Outlander Series discussion

Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love
This topic is about Songs of Love and Death
The Books > A Leaf In the Wind

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I was wondering if anyone has heard when A Leaf in the Wind - the short story about Rogers's parents is going to be released. I thought GRR Martin was putting together the anthology but haven't heard any more news about it and I thought it was supposed to be released soon. Would appreciate any news if you have it since I can't find any mention of it on Diana's website anymore.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica On Diana's website it says - "Another short piece is "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows," for an anthology titled Songs of Love and Death, to be published by Pocket Books, but they haven't yet set a publication date for it—probably later this year, though. This is a short story about Roger MacKenzie's parents, and—for those who've already read Echo—will solve the mystery surrounding his father. Brief excerpt here"

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ooh but then I also just found this at Lallybroch.com - ""A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" (in SONGS OF LOVE AND DEATH: Tales of Star-Crossed Love, an anthology edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois) - a short story telling the story of what happened to Roger's parents, anticipated release November 16, 2010".

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been waiting for this story as I am hoping that it will answer some questions that I have. I was sure hoping for sooner than November but at least I have a date. Thanks.

message 5: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments Can anyone post the actual link to the excerpt? Thanks!

message 6: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments Here is the excerpt from Diana's story about Roger's family:
Excerpt from A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows

Copyright © 2010 Diana Gabaldon

[This short story will appear in an anthology titled Songs of Love and Death, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, published by Pocket Books.:]

Captain Randall was from the secret arm of British Intelligence. He made no bones about it, once Malan had deposited them in a vacant office and left them to it.

“We’re wanting a pilot—a good pilot—“ he added with a faint smile, “—to fly solo reconnaissance. A new project. Very special.”

“Solo? Where?” Jerry asked warily. Spitfires normally flew in four-plane flights, or in larger configurations, all the way up to an entire squadron, sixteen planes. In formation, they could cover each other to some extent against the heavier Henckels and Messerschmitts. But they seldom flew alone by choice.

“I’ll tell you that a bit later. First—are you fit, do you think?”

Jerry reared back a bit at that, stung. What did this bloody boffin think he—then he caught a glance at his reflection in the window-pane. Eyes red as a mad boar’s, his wet hair sticking up in spikes, a fresh red bruise spreading on his forehead and his blouson stuck to him in damp patches where he hadn’t bothered to dry off before dressing.

“Extremely fit,” he snapped. “Sir.”

Randall lifted a hand half an inch, dismissing the need for sirs.

“I meant your knee,” he said mildly.

“Oh,” Jerry said, disconcerted. “That. Aye, it’s fine.”

He’d taken two bullets through his right knee a year before, when he’d dived after a 109 and neglected to see another one that popped out of nowhere behind him and peppered his arse.

On fire, but terrified of bailing out into a sky filled with smoke, bullets, and random explosions, he'd ridden his burning plane down, both of them screaming as they fell out of the sky, Dolly I's metal skin so hot it had seared his left forearm through his jacket, his right foot squelching in the blood that filled his boot as he stamped the pedal. Made it, though, and had been on the sick and hurt list for two months. He still limped very noticeably, but he didn’t regret his smashed patella; he’d had his second month’s sick-leave at home—and wee Roger had come along nine months later.

He smiled broadly at thought of his lad, and Randall smiled back in involuntary response.

“Good,” he said. “You’re all right to fly a long mission, then?”

Jerry shrugged. “How long can it be in a Spitfire? Unless you’ve thought up a way to refuel in the air.” He’d meant that as a joke, and was further disconcerted to see Randall’s lips purse a little, as though thinking whether to tell him they had.

“It is a Spitfire ye mean me to fly?” he asked, suddenly uncertain. Christ, what if it was one of the experimental birds they heard about now and again? His skin prickled with a combination of fear and excitement. But Randall nodded.

“Oh, yes, certainly. Nothing else is maneuverable enough, and there may be a good bit of ducking and dodging. What we’ve done is to take a Spitfire II, remove one pair of wing-guns, and refit it with a pair of cameras."

“One pair?”

Again that slight pursing of lips before Randall replied.

“You might need the second pair of guns.”

“Oh. Aye. Well, then…”

The immediate notion, as Randall explained it, was for Jerry to go to Northumberland, where he'd spend two weeks being trained in the use of the wing-cameras, taking pictures of selected bits of landscape at different altitudes. And where he'd work with a support team who were meant to be trained in keeping the cameras functioning in bad weather. They'd teach him how to get the film out without ruining it, just in case he had to. After which…

"I can't tell you yet exactly where you'll be going," Randall had said. His manner through the conversation had been intent, but friendly, joking now and then. Now all trace of joviality had vanished; he was dead serious. "Eastern Europe is all I can say just now."

Jerry felt his inside hollow out a little and took a deep breath to fill the empty space. He could say no. But he'd signed up to be an RAF flier, and that's what he was.

“Aye, right. Will I—maybe see my wife once, before I go, then?”

Randall’s face softened a little at that, and Jerry saw the Captain’s thumb touch his own gold wedding ring in reflex.

“I think that can be arranged.”

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments That sounds great... Thanks for posting!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Gosh, I can't wait. I really want to read this now.

Beth

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Me too Beth, it sounds great so far.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments thankyou for that , l'm reading Echo know and that is verrra helpful.

message 11: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments So what do you all think? .........Roger will go through the stones to find his dad? Maybe save him?

message 12: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments I'm not sure Jerry Mackenzie is alive anymore - but I certainly hope Roger at least gets to find out what happened to him.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments well DG has said there is two more books l'm loving Roger/Bree/Jem/Mandy in Echo, actually really enjoying Echo. Claire seems to know more about Rogers father ?? So what about Gellis ? Is she truly evil? Still a little confused there ?

message 14: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments Pam wrote: "well DG has said there is two more books l'm loving Roger/Bree/Jem/Mandy in Echo, actually really enjoying Echo. Claire seems to know more about Rogers father ?? So what about Gellis ? Is she truly..."

Has DG said there are two more books? I heard another one for sure, possibly two but not certain.

Geillie is definitely evil, and also dead. So I'm not expecting her to have a hand in anything Jerry Mackenzie-related. Claire I think just knows about the logistics of Jerry's service - what kind of plane pilots like him would have flown, where and what kind of missions - but not specifics about Jerry himself?

I do think it's another interesting twist that Captain Randall (who I'm 99% sure is Frank) knew Jerry...

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments i thought l read that on her website about two.. as for Frank l'm not a fan at all, and l think there is much more about him that will be revealed ... Still think there is more to Gellis dead or alive..

message 16: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments Good point about Frank - I actually wouldn't mind if a bit more would be revealed about HIS time in the military... None of that was ever covered in the earlier books.

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments uhaaaa its in his genetic makeup, do not think he is nice at all, poor Claire. Have you finished Echo, ? I have just ordered The Exile,but l am intrigued by Roger Wakefield, find his character fantastic.

message 18: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 47 comments Eh, Roger is also related to Geillie but genetics don't necessarily make you evil. I do love his character though and can't wait to see what DG does with it in her next book.

I finished Echo several weeks ago and am making my way through the entire series for a second time. I'm currently re-reading Fiery Cross.

message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments this may sound like a strange/stupid/ignorant question but exactly who is Rogers mother...

message 20: by Shoplol (new)

Shoplol | 6 comments Pam, ye do need to read between the lines lassie!

message 21: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Roger can't go back in time to save his father because he can't go to a time when he existed. He'd have to go back to before he was born... I'm not thinking he can navigate that well, remember what happened to Donner and his group!

message 22: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Also if he saved his dad, he wouldn't have ended up living with the reverend and then he would have met Frank and Claire and then eventually Bree. So maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

What I find interesting is that when Roger first wanted to go back and find Bree, he thought about his dad and then was somehow in the plane with him for a second or could see him in the plane for a second and then Roger caught on fire and had to try again. Maybe this is why his dad died or maybe he didn't die, maybe Roger somehow pulled him into the stone passage and now Roger's dad is somewhere maybe even back the 200 years. It would be interesting if it's true.

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments Shoplol wrote: "Pam, ye do need to read between the lines lassie!"
Thanks shoplol l went back and read between the lines its as clear as mud know.lol.by the way you wouldnt be the same SHOP that is on the Paullins Simons website talking about Larissa Starck ?

message 24: by Shoplol (new)

Shoplol | 6 comments Pam wrote: "Shoplol wrote: "Pam, ye do need to read between the lines lassie!"
Thanks shoplol l went back and read between the lines its as clear as mud know.lol.by the way you wouldnt be the same SHOP that is..."

Sorry Pam, I am not the same SHOP as on Paulina Simmons website. Who is Paulina Simmons when she is at home?
I am sadly just another Outlander addict that has had her books confiscated by her neglected family. OMG, I canna put them down and I canna stop texting in scottish ye ken? LOL

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments phew , yes l hear you or ye ? Verrra addicitve , dinna fash yerself about Paullina...Lets get back on track know , Roger Wakefield and his parents mmmmm maneee theories are around do yer have a favourite ??? Sorree to hear about yer familee and even soreer to hear about the confiscation thankfully yer onto goodreads all the info is here,if yer need an intervention to get yer reads back l'm sure we could organise a posse of DG fans ??

message 26: by Wan (last edited Aug 19, 2010 06:12AM) (new) - added it

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Only, if I can "hear" the conversations, in stead of reading it... LMAO

message 27: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments OMG!! All this speculation makes my head spin! "Organize a posse of DG Fans"! For sure Pam!

message 28: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments Shoplol wrote: "Pam wrote: "Shoplol wrote: "Pam, ye do need to read between the lines lassie!"
Thanks shoplol l went back and read between the lines its as clear as mud know.lol.by the way you wouldnt be the same..."
aye shoplol a gatherin is beginnin to form ??? Me thinkin theres more to Frank in Rogers storeee. ???

message 29: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments Wan wrote: "Only, if I can "hear" the conversations, in stead of reading it... LMAO"
Aye Wan right back at yer LMAO, again and again....

message 30: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "OMG!! All this speculation makes my head spin! "Organize a posse of DG Fans"! For sure Pam!"glad to heare yer up for a gatherin,

message 31: by Shoplol (new)

Shoplol | 6 comments Pam wrote: "Ladyhawk wrote: "OMG!! All this speculation makes my head spin! "Organize a posse of DG Fans"! For sure Pam!"glad to heare yer up for a gatherin,"

O' aye, a gatherin at the stones ye ken!!
With the posse of DG fan's to get me my books back...
Ssshhh - I do ave' me a good friend who, this verra mornin, has given me a copy one of her books.... I will read in secret ye ken, hidden behind the newspaper style.
Verra silly aren't we.....lolol

message 32: by Shoplol (new)

Shoplol | 6 comments Shoplol wrote: "Pam wrote: "Ladyhawk wrote: "OMG!! All this speculation makes my head spin! "Organize a posse of DG Fans"! For sure Pam!"glad to heare yer up for a gatherin,"

O' aye, a gatherin at the stones ye..."

Q - Are Frank and Black Jack Randall the same person?? Time Traveler??

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments Shoplol wrote: "Shoplol wrote: "Pam wrote: "Ladyhawk wrote: "OMG!! All this speculation makes my head spin! "Organize a posse of DG Fans"! For sure Pam!"glad to heare yer up for a gatherin,"

O' aye, a gatherin ..."
good ?? but me not think so what if Roger was Black Jacks son ??

message 34: by Wan (last edited Aug 20, 2010 06:16AM) (new) - added it

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Shoplol -- No, they're not the same person. BJR's Frank's 5th or 6th great grandfather, so it seems. However, If you read further into the series. It will reveal Frank and BJR true relations. -- Hint, with BJR being Sadistic Bisexual that he's. LoL

message 35: by Shoplol (new)

Shoplol | 6 comments Wan wrote: "Shoplol -- No, they're not the same person. BJR's Frank's 5th or 6th great grandfather, so it seems. However, If you read further into the series. It will reveal Frank and BJR true relations. -- ..."

Pam & Wan - I'm really loving these books, prob a bit too much! It's a bit hard to concentrate on work, family, kids homework, after school activities, husband etc etc without thinking about what J & C, R & B are up to. I always take my book with me where ever I go as I may get a chance to read a quick chapter whilst waiting, ye just never ken! I'm only up to The Fiery Cross and loving it. But, my mind never stops thinking about what's install for our characters.
OMG as for Frank & BJR! Out of all the books I've read I've never had such a disliking of character's, well maybe Larrisa Stark (A song in the daylight. Arrghh)
I just hope that when this series does finish...tears.... that we all get some closure from BJR & Frank.. lol

message 36: by Pam (new)

Pam | 48 comments Shoplol wrote: "Wan wrote: "Shoplol -- No, they're not the same person. BJR's Frank's 5th or 6th great grandfather, so it seems. However, If you read further into the series. It will reveal Frank and BJR true rel..."
l have just finished Echo and actually LOVED IT,,,,about to start them all again LOL , Well l verrrra much disliked lARISSA , so you do now Paullina you funny bugger l knew l'd seen you work before... I agree with Wan and l'm hearin her LMAO especially about the whole sorry Randalls OMG. Still wanting answers to Rogers story may have to start a new thread on that one...Actually loved the whole WTF of Echo it made a lotta sense in a crazy way esp if there are 1 hopefully 2 more books to come...Shoplol ye sound verra insightful have yer read the Twilight Series l noticed there is another thread out there connecting Edward and Jamie, l may see you in that one....

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Another bloody Randall?

message 38: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1 comments This has completely made my day!! Just finished re-reading the series a whole five minutes ago and was already going through the withdrawls!! Looking forward to reading this. And my husband thought he would be getting me back soon. hah. poor guy. lol.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Renee - Actually I think this Randall is Frank.

message 40: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Totally agree wi Renee thit the Randall is Frankit a' fits in bonny, dates times n' athin else! How guid wis at wee short story tho? Muckle blanks filled in noo like an alot o' things makin sence aftir haein a wee swatch o' the book. Rest o' i book peddid storries wis afa guid n sum better thin ithers.:)

message 41: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments OMG Fiona, when I read your post it made me realize that I have a long way to understand the Gaelic!!
Besides, English is not my first language, so it is really difficult for me to understand you.
Is that the regular way of everyday talking, or you're emphasizing because we love Jamie so much?

message 42: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Uh, that wasn't Gaelic I don't think...it was Scots accent and a heavy heavy heavy one at that. I didn't understand a word she said. LOL. and English is my first language.

message 43: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments Go figure. I remember when I was there and wasn't able to understand anything!
But I thought reading wouldn't be that difficult.
For instance what the heck is:"How guid wis at wee short story too?"
I have learned "wee" from Jamie. I got the "short story", but the rest is chinese.
And I love it, love it. It is beautiful!
Thanks Fiona for opening the doors of our imagination!

message 44: by Wan (new) - added it

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments guid = good I think.

message 45: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments I guess we will have to wait for the translation!!

message 46: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I think I pretty much got it, lol. Here's what I read.

She totally agrees that Randall is Frank, it totally fits in with the dates and stuff. How good was the short story though? Many blanks filled in now, and alot of things make sense after reading the little book. Rest of the books little stories were good. Some better then others.

message 47: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments You are really good Wendy! You are ready to pass through the stones. Jamie would be proud of you. LOL

message 48: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments hahaha, Alot of those words I just guessed. Like I have no idea that peddid would actually mean... Figured I got the jist though.

message 49: by Latinlandish (new)

Latinlandish | 376 comments I just went back to her post and have to give a prize to you. You are really good, no kidding!

message 50: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Aww, shucks.

« previous 1 3