Jane Austen discussion

Getting started > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 408 (408 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by valee (new)

valee Hey all. Welcome to this group. Remember you don't need to be a huge obsessive fan to be part of this group. Just enjoy Austen's work.

I'm Vale, from Uruguay and even though I had watched all Jane Austen's based movies, I had never read one of her books before. I adore all those movies. I just have a thing for that English period of time. The way they spoke,dressed and behave it just amazes me so much. I love it.

I am planing to read all Austen's book this year and discuss them at the same time with you all. So I hope the idea of this group was something good. I was not planing to make it a huge group. Just some members to discuss this terrific books. So welcome.

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) Hi I'm Carol and I read some of Jane Austen's novels many years ago and look forward to re-reading them and discussing her books and her life with other members of the Group. I have watched many of the excellent BBC adaptations of her novels over the years.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (baroness7) | 6 comments Hi, I'm Melissa. One of my goals this year was to read as many of the "classics" as I can. Unfortunately (or fortunately ;-) I discovered UF and PR books and have been heavily immersed since but I'm ready to get back on track. I too love the romanticism of the English period and adore Austen's wit. Thanks for the invite!

message 4: by valee (new)

valee Hey girls, thank you for joining!

message 5: by valee (new)

valee Really? That's so cool to know! But I wanna buy them all to have them as home,lol.

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Hi I'm Katherine and really love Jane Austen. About 3 years ago I discovered her and read every book. Some several times. She was a fantastic writer and I am so happy to find a group that will be going through each book.

message 7: by valee (new)

valee lol, glad to have you Katherine.Welcome.

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Hey, guys, I'm Leah. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan. The only book of hers that I haven't read is Persuasion. My favorite of her books is Pride and Prejudice, and seeing the Kiera Knightley version of that movie when it was in theaters was what motivated me to start reading her work.

Anyway, thanks for the group invite Vale. I'm looking forward to talking to everyone about Austen and her books :)

message 9: by valee (new)

valee Welcome Leah!

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (alannarey) | 2 comments Hey Everyone. If you are on any of Lady Vale's other groups you should know me by now. I love Jane Austen and wish I had a Mr. Darcy but unfortunatly he hasnt shown up. I really like books too that continue on with the stories and one of my favorite books is Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange and Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange . My favortie original book by Jane are Pride and Prejudice. People who love this book should really watch Falling into Austen which if you havnt seen it is amazing!!

message 11: by Rocio (new)

Rocio | 1 comments Hi all!!
I am Rocío and I love Jane Austen books. I read all of them (but one) when I was a teenager... of course, Pride and Prejudice a few times...
She describes so well every circumstance and feeling.
She was a great writer, amazing fighter for women rights and if I have not read one of them its because I like the feeling of still having one more of her books to enjoy :)

Glad to meet you all!

message 12: by valee (new)

valee Welcome Rocio! Glad to see more fans!

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (alannarey) | 2 comments Welcome Rocio

message 14: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Courtney, I loved Mr. Darcy's Diary, too! Some of my other favorite "sequels" to Pride and Prejudice, too, though, are Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues, Darcy & Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberley, and Darcy's Story.

message 15: by valee (new)

valee I never heard of those what are they? You should star a thread about her sequels.

message 16: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) The first two are by Linda Berdoll and the first one starts after Darcy and Elizabeth get engaged and at their wedding and goes about their married life. And the second one is a continuation of their life and when they have kids. And they talk about the other characters, too, like Mr. Wickham, Georgina, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Charlotte, etc. Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer is Pride and Prejudice through Mr. Darcy's eyes and you get his POV on everything and you see different things he does, like what happens during his absences during Pride and Prejudice.

message 17: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Hi I'm Adrienne, I haven't read any Austin! but have P&P and Emma on my TBR. I thought it would be great to join the group and widen my horizens so to speak.

message 18: by Haessly (new)

Haessly | 1 comments Hello, my name is Haessly and I'm a Jane Austen addict. :)

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (thebookwarrioress) | 4 comments My name is Nicole, a couple of you know me. I have a Jane Austen compilation book, but haven't read it all yet, because the thickness of the book makes it hard to read. Ha. Looks pretty on my bookshelf though.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather Hello, my name is Heather. I am a huge Jane Austen fan!! I can't wait to read all her brilliantly written novels once again!!

message 21: by ضحى (new)

ضحى الحداد (dhlola) hey i'm doha from kuwait there great group i can't wait to read jane austen books ..

message 22: by valee (new)

valee Welcome all new fans!! I just read one book myself but I have seen many many of the films done about them. I'm planning on reading a 2nd one very soon. I loved Mansfield Park. LOVED it!

message 23: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) Hello, I'm Em - I've read most Jane Austen books at some point, only Northanger Abbey still on my TBR list. Adrienne pointed me in you direction and I pleased to have found you because my in person bookgroup have decided to have a Jane Austen book discussion every other month so I intend to either read or re-read all these books over upcoming year or so and it's always good to hear what others think.

message 24: by valee (new)

valee Welcome to the group Em, we're happy to have you.

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Hi to all! I'm Lori and I've been a great fan of Ms Austen for many years. I'm not sure what came first the fan of the movies or the books. I'm pretty sure that I read Pride & Prejudice first before seeing the miniseries version with the TO DIE FOR Colin Firth as Darcy. Who would not be a fan after that version. I watch it every chance I can every version I can and love them all. I really enjoyed the newer versions of the other works of Austen's that appeared last year or the year before on Masterpiece Theatre. Most were very good. This year, though, my choice of Austen reading material was Persuasion. There is something about that book that really gets to you. So much pent-up passion and longing. A very different book. Loved it.

message 26: by valee (new)

valee Welcome Lori, nice to see new fans. I hope you'll read with us Northanger Abey this October. If not just feel free to discuss all the threads you like the most.

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Well, this will be a challenge. That will be something to enjoy. I'm lucky in that I've read just Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, and Persuasion. Emma was really next on the Jane List for me but I'm ready for the Abbey. Always so much to learn.

message 28: by valee (new)

valee We can read Emma next if that's what everybody wants, it could be our November read. I love this, to read one of her books every month and then talk about it.

message 29: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (Mariana-SB) | 8 comments Hey!!
My name is Mariana and I'm also a HUGE JA fan. I've always had a thing for classics, and when my English class read Pride and Prejudice I became addicted (suffice to say that I did an Extended Essay for the IB on the importance of eyes in Jane Austen's works, 3500 words aprox).
Looking forward to discussing this wonderful author with all you people!!

message 30: by valee (new)

valee Welcome girl, JA's fans are here for a reason,LOL. You can join as to the Northanger abbey read this October.

message 31: by Sanna (new)

Sanna | 2 comments Hi everyone!
I'm Sanna from Finland. I have been fan of Austen since I saw the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice in 1995. It's the only Austen book I have read so far and one of my favorite books.

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Sanna: I was slow to get to the reading of the books also. Most true fans have read all of the books but I still haven't gotten to them all. I started with P&P and read Sense & Sensibility later. That one took me a long time to get through. I put it down for a year or so and picked it up again. Took a while. But this year I took on Persuasion. Wow! That's a good one. Loved it as much as Pride & Prejudice. A real easy read. I still want to tackle Emma. But first I'll try Northanger Abbey for October read here. Sounds like fun to me.

message 33: by valee (new)

valee Sanna wrote: "Hi everyone!
I'm Sanna from Finland. I have been fan of Austen since I saw the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice in 1995. It's the only Austen book I have read so far and one of my favorite books."

Welcome Sanna. =)

We are gonna have fun with that group read,lol, I'm excited too Lori.

message 34: by Sanna (new)

Sanna | 2 comments Thank you Lori and Vale. I'm looking forwart to reading Northanger Abbey in this month.

message 35: by Satia (new)

Satia Hello everyone.

In 2000 I decided to read only books by women and in 2001 that is what I did. Ten years later I thought it would be fun to do this again and I've already decided that a part of my reading books only by women will include reading Jane Austen's writing from her juvenalia to her last published works. I may not be reading the same books you're scheduled to discuss when you'll be discussing them but I'll jump into the conversation when I catch up.

I'm looking forward to a lovely year of reading.

message 36: by valee (new)

valee Welcome Satia, and don't worry you can post wherever you want.

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (buttondoll) So glad to join your group! I am a big Janeite. Love all the books and movies. My favorite is of course, P&P, followed by Emma and Northanger Abby. Persuasion and S&S are also good-have to admit that I have not conquered Mansfield Park yet...
I also like to read some of the sequels, etc. I particularly liked "Confessions of a JA Addict". Spent Tuesday of this week watching the PBS P&P with Colin Firth, I got it for Christmas. SIGH. So sad when it was over. I look forward to joining all of the discussions. Happy New Year everyone!

message 38: by valee (new)

valee Welcome Andrea!

message 39: by Eva (new)

Eva Schon (evaschon) | 1 comments Hi Everbody!
I love, love, love Jane Austen's books. I've read several of the diaries of her main male characters by Amanda Grange, and read every book more than once. I'm an affirmed Janeite.

My favorite Jane Austen film is the Emma Thompson Sense and Sensibility. Wonderful!

message 40: by Michele (new)

Michele (myavino) | 5 comments Hello, my name is Michele and like everyone else, I love Jane Austen. I've been reading her books for a few years now Looking foward to discussing the books.

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
Hello :)
I'm Sophie and I am a huge fan!
I first began to love JA only a year ago when I was 15 and needed to read P&P for my english classes :) and it was amazing! now I am 16 and since have read Emma, S&S, Persuasion and NA leaving me only with MP which is next on my list. :)
Seen at least one adaptation of all the Austens's - two in most cases and love them too.
Really becoming a true Janeite :D

message 42: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 2 comments Hey I'm a huge fan! I've read every single one of her books, except Emma, (have to finish it). I've also seen every single one of the films made, except the newest Sense and Sensibility and Emma (I haven't been able to get a copy from my library yet.) I am a history major so I've researched different Regency era things to get a better understanding of her books. I just love Jane Austen! Favorite is Northanger Abbey and Mr. TIlney! :D

message 43: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

"I was invited by this fab group of super intelligent young women who have inspired me immensely to join in the passion for Jane Austen. I'm so glad that I was motivated by them as I find Austen to be just the best."

<3 bless you <3

message 44: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

:') <3

message 45: by Lady Wesley (new)

Lady Wesley (goodreadscomlady_wesley) | 22 comments Hello, fellow Janefans.

I was lucky enough to discover JA at a very young age (a hundred years ago, now) via Pride and Prejudice. Over the years, I've read all of her books several times.

My favorite is Persuasion, which I had never read until after I saw the 1995 film with Amanda Root and Ciarán Hinds. I must admit, though, that I preferred the 2007 version with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones, except for the silly ending with Anne running through the streets of Bath and Wentworth buying Kellynch Hall.

Why do movie producers persist in believing that they can improve on perfection? Witnesseth the ending of the most recent version of P&P, with Darcy and Lizzy staring into one another's eyes just like Sixteen Candles.

Ah, well, enough. I look forward to discussing all things Jane with the group.

message 46: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Pride and Prejudice was my way in to ;)
and i know what you mean...
but always nice to see new ones - so long as they are done well...
I prefer the 2007 persuasion as well :)

message 47: by Caity (new)

Caity | 26 comments Hello all!! My name is Alice and I'm a Janeite as well!!!! My first ja was Persuasion. Then Northanger. Then I jus read Pride and Prejudice and am hoping to read Sense and Sensibility soon!! :D nice to meet u all!
Thanks for the invite soph. ;) <3

message 48: by Lady Wesley (new)

Lady Wesley (goodreadscomlady_wesley) | 22 comments Lady Wesley wrote: "Hello, fellow Janefans.
Witnesseth the ending of the most recent version of P&P, with Darcy and Lizzy staring into one another's eyes just like Sixteen Candles.

Someone wrote and asked me about my reference to Sixteen Candles, which is 1980s romcom. Its only relevance to P&P is the end shot:

Compare to the P&P ending shot:

message 49: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

haha! so similar!!! and
YAY Alice!!!

message 50: by valee (new)

valee Welcome all new members :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9