS by.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments tell me about it. My son turned 42 last October! He's middle aged! OMG!

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my wife says that if this theory is true maybe she should create some kind of crisis situation in the boudoir

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Your wife amuses me.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Barb wrote: "Ha! My mom has started measuring her age by ours ... saying things like "Holy shit, my kids are getting old. That means I'm getting really old". "

I kind of do that. I get really surprised when I find out how old kids I used to babysit are now (married, kids) or how old my friends' kids are, or how old my youngest sister is.

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7087 comments I always comment when I visit the dentist, "how's your partner Dr. G? You know I used to babysit him!"