What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Alas, Babylon
This topic is about Alas, Babylon
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. End of world due to nuclear bomb or something [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandi (new)

Mandi | 4 comments read this a while ago and cannot remember much about it but i loved it and want to read it again! it was set in the US and about a group of people who survived a nuclear bomb and what happens to them afterwords, does anybody know??? thanks

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments The postman by David Brin
Earth Abides by George P. Stewart
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
The Last Ship by William Brinkley
Swan Song by Robert McCammon
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
WarDay by Whitley Strieber and James somehting (starts with a k)
Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein

There are lots more that fit what you gave. Any other tips? I'd guess about 1/4 to 1/3 of apocalypse books have a nuclear war as the cause. Anything else you can remember would help a lot.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I was thinking more like half of them Dawn. Yes, more info please.

Any idea on when you read this? Was it new or older when you read it? What about names/jobs/descriptions? Anything you can remember would be helpful to narrow this search down.

message 4: by Mandi (new)

Mandi | 4 comments honestly, that is ALL i can remember from the book, it was about 16 years ago when i read it, i was 12, but i do think it was Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank!!! i am going to read it and see, thanks so much!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Mandi wrote: "honestly, that is ALL i can remember from the book, it was about 16 years ago when i read it, i was 12, but i do think it was Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank!!! i am going to read it and see, thanks so much! "

Mandi, Could you please return and let us know, or would you like this to go into its solved folder now and have the book shelved?

Thanks for your feedback.

message 6: by Mandi (new)

Mandi | 4 comments i will let you guys know, i just bought it!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Okay, Thanks a lot, Mandi.

message 8: by Erinb (last edited Aug 09, 2010 10:03PM) (new)

Erinb | 7 comments It probably wasn't this, since you said you were only 12 when you read it, but you should try On the Beach by Nevil Shute. Seriously good stuff.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Except most of On the Beach was set in Australia, although a bit took place in San Francisco, CA, USA.

message 10: by Mandi (new)

Mandi | 4 comments ok, it was Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank!! thanks for the help! and i do plan to read on the beach! thanks

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Thanks, Mandi. I'll move folders and shelve it. And, i do recommend On the Beach.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On the Beach (other topics)