Jane Austen discussion

Extras & Just for fun > Similar Authors

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by valee (new)

valee Once you've read all her books and wanna try other similar ones, check this thread. In here you'll find recommendations from other users who are just as crazy about the author as you are.

message 2: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I'd recommend Charlotte Bronte and Elizabeth Gaskell.

message 3: by valee (new)

valee Charlotte Bronte is on my TBR list. I will read it for sure once I'm done with Austen.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine You must read Jane Eyre it is wonderful.

message 5: by valee (new)

valee I have been wanting to read it for ages. I definitely will soon, but I wanna read all Austen books first,lol.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (baroness7) | 6 comments Katherine wrote: "You must read Jane Eyre it is wonderful."

The Bronte sisters are my abs favorite- Gothic and mysterious... love it. Jane Eyre is my favorite book of ALL time. Have you guys read Rebecca by Daphne du Marurier? Another good one :-)

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Melissa I have Rebecca on my list to read for September it's my "R". I'm excited to read it.

message 8: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I've read DdM:) Frenchmans Creek is one of my favourite books together with Jamaica Inn.

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I very much enjoyed Rebecca, will have to look into her other books. Thanks Adrienne for recommending them.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Rebecca is a classic for a reason! One of the best of all time. My sister is especially fond of DuMaurier's work and her favorite book is My Cousin Rachel. Now, I read it years ago on her recommendation and I didn't like it. She still raves about it. Try it.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (baroness7) | 6 comments I haven't heard of Frenchmans Creek or Jamaica Inn- thanks for recommendation.

Katherine- did you finish Rebecca?

message 12: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I did and really liked it. The dialog I found very intriguing, will definitely read other books by her.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (buttondoll) I'm currently reading "Jane Austen Mysteries-The Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor" by Stephanie Barron. There are about 6 other titles in this mystery series, in which Jane Austen herself is the sleuth. So far so good, I am really enjoying this book. I have the second one "The Man of the Cloth" waiting for me on my bedside table...

message 14: by valee (new)

valee Never heard of it? Is it still good? Have you finish that book?

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Andrea wrote: "I'm currently reading "Jane Austen Mysteries-The Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor" by Stephanie Barron. There are about 6 other titles in this mystery series, in which Jane Austen herself is the ..."

I read that book also -- The Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor. It was pretty good but somehow didn't give the same feeling for the characters that Austen does. I didn't pick up the sequels so that tells you something. I read a real stinker of a book where there was some time travel and the hero had gone back in time & met Jane Austen. Then when he came back he met some contemporary lady who was the heroine of the story. I can't remember the title but will look it up for anyone interested. But I don't recommend it AT ALL. More enjoyable to me has been some of the continuation of the Pride & Prejudice book. There have been a few of them and it's good to get an update on the characters, so to speak. And much more modern writing of course.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (buttondoll) I have to say, I really enjoyed the first Jane mystery, "The Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor". I have already started the second one-so that tells you something...

message 17: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
I have just bought and will shortly be reading a book by Georgette Heyer :) she is meant to be similar :)

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments I've read one book by Georgette Heyer. I think it was "A Lady of Quality". It wasn't bad. I'll probably check out more of hers. Oh, have any of you guys read anything by Patricia Veryan? She is my absolute favorite author. She writes in the Regency period (as well as the Georgian period). You should def. check her out. The Sanguinet Saga is the series set in the Regency. One thing I like about her is she's clean*.

*by clean I mean no...okay I'm not even going to say the word. There is only kissing. The only thing I have an issue with is the fact that she uses old English curse words. Just the standard, but still, Ugh. I don't like it, but her writing is so good, I just bleep it in my head, replace it with another word and go on.

message 19: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh I will have to check her out!! :)

message 20: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments Yeah, definitly. If you're anything like me, you'll love her.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) After Austen and the Brontes (Jane Eyre in particular), Thomas Hardy is worth reading - I love Tess :)

message 22: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Interesting. Have you read any Gaskell?

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) No, but I plan to :)

message 24: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

let me know if you do read any how they are :) if you would be so kind :)

message 25: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

i recommend Georgette Heyer :)

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I've heard that many Austen fan like Georgette Heyer too, but I never read her novels, they're not so easy to find here.
Are they good? Are they a series or not? What titles do you recommend? :-D

message 27: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Well I am new Heyer reader but I am enjoying it all the same!! I definitely recommend them!
I have read Cotillion and Arabella and I recommend them both. My favourite is Arabella but they are both really good! :)
The hero and heroine are great in both and they both have great stories, very different stories!! :) I will let you know about others. I heard The Grand Sophy is also good! :)

message 28: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 158 comments Irene Aprile wrote: "I've heard that many Austen fan like Georgette Heyer too, but I never read her novels, they're not so easy to find here.
Are they good? Are they a series or not? What titles do you recommend? :-D"

Cotillion,Frederica,The Grand Sophy,Sprig Muslin
I am a huge Heyer fan:)

message 29: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

And Arabella! ;)
I loved it Nicole!! Now... Which next....

message 30: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments Thank you for the suggestions!

message 31: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 48 comments Has anyone read these?
An Assembly Such as This (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #1) by Pamela Aidan Duty and Desire (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #2) by Pamela Aidan These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3) by Pamela Aidan by Pamela Aidan

I really enjoyed them! :)

message 32: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments whenever i sued to think of jane austen i thought of jane eyre and charlotte bronte and those people...but daddy says that p and p is UP THERE and jane eyre is DOWN THERE

message 33: by Marren (last edited Nov 13, 2012 06:10PM) (new)

Marren | 764 comments lol, oh my, Becca your daddy's comment trigger a fit from me, woyyyyyy

Nope Aerykah, I haven't read these. It looks good :P Sometimes I judge a book by its cover :D.

message 34: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Haha Caro!! P&P is certainly UP THERE!!

And no I haven't read those. I have looked into them before. Still contemplating them :) you recommend them then?

message 35: by Aerykah (last edited Nov 14, 2012 03:46PM) (new)

Aerykah | 48 comments Soph wrote: "And no I haven't read those. I have looked into them before. Still contemplating them :) you recommend them then?"

Well, my sis-in-law & I really like them. So... yeah, I recommend them. :)

message 36: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

:)

message 37: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments haha kk im not reading any bronte i tried and failed

message 38: by Aerykah (last edited Nov 17, 2012 05:14PM) (new)

Aerykah | 48 comments I've only read one Brontë book -- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I really liked it! :)

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I love Jane Eyre too. Wuthering Heights is also worth a read although I find it a little depressing.

Tom Jones by Henry Fielding - brilliant. Mill on the Floss by George Elliot - excellent.

But best of all, I LOVE Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.

message 40: by Marren (last edited Nov 29, 2012 11:50AM) (new)

Marren | 764 comments I read Wuthering Heights many moons ago and it is one book I will never ever forget.

I have not read Jane Eyre. I keep saying I must read it because I have seen so many versions of Jane Eyre and also a prequel(well some folks say it is) : Wide Sargasso Sea. I will try to get it next year God spare.

The Bronte sisters love is peculiar, very sorrowful. That kind of love hard with hate, revenge.hmm

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I much prefer Austen's style of love. Persuasion is a love lost and rediscovered, which is great, but it isn't appealing to me the Bronte's ideas on love stories...

message 42: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments jane eyre and those plots r a little less mature then austen there a bit simple minded..

message 43: by Anna (last edited Feb 16, 2013 03:00AM) (new)

Anna | 4 comments Have you tried Thomas Hardy. It's a bit later than Jane Austen.
Try The Brides Farewell if you want a contemporary novel. The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff

message 44: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

That sounds great! I will have to try that one sometime :) thanks!

message 45: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 6 comments Aerykah wrote: "Has anyone read these?
An Assembly Such as This (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #1) by Pamela Aidan Duty and Desire (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #2) by Pamela Aidan These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3) by Pamela Aidan by Pamela Aidan

I really enjoyed them! :)"

These sound great. Thanks for the suggestion. I've added them to my TBR list. :-) They are a bit pricey right now, so I'm not sure when I can get to them yet.

message 46: by Nicole D. (last edited Feb 17, 2013 04:50PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 158 comments Anne wrote: "I've read one book by Georgette Heyer. I think it was "A Lady of Quality". It wasn't bad. I'll probably check out more of hers. Oh, have any of you guys read anything by Patricia Veryan? She is my ..."

Anne,Lady of Quality isn't her greatest work and was her last Regency romance.I recommend Frederica by Georgette Heyer , Cotillion  by Georgette Heyer , The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer , The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer (which has the most Austen feel to it)