Start by marking “Darcy's Story” as Want to Read:
Darcy's Story

Darcy's Story

When Elizabeth Bennet first met Mr. Darcy, she found him proud, distant, and rude—despite the other ladies' admiration of his estate in Derbyshire and ten thousand pounds a year. But what was Mr. Darcy thinking?

Jane Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice has long stood among the most beloved novels of all time. The story of Elizabeth Bennet's blossoming romance with "haughty
Published August 15th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Darcy's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darcy's Story

Start your review of Darcy's Story
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Grey. Midnight Sun. Rewriting a well-known story from the guy's point of view is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel, from a literary point of view: throwing out some chum to satisfy the rabid fan base and (to mix my metaphors) milk the cash cow.

It's bad enough when authors do it with their own creations, but worse when it's a beloved classic book (no longer protected by copyright). And worst, when the author has nothing worthwhile to add to the story.

I was gifted this book by a very
Nada
Aug 01, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: autistic fans of Jane Austen
Shelves: discarded, fanfiction
There were times when I was convinced that this book was written by a computer. So much of this book is merely a reshuffling of the sentences in Pride and Prejudice to make the story "from Darcy's perspective". Oooh, clever. The author does add some original scenes, especially between Darcy and his sister, but they utterly fail to ring true.

I think what people are actually seeking when they pick up a book like this are insights into other characters thoughts and emotions, which were not explic
Cara
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
Favorite line from the book: "In short, he found himself unable to control his own free will for the first time in his life." Isn't that just swoon worthy!

I enjoyed this book more I think because I'm not one of those hard core Jane Austen fans that would nitpick at little things. To actually appreciate this book fully Pride and Prejudice should be read first though because a lot of what is unexplained would bother a new reader to the Pride and Prejudice story.

The author did a wonderful job
Hilda
Jan 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilda by: Cris
Between reading this book and being in the midst of PBS' "The Complete Jane Austen" series, I have been submerged in Jane Austen's world the last few weeks. And you know what? I like it. Everyone is so civilized, and there are parties all the time and nobody seems to actually work for a living. They just have some sort of stipend allotted to them and they ride around in carriages and drink tea. I like tea.

Anyway, Darcy's Story is one in the ever growing genre of "sequels" to Jane Austen's Pride
Nikii
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenalia
I'd give this one six stars if I could.

The best Austen offshoot I've ever read. Lively prose and a ready wit combine with an interesting and well-thought-out view of Darcy's impulses and thought processes to make this a delightful and thought-provoking read.

Indeed, as soon as I finished it I picked up Pride & Prejudice for a re-read, and found that the action in the original was illuminated by Aylmer's insights into Darcy's motivations.

Pamela Aidan's more famous Darcy opus, while an excellent
Ren
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was ok
Well, the author handled the book very carefully . . . a little too carefully, I felt like it was the cliff notes version of P & P and I didn't learn anything new of value. I will admit that no matter what the author wrote she would not have scored more that three stars but she only got two because I would have preffered a little more juice - Mr. Darcy described as "flushed from exercise" (dripping wet in his soaked clothing emerging from a pond :) ) , his favorite breakfast, a little hobby we n ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
An accompaniment to Pride and Prejudice, it would dissipate like mist if you took away Austen's work. Someone else here said it was like reading the Cliff Notes version of P&P, and I would have to agree.

It's a sweet story, but there's nothing new here. How Darcy felt towards Lizzy, what Darcy did to find Wickham and Lydia, what his aunt Lady Catherine de Bourg said to him to make him try for Lizzie's hand again - these things are only slightly more detailed in Darcy's Story than in P&P. In her
Kim
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good love story
Recommended to Kim by: saw it on the shelf and it just spoke to me
OH MY!!!!! I love this story. It totally mirrors Pride & Prejudice but from Darcy's telling. Funny how I like him even more than before. I thought it was also funny how Darcy had a very different opinion of his meetings and conversations with Elizabeth than what is portrayed in P&P. I also love how this book gives more insight into his relationship with his Sister, Georgiana. Just as in Pamela Aidan's stories, I really enjoy this point of view and it shows a very sensitive side to Darcy that one ...more
 ~Geektastic~

I have never read an Austen continuation or sequel that comes anywhere near the original material. This isn't surprising, since most of these writers don't hold a candle to Austen in style, and most of them seem to completely forget that it is her style and biting humor that makes her books so great- not the "romance" or broody heroes.

Perhaps I wanted to read this because Darcy, like most of Austen's heroes, is not very alive on the page. Since she limits her perspective to her heroines, there i
Lisi
1. read: 02.06.2011 - 13.06.2011
2. read: 28.08.2015 - 29.08.2015
Jersy
From enjoyment alone I might have given this 5 stars, but I have ro admit that it added too few new things to the story and whole dialogs are exact copies of P&P.
(Edit: What the heck, I'm just giving every book that "feels like a 5 star" to me the appropriate rating now. Critique still stands, and that's ok.)
However, this also means that it is incredibly faithful to the original, portraying all the charactera accordingly and even the writing style is designed to match Jane Austen's. It also exp
Yvann S
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(copied from my blog, http://readingfuelledbytea.wordpress.com)

“His feelings of anxiety as he slipped out of the house that afternoon were not based on any apprehensions that his application to Miss Bennet might be rejected.”

This is exactly what it says on the tin – Darcy’s perspective during the timeline of Pride & Prejudice.

Despite my misgivings about fan fiction on Monday, and my apathetic remarks about P. D. James’ Death Comes to Pemberley on Tuesday, I am forced to recant – I really enjoyed
Samantha
Jan 28, 2008 rated it liked it
SarahC
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of Austenian tales
Shelves: austen-variation
Aylmer's story is one of the most straighforward retellings of the original Pride and Prejudice from Fitz Darcy's viewpoint. It is an economical version of 268 pages, as opposed to others than span several volumes.

We see that Darcy discovers early Elizabeth Bennet's importance to him and his future. However, in Aylmer's telling, Darcy is still inhibited by his own upbringing, believing with certainty that a female of less circumstance than he could not turn down his marriage proposal. Who could
LeAnn
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to LeAnn by: Sandy DeHart
Unlike modern romance novels, Pride and Prejudice narrates the story solely from the voice of the heroine, Elizabeth Bennet. Readers identify with her and experience her initial dislike of the hero, Mr. Darcy only to grow to love him as she does. Not knowing his mind or his feelings plays an essential role in Elizabeth's uncertainty and anxiety once she realizes that she cares for him, adding a delicious tension to the story until almost the end. Additionally, for both Elizabeth and the reader, ...more
Neens Bea
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-novels, 2015, 2017
Wow. I would have thought it completely impossible to improve on Pride and Prejudice, but it has always disappointed me a little that Jane Austen didn't include much dialogue in the final part of the novel. For that reason, reading this book was a complete and utter delight. Janet Aylmer has captured Jane Austen's language perfectly, and the conversations she has added between Darcy and Lizzie are so beautiful (and so romantic!) that they almost took my breath away. This is a book I will reread ...more
Chelsea
Jul 26, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Within the first chapter, Darcy explains to Colonel Fitzwilliam who Lady Catherine is.

For the record, he explains to his cousin who their aunt is.

... If there were a prize for awkward exposition, this book would win every year.

It's crap. A big, steaming pile of crap.

Just read Pride and Prejudice again. You'll be reading half of the same words, anyway, and they'll be much better in Austen's voice.
Kristen
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has recently read (or reread)and enjoyed the original
What Jane Austen fan doesn't want to get a peek into Darcy's socially-awkward noggin?

I usually don't go in for Jane Austen sequels/prequels/midquels/what have you, but I really enjoyed this one. True, a lot of the text is a reworking of Austen's original text, but, frankly, I think that this is probably a major reason why I enjoyed the book as much as I did.
Corinne
Although I liked the story, it's just a rehash of "Pride and Prejudice" and thus nothing new. Moreover, the author blow's her own horn in the afterword.
Elin Eriksen
Pride and prejudice in Mr Darcy POV.
This has been done better by others, far to much rehash for my taste...
Marrie
description

How do I express what I am about to say? How do I even communicate this blasphemy? How can I not be shunned by my feelings? Okay, I'm just going to come right out and say it.

I didn't hate Darcy's Story.

I know as an ardent fan of the original, I should have been very critical of this book. I should have ripped it to shreds. I should have been annoyed by how the author recycled passages from the original. I should have been banging my head against the wall whilst reading this.

But I didn't hate t
Valerie
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good book, good book. I’d always wondered about Darcy when I was reading Pride and Prejudice because you just think of Darcy the way Elizabeth does so I thought it would be interesting to see what Darcy might’ve thought while Elizabeth was hating him. And I was right. Before I go farther I should mention that I really liked Pride and Prejudice but I’m not a diehard fan.

Darcy’s Story stays true to the original. About 90% of dialogue Darcy has with Elizabeth is straight from the book. But you get
Beth
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Finally! A book based on Pride and Prejudice that didn't make me crazy!

I have tried several books of this type and, until now, they all made me wonder if the authors read the same book as me.

There was the one where Mr. Darcy had a tryst (i.e. sex) in a garden folly and it was not with Elizabeth. Can you imagine the dignified Mr. Darcy happily going at it in the open air with his trousers around his ankles? I certainly can't.

And then there was the one where he pretty much saved England during on
Taylor
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Pride and Prejudice who don't mind a little "fan fiction"
Recommended to Taylor by: My history teacher
I thought this book was so cute... It was a very sweet version of Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's perspective. It was interesting to have the blanks filled in, where Darcy and Elizabeth are separated from one another during the story. It is almost exactly how I would have filled in those blanks myself. I love how we can see the realationship of Darcy and Georgiana.

I love that this is true to the story.... Often using dialogue from the novel. I couldn't bring myself to give this more than fo
Sharon
Short and sweet, definitely a cute read for fans of Pride and Prejudice when you don't have time for the full original novel.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel like this story added too much to the original character of Darcy and it relied far too heavily on exposition, especially in the first two chapters. For some reason, rather than starting at the same time as Pride and Prejudice, it starts earlier (view spoiler), but it quickly hurtles through that plot
Jen
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What I want from fan fiction: a new perspective on the original that deepens my understanding of the characters, plot, or theme.

What I got from this book: pages and pages of dialogue and description lifted verbatim from Pride and Prejudice.

How did this even get published? How is this book not plagiarism?
Michelle Watson Forbes
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this version, it is a great second look at a beloved classic. I think Miss Austen would approve!
Rose Stanley
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great companion to Pride and Prejudice, felt authentic and like the author really loved the original.
No surprises here, just a nice cosy read.
Sruthi
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
For anyone, who is as obsessed with P & P as I am - and I'm certain there are many - the most natural thing is to wonder, after you've read P & P, what was going on in Darcy's head. What's his side of the story? His point of view, his opinions? Jane Austen told us one of the greatest love stories (I'm going out on a limb here, but I dare you to refute me) through the heroine's eyes. While Elizabeth is a practical and generally sensible story teller, it might seem very biased. Just the story-tell ...more
Nicky
Darcy's Story, by Janet Aylmer, is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice from the point of view of Mr Darcy. Pride and Prejudice isn't one of my favourite novels -- far from it, although I have learnt to appreciate it at least a little -- so I suppose it isn't too surprising that I'm not all that enchanted by this retelling of it. Janet Aylmer's writing isn't as capable or smooth as Jane Austen's, although I suspect a good part of that is due to the fact that she's trying to imitate Jane Austen. No ...more
My thoughts on Darcy 2 41 Nov 21, 2008 02:01PM

• Mr. Darcy's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #1)
  • Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues (Darcy & Elizabeth, #1)
  • Darcy's Passions: Pride and Prejudice Retold Through His Eyes
  • An Assembly Such as This  (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #1)
  • Jane Austen Ruined My Life
  • After Anne: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • When Good-Bye is Forever: Learning to Live Again After the Loss of a Child
  • Letters from Pemberley: The First Year
  • Late Migrations: A Natural History of Love and Loss
  • The Houseguest: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Conclave (Devil's Night, #3.5)
  • The Companion's Secret: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Herbs for Natural Beauty: Create Your Own Herbal Shampoos, Cleansers, Creams, Bath Blends, and More
  • Engagement and Espionage (Solving for Pie: Cletus and Jenn Mysteries Series, #1)
  • Losing Lizzy: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • All the Presidents' Pastries: Twenty-Five Years in the White House, A Memoir
  • A Fierce Radiance

Janet has written 6 books, including two bestsellers.

She lives in the south of England.

Janet enjoys Regency romances and other novels, particularly those by Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen, and most books about history and the way the world works.

She likes to visit theatres and cinemas, and to listen to music.

Janet enjoys French history, food and wine, and her family has owned a holiday house in