Unwind (Unwind, #1) Unwind discussion

Authors who write too well

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pandora (last edited Jun 30, 2008 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pandora Every finish a book and then want to hit the author over the head for being too good. I just had that encounter with this book. Can't get Roland out of my head. Every so often when I think the image is gone it pops back in. Trying not to give anything away.

I have had this problem before. When Elephants Danced was a tough read. Fortuntely it was balanced with the outside stories so you could relex a bit.

There was also William Sleator's House of Stairs. That was a real rough ride. Especially the ending.

The worst though is Robert Commier. Keep trying to stay away but, oh but his plots would pull me in. Then comes the end and saying please please be nice. Never is. Last read Rag and Bone Shop and have managed to stay away. Then comes Shusterman.

Brigid ✩ Wow, I know what you mean!! I picked up this book thinking it was going to be some light adventure story; I never expected it to be so deep and disturbing! That scene w/Roland... OMG, that was a work of genius the way it was written! I was almost crying as I read it... actually a lot of parts in this book made me cry. And books don't typically make me cry! I like how the writing style is relatively simple, yet it says a lot at the same time. I wish I could write like that--saying so much in so few words. Unwind was really amazing, but in a completely different way than I expected.

Pandora I was dreading reading this book because I have read Shusterman before and I felt oh, boy this could be rough. What was really hard was it could be real. I was filled with so much anxity and worry for the characters. The scene with Roland reminded of Val Lewton. He was a 1940's film producer whose trademark was to always work in the shadows because the audience could put more into a scene than he could especially in the 1940's.

Brigid ✩ wow, cool.
the only shusterman book i'd read before unwind was everlost, which i really liked. it was a little sad, but WOW it was nowhere near as compelling as Unwind. recently i read Downsiders, which was good, but once again, not quite as good as Unwind.

Pandora I think it will be a long time before he writes anything as good as Unwind. That may end up as his masterpiece. Many authors get one a few lucky ones get a tie. Have you tried Full Tilt? That is really good one.

Brigid ✩ i'll look for it at the library. ;D
u may be right; it'll probably be really hard for shusterman to write anything as good as this... perhaps even impossible. i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Janepage I read Everlost before Unwind too, and I have to say it's a close tie, I really loved both of them!

Jeanette Johnson You all need to try his book Bruiser....it's awesome!!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jeanette wrote: "You all need to try his book Bruiser....it's awesome!!!"

I agree--just got through reading Bruiser, and it is great!!!

Julie S. What I like about Shusterman is that each of his books has a unique flavor. I have read Downsiders, Unwind, and Bruiser. While I can tell that they are all by the same author, they do not really resemble each other. With some authors, it feels like they are recycling plots or characters, but each of these books felt fresh and new.

Anshu Just finished reading "Unwind" & all I can say is "wow". The world the writer has created is really scary. His writing is simple and I like it that way. I'm planning to read his other novels.

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary I think that as much as we would like for Shusterman to make a sequel for unwind, he won´t be able to make it as good.
I hope he proves me wrong.

Kimberly i read Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman and Bruiser by Neal Shusterman both are reallly goood. he is an amazing author. im picking up another one of his books today !

maddie i really didnt like unwind...kinda made me sad and angry how parents could just do that to teir kids.

Anshu maddie wrote: "i really didnt like unwind...kinda made me sad and angry how parents could just do that to teir kids."

Yeah, it was really hard to believe parents getting their children unwound, but other than that i loved the book.

maddie and the tithing...how could a could just donate himself?????? IT IS PSYCHOTIC!! i get where your coming from though lol... iliked how well their romance grew throughout everythng and how t the end they dealt with everything.. :)

Etough This book stuck with me for a very long time. It was so well written but so incredibly disturbing that I couldn't get some of the scenes out of my head!

Emily this book was very well written. i guess i just enjoy dark, disturbing reads. many of the books ive read-the hunger games, the maze runner- are like that. this book is definitely among my favorites. i cant wait for the sequel- Unwholly ( great title:)). i believe it will be published in 2012.

Cynth veeeery interesting book

Belle Banuelos This book was great! It made me imagine what the world would be like if parents were actually allowed to do that. It's crazy to imagine parents being able to decide their childrens fate, but I guess if you're part of a society that encourages it, it no longer becomes a big deal. Which is scary because thats something you see everything day. Not parents getting their kids unwound, obviously, but what we allow to happen everyday just because hardly anyone tries to change things.

message 21: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J Belle wrote: "This book was great! It made me imagine what the world would be like if parents were actually allowed to do that. It's crazy to imagine parents being able to decide their childrens fate, but I gues..."

But parents are allowed to do just that--through abortion and the killing of their own children--but never being convicted.

Belle Banuelos J wrote: "Belle wrote: "This book was great! It made me imagine what the world would be like if parents were actually allowed to do that. It's crazy to imagine parents being able to decide their childrens fa..."

It's not quite the same though. In the book it's much worse because these parents raised their kids and still decided to do away with them. As for the abortion issue that's something everyone has differing opinions of.

Sophie OH MY GOSH THAT PART WITH ROLAND!! SO INTENCE!! But a very good book. Loved it.

Julia Creepy-Weird book. LOVED IT!!!

Maxim "Hecka Boss Super Floss"
--Isaac Roth

Sophie "Nice socks"
-conner

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I want to use that on someone!!

Sophie THat would be AWESOME

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I wish it was extended into a series or something...So we could know how it ended..

Sophie yeah that would be nice

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I thought it was a series when I got it from the library..I was sorta upset when I realized it wasn't.

Sophie Same here. But i got it from my sisters shelf. I thought it was going to be scary because she told me they cut up teens in it.

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) oh...Well I wasn't sure what they meant on the front cover but I decided to read it anyway..and I really liked it..I <3 PEETA!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry random...)

Sophie peeta?

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) from The Hunger Games!! He is like the best book character ever!! and I <3 him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sophie Never read it

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) You should!! If you liked Unwind, then you'll love THGT!! The characters are amazing (especially Peeta!!)!! And it's just uggg I <3 the books!!

Maxim Ya i read both books but i like unwind better

Sophie Have you read beautiful creatures? Thats a good one. If you like the kinda sifi stuff.

Sophie I LOVE IT!!!!!

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) what's it about??

Sophie stuff...jk. Its hard to explain...not realy, its just really long.

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) oh..I'll look it up on this website...

Sophie that works :)

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) I looked at it and it looked pretty interesting..However I really don't like when characters say "Oh I can't love you! Your too dangeous!!" and stuff like that...Is it mainly a love story?? Cause I read Evernight and it was okay..not great but okay...(sorry sorta strict about books..)

Sophie thats ok. It is kinda "Oh I cant love you" book, but i really liked it because it reminded me of my (drama queen) friend. And because the dude in it plays basketball and sounds really hot. But if you are going to read it thers little parts that are a little graficy.

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) Well I don't know wheather I would want to read it then (no offense)..I sorta got sick of those books after I read Everrnight...

Sophie none taken. But read matched THAT ONE IS AMAZING!!!

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) really!! I got that book from library and I'm gonna read it!!! I also read Delirium (really really good book!)

« previous 1