Message in a Bottle Message in a Bottle discussion

throwing it out the Window

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maddie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maddie did anyone else throw this book out the window when the read the ending?? or am i the only one!?!?

message 2: by Terpsicore (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Terpsicore i haven't finished it yet but i can't say i'm enjoying it. it's readable but i don't know, predictable maybe?
after reading your comment i must really finish it.

message 3: by Robin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Robin Young i was reading this on a long drive and i honestly did throw it into the back of the car when i read the ending. RIDICULOUS.

Ruth More so sad rather than RIDICULOUS.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Thought the book was sad, try the movie (Kevin Costner, ugh)

Peggy In our family, this is known as the book that mom (me) hated so much that she threw it across the van during a family vacation. Maddie and Robin, I am with you 100%.

Ilze is this because the book is too true to life and you needed a "happily ever after"-ending?

Peggy No, I wasn't looking for a happily-ever-after ending; I thought the entire story was implausible and the characters were unappealing and thoroughly self-indulgent.

Ilze Maybe you should read "Letter in a bottle" for a real-life version. Go to http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica CONTAINS SPOILER. I am new to Goodreads and was trolling through Books I Hated, which naturally prompted me to come look at these comments. Hated this book, partly because the characters were not sympathetically drawn. SPOILER ALERT!! More importantly, there's a place for chosing suicide because you can't get over the loss of yr spouse. But not to end a romance with someone else. CERTAINLY not to end a WORK OF FICTION about a romance with somebody else. I am now cruising over to check comments on "The Notebook," which I read subsequently. I'll certainly never read another N. Sparks.

message 11: by Ilze (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilze I very much doubt that he did it on purpose.

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica Well, he did know he was going farther to sea than he should, and he could see a storm coming up, and he did sense that the good sailor within him would have turned back sooner...

message 13: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali this was soooooo sad!! i was soo surprised that he died! i thought they wree going to be together.. but i gess not :/

Virendra Janghel My first 'Nicholas Sparks' was "A Walk to Remember"...Before dat I can't imagine myself reading a luv story so intently... But finished it in one read... It was so gud..
Next i try "Message..".. Story is fast paced initially.. Middlesome is quite bore... Unlike the guys here i lyk the ending... Glad dat Theresa ultimately can understand: D feelings- love whom u love more dan lyf leaves u never 2 come back...
Though two N.Sparks are enough...

Farzan I didn't throw it out because I believe in real life and part of every fiction books are reality which show itself in other ways, we always expect to see happily ever after ending but real life is not happily ever after , sometimes is happily never after, so we should face with realities. you lose someone even if you're loving him/her so, this is part of our lives. therefore, I kept reading it 4 times and every time i enjoyed reading it

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill I hated the ending, but like Farzan said above, he doesn't always tie everything up in a pretty bow, because that is not how life works. BTW... I have read of of his novels and I keep reading how everyone loves "A Walk to Remember"...that is my least favorite of his books.

Robin Yeah, the ending was sad, but then it had to tie in somehow with message in a bottle, If only he made another message in a bottle to save himself.

Robin they had the audacity to compare it to Titanic. Sheesh.

message 19: by Zaid (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaid Shaban ComWa wrote: "More so sad rather than RIDICULOUS."

Maddie wrote: "did anyone else throw this book out the window when the read the ending?? or am i the only one!?!?"

i agree with you ,,,,,

message 20: by Zaid (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaid Shaban the book is 100 time better than the move though!!

Jeruel Bert I loved this book!
made me cry for a couple of days.
Oh I just love a sad ending. haha!
its my one of my favourites, btw.
:)

Sendy Felicita I like this book. Though I hate how it ends. Perhaps it's Nicholas Sparks' style to write such stories. Well, I didn't throw it out the window, but I never wish to read it again.

Emily [GASP!] This is my favorite book he has written.

Robin The Wedding is another good of Nicholas Sparks, Message in a bottle is good too.

Sarouel i did better then trowing it out the window, i gave it to my mother..not that i hate her (of course not), but she loves stuff like that..i'm totally HEA, or at least i like to read "not HEA" with some kind of logic behind. i'm glad someone agrees with me..i needed to let that out, for years i haven't found a single lady who didn't like nicholas sparks book's..

Robin Some of his books are better than others. He does go more for the female audience. People like who they like, he writes from a good point of view. What is HEA?

Robin Oh that is what HEA, makes sense, real life sometimes is not happily ever after. I am not a cynic, just a realist. But who wouldn't want romantic gestures such is Sparks forte.

Shobana i lovd the book!!!!...
it was heartbreaking.but it was really sad too.
the ending could have been much more not anti-climax.

message 29: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy G I didn't throw this book across the room.....mostly because it was a library book but also because I was more stunned at the ending then sad. I kind of just sat there not sure what to do for five minutes after reading the book.

Also, I agree with Zaid the book is WAY better than the movie!

Anette I actually did want to throw it out the window. I was so angry it ended that way. and it actually made me cry. Good grief, Nicholas Sparks knows how to create a sad, sad story.

Robin I know I found the ending unbelievable. That is Nicholas Sparks novel weaver extraordinaire.

Nouran Gamal i didn't like this one, was so boring for me

Michael It was not my favorite by Sparks, but it was an interesting read.

Ashley I have read all of his books except the newest one. This book and A Walk to Remember I HATED! I didnt understand why, but I LOVED this movie and A Walk to Remember. The other books I have loved and hated the movies. Maybe Im just weird.

Crystalmarie Loved it. When reading NS books, i always expect and/or want a sad ending. Im always surprised when its not.
Even if it wasn't my cup of tea, i would never throw his books out the window lol. :p

message 36: by Ashley (last edited Aug 26, 2011 08:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ashley  Pittman I feel your pain, i too did not enjoy the ending of this book.i actually couldnt believe it when it happened and im pretty sure i had to go back and read the ending again just to make sure i didnt skip a line or something random like that. the only thing i could say when it was over was "did this REALLY?? just happen?" i was caught waaaay off guard on this one..

message 37: by Nez (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nez when i was about to finish reading the novel>>>>.

i was hoping. really i am that what i think was wrong>>>>> wooOooO T_-

but>>> it was totally sad>>>>>>>>>>

Nancy Boone I loved this book. The ending was really surprising and so sad but then life can have those same endings. Everything in life isn't happily ever after.

Célia Loureiro the end was exactly WHY I prefer this instead of other Nicholas Sparks novels.

message 40: by Zaid (last edited Oct 18, 2011 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaid Shaban Célia wrote: "the end was exactly WHY I prefer this instead of other Nicholas Sparks novels."

i agree 100% the end was Wow

message 41: by Zaid (last edited Oct 18, 2011 05:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaid Shaban The End of the Book : the best part of this book is the end of it, and i remmember i was sitting in the Plane a few years ago and i was finishing the book just when the plane landed and i was so saad and focusing!!! and the entire passengers left the plane and i discovered that when the flight host taped on my sholder ,,, i was surprised i said yes and she smiled to me and said would you like to leave the plane or stay here tonight :-) i was soooooo into the story and it was a mix of saadness, love and anger :-)

message 42: by Leana (new) - added it

Leana I could not agree with those who threw the book after reading the end part. I love the book, most especially the ending. It made me realize few of the most important things in loving. It is loving with all of your heart completely without expecting any in return. To love without any reason that can be comprehended by those who aren't feeling it. To love and be just happy knowing that the other person is happy even if its breaking you gently. I am a certified hopeless romantic, but I am happy with it. Because I'm certain that I know how to love truly.

Célia Loureiro Beautiful point of view. I'd only add that I loved the end because it makes you think that you won't have infinite chances of getting THE ONE into your life. There will be a moment when you'll have to do some sacrifices in order to receive that person by yourside. In Garrett's case, it meant stop sending letters to his dead wife, which would mean going on with his life. His weakness condemned his ultimate decision - too late.

message 44: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg The end may not been what anyone expected but that is exactly how life is. We all have weaknesses and obstacles in life to overcome to reach our destination. Just as some of you have already mentioned Garrett had to overcome his weakness to be with his one true love in the end. Without the end of the book it would not mean the same thing. I believe this is one of the best books I have read and the movie is just as wonderful. Its not about a tragedy in the in its about him finally being with the one true love.

Jacqueline Oh I really cryed gallons during this book and the end was so sad.
But still this book touched my heart so deeply. It shouldnt be a diffrent ending.

message 46: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Martin Book was okay, but I enjoyed the movie 10 times better.

Jacqueline Tina wrote: "Book was okay, but I enjoyed the movie 10 times better."

Really? I thought the movie was so bad!
I enjoyed the book way more! The movie really disappointed me :(
The book is one of the most heartbreaking romances I ever read.

Lobna Tina wrote: "Book was okay, but I enjoyed the movie 10 times better."

i agree with that the book was borrrrrrrrrrring but the movie ..... I love it !!
this is my first time , i mean to like a movie better than a book

Maritess I didn't like sad endings. I guess because when you're reading your in a fantasy land, you want everything to be perfect. But I still like Nicholas Sparks, because he seemed to produce unique love stories.

Leonor I actually liked it. But I get that NS is not for everyone. My mom and I have similar taste in books and she doesn't like NS.

« previous 1