SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Book Recommendations & Favorites > Lesser known fantasy series?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments Just wondering if anyone had any. I recently discovered the Rogue Mage series through swap, which I plan on starting sometime

message 2: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 11, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Patrick, are you looking for straight fantasy (Song of Ice & Fire, Wheel of Time) or Urban Fantasy? The Rogue Mage series, as well as the Mercy Thompsons are considered Urban Fantasy.

If you're looking for more UF series, you'll get lots of recommendations here. :)

One I'm reading now that's a UF series that is a popular one with men is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. It's about a wizard named Harry Dresden who lives in Chicago, and it's really a great series. The 1st 2 start off a bit slow--world-building & such, but they pick up with the 3rd. I'm reading the 10th right now and I just love Harry & all his friends. Great characters, snarky humor, they're great. :)

And they're nice because each book is it's own complete story--the next one picks up a few months down the road, and while there are overarching storylines throughout the books, you definitely don't need to read them all back to back. So far, I have run into no cliffhangers as of the 10th book, but I have heard that the 12th one has a doozy of a cliffhanger. I might wait to read that one until the 13th is out next year. :)

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) by Jim Butcher Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) by Jim Butcher Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29066 comments He also has a book of Dresden short stories coming out later this year. It's called Side Jobs, I believe. I think someone said it will pick up minutes after the 13th ended.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments Haha well either one, though I prefer straight fantasy. Though, I don't think I'll have enough time to read most of it.

I plan on starting the Blood Lily Chronicles soon though :)

message 5: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I really enjoyed The Werewolf Saga by Steven E. Wedel:

Nadia's Curse (recently written prequel)
Call to the Hunt (with an introduction by Kelley Armstrong)
Murdered By Human Wolves
Shara
Ulrik
"Nadia's Children" (Coming soon)

Call to the Hunt by Steven E. Wedel Murdered By Human Wolves by Steven E. Wedel Shara by Steven E. Wedel Ulrik by Steven E. Wedel

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user Well, I don't know if they'd be to your tastes, LOL. But here are some lesser-known fantasy that I enjoy. At least I think they're lesser-known?

The Bridei Chronicles by Juliet Marillier
Chronicles of Sirkara by Laura Resnick
The Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn

Have you read Dave Duncan or Melanie Rawn?

message 7: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments As far as a series being more popular or unknown, I don't really know--I don't hang out at the straight fantasy groups like I do at the UF ones. But Patrick, check out my "fantasy" bookshelf--I have a bunch of stuff on there, and you can see a bit of what's out there and the ratings other people have given.

Laura's Fantasy Shelf

Yikes. I have 432 books on there, but I've only read 75 of them. I have an addiction to adding books to my to-read bookshelf. :)

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments Well I probably won't get to read most of the books posted here, but I always enjoy checking out new series. Thanks for the links! :D

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna  (ncdonnas) Laura, your fantasy shelf is great! There's a lot of titles on there I hadn't heard of before.

Patrick you could definitely check out Brent Weeks Night Angel series, which I think would be straight fantasy, certainly not Urban. It is about assassins and although I wouldn't call it lesser known, it is a great series.

message 10: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 12, 2010 08:45PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Donna wrote: "Brent Weeks Night Angel series, which I think would be straight fantasy, certainly not Urban. It is about assassins and although I wouldn't call it lesser known, it is a great series. "

Yeah! I'm glad to hear that. I bought the 1st one when B&N was having that sci-fi/fantasy sale a few months ago. :)

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments Well, by lesser known I meant: "A fantasy series that isn't Harry Potter, LOTR, Twilight or Narnia." You know, the series that need more attention :)

message 12: by Jayded (new)

Jayded Patrick wrote: "Well, by lesser known I meant: "A fantasy series that isn't Harry Potter, LOTR, Twilight or Narnia." You know, the series that need more attention :)"

I can't help, as I don't read fantasy, however my son does I'll ask him for some suggestions when I can, and let you know.

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments i believe my friend has some of the night angel books. they look really cool!

message 14: by Miss (last edited Oct 17, 2010 04:20AM) (new)

Miss | 259 comments The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Best fantasy book i've ever read and my favorite read of the year.

message 15: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Miss wrote: "The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Best fantasy book i've ever read and my favorite read of the year."

I read this about 2 years ago and am dying for the 2nd one to finally come out. I'm going to have to reread the 1st--there was so much, I'm afraid I've forgotten a bunch of important stuff. :(

message 16: by Miss (new)

Miss | 259 comments The second book comes out in just a few months. Yay!

message 17: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 16 comments I'm not sure if these are lesser known or not but my favorite fantasy series are:

in no particular order
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (though I'd wait until the 2nd book is actually released - it's had a couple of "release" dates now)

The Bridei Chronicles by Juliet Marillier - starts with The Dark Mirror

and... The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. The first book is Mistborn: The Final Empire

message 18: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Sabrina Fair wrote: "I enjoy the Raine Benares series by Lisa Shearin

Magic Lost, Trouble Found (Raine Benares, #1) by Lisa ShearinArmed & Magical (Raine Benares, #2) by Lisa ShearinThe Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares, #3) by Lisa Shearin[bookcover:Bewitched & Be..."

I've read all but the last, mainly because I know Raine is going to turn chicken and choose the "safe" guy and I can't bear it. I hate love triangles! The heroines always choose the I guy I'm not backing :(

message 19: by new_user (new)

new_user Shanon wrote: "I'm not sure if these are lesser known or not but my favorite fantasy series are:

in no particular order
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (though I'd wait until the 2nd bo..."

I second the Bridei Chronicles! <3

message 20: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I'm halfway through Magic Lost, Trouble Found and loving it so far. It reminds me a little of Karen Chance's series (which I also love!)
I also like it when the romance starts slow and builds up through the series, like with the Mercy Thompson series or Kate Daniels.

message 21: by new_user (new)

new_user I don't like love triangles either. It's an easy plot device when an author has no other material, and sometimes there seems to be no valid reason for a heroine to be attracted to one of the guys.

message 22: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series is a favorite of mine. The fourth book was written several years after the original trilogy and suffers slightly in comparison, but I'm currently re-reading all four before moving onto the most recent release.

Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, #1) by Lynn Flewelling Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2) by Lynn Flewelling Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3) by Lynn Flewelling Shadows Return (Nightrunner, #4) by Lynn Flewelling The White Road (Nightrunner, #5) by Lynn Flewelling

Lynn Flewelling's Tamir Trilogy is excellent. I've reread these many times since they came out. They take place in the same universe as, but years earlier than, the Nightrunner books. It's not necessary to read the others before reading these.

The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1) by Lynn Flewelling Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2) by Lynn Flewelling The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3) by Lynn Flewelling

If you like court intrigue and complex plots, Michelle Sagara West's Sun Sword Series might interest you. The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword, # 1) by Michelle Sagara West The Uncrowned King (The Sun Sword, #2) by Michelle Sagara West The Shining Court (The Sun Sword, #3) by Michelle Sagara West Sea of Sorrows (The Sun Sword, #4) by Michelle Sagara West The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5) by Michelle Sagara West The Sun Sword (The Sun Sword, #6) by Michelle Sagara West

message 23: by new_user (new)

new_user Good series. One of these days I have to read all the Sun Sword books.