Caldecott Books discussion

What have you read lately?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 11 comments The Caldecott Books I have read lately are The Invention of Hugo Cabret and Baboushka and the Three Kings. I really enjoyed The Invention of Hugo Cabret because the illustrations were just beautiful and the story was so exciting!!! Baboushka was alright, but I felt like the story was just too sad and the illustrations were a bit too simplistic.

message 2: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 5 comments We just did "The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship." I wasn't overly impressed.

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 11 comments Kirei wrote: "We just did "The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship." I wasn't overly impressed."

Was it the illustrations? I liked the story, but I felt like the illustrations were just too plain. I liked the Rabbit Ears' version of The Fool and the Flying Ship much better, only because the illustrations were more lively.

message 4: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 5 comments It was too long for a snuggly cuddle. That is mainly why I didn't like it.

Also, I understand that it is a folk tale, so I don't hold the ending against it. However, I sort of wish we would have been surprised with, "I don't want to marry your daughter anyway!" or something like that. The story is not much different than so many folk tales I have read.

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 11 comments Kirei wrote: "It was too long for a snuggly cuddle. That is mainly why I didn't like it.

Also, I understand that it is a folk tale, so I don't hold the ending against it. However, I sort of wish we would ha..."

Oh yeah! I have noticed that many folktales and fairy tales have happy endings all the time. Sometimes, I do wonder if there was a folktale or fairytale that had an unhappy ending.

message 6: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 11 comments I have just read Kitten's First Full Moon and I really enjoyed it! I thought that it was really cute and interesting and the illustrations were just so beautiful!

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 2 comments just finished Sendak's "Outside,Over There". oddest book to get an Honor?

message 8: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 11 comments Jim wrote: "just finished Sendak's "Outside,Over There". oddest book to get an Honor?"

Oh yes. I think that "Outside Over There" was an odd book to get an Honor, but the illustrations were beautiful!

message 9: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments We just read Ten, Nine, Eight by Molly Bang. It was ok. Engaging for my preschoolers, but not so much for my 5 yr old. Anyone else ever read it?

message 10: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments Just picked up Freight Train by Donald Crews today at the library. My 2 (almost 3) yr old twins loved it. I wrote a review on it. We've already read it several times.

message 11: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments Guess I'm talking to myself here, but think I'll keep listing these books in case anyone is interested. Today we read Click, Clack, Moo Cows that Type by Doreen Cronin and we loved it! Adorable story and funny, a book our whole family enjoyed. Anyone else read it?

message 12: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments Just read the man who walked between the towers and olivia. Both great books.

message 13: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments Read Where the wild things are today, as well as there was an old lady who swallowed a fly. Wild things was as great as expected, however the old lady who swallowed the fly wasn't what I remember the old folk song to be, a little disappointed, even in the illustrations.

message 14: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments my friend rabbit was on the list for today. the kids loved it.

message 15: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments Read Strega Nona today. Kids thought it was okay.

message 16: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments Just read Officer Buckle and Gloria. It was "eh".

message 17: by Philip (new)

Philip Yohan (flipyoh) | 1 comments just read "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman, and I enjoyed it more than Coraline.. :)

message 18: by midnightfaerie (new)

midnightfaerie | 11 comments Can't wait to read that one!

message 19: by Jack (last edited Oct 09, 2015 11:45AM) (new)

Jack (jack_wool) | 19 comments Caldecott Medal 1963.
The Snowy Day written and illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats, published by Viking, a division of Penguin Books (1962).

From http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/
Ezra Jack Keats broke the color barrier in children’s literature with the mainstream success of The Snowy Day, in 1962. He believed that all children should be able to see themselves in books they love.

A wonderful enjoyment of the snowy day where we can be little Peter or read with our child/grandchild and imagine our day of the first snowfall.

Age Range: 2 and up
Grade Level: Preschool - Kindergarten
Lexile Measure: 500L

message 20: by Jack (last edited Oct 09, 2015 11:46AM) (new)

Jack (jack_wool) | 19 comments 1970 Caldecott Honor Book
Goggles! , written and illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats, published by Viking, a division of Penguin Books (1969).

•October is National Bullying Prevention Month. Keats adds a dramatic crisis to Peter, A Snowy Day, and Archie's discovery of Goggles. See lesson plan at: http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/lesson...

"Peter has found a rare treasure, a pair of old, beat-up motorcycle goggles. He and his best friend Archie are on their way to Archie’s front stoop with their prize when they run into a neighborhood gang that wants those goggles, too. What the bullies don’t understand is how hard it is to catch two smart boys and one crafty dog."
"The story of Goggles! is about dealing with bullies, but in the hands of Ezra Jack Keats, it’s about much more. There’s Peter and Archie’s friendship, the loyalty of Willie the dog, the thrill of finding the goggles and the adrenaline rush of the boys’ escape. The bullies threaten physical harm—one punches Peter and knocks him down—but they prove to be little more than a backdrop for the boys’ courage and ingenuity. Adventures need bad guys, even in your own neighborhood."
http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/

Age Range: 3 - 7 years
Grade Level: Preschool - 2

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth Nichol | 1 comments midnightfaerie wrote: "Just picked up Freight Train by Donald Crews today at the library. My 2 (almost 3) yr old twins loved it. I wrote a review on it. We've already read it several times."

My granddaughter loves this book! Fun for counting and naming colors.

message 22: by The Bookworm (new)

The Bookworm  Review  (gabbybookworm) | 1 comments I just read a host of children's books by author Nicholas A. Priceto my children's reading circle groups. They were really fun and educational but my personal faves were The Tapeworm, The Moon Has A Big Head and Hop On Board - The illustrations were brilliant and my reading circle kids just loved them ALL.
If there are any short story books you can recommend for me to bring to my enthusiastic reading groups please connect/let me know! Thanks