Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Introduction/Group Admin > Group Rules (The Short and Sweet)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Aug 07, 2014 02:07PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Basic Rules:
1.a.This is a group for all fans of interracial romance. Across racial and ethnic boundaries, and we will not tolerate alienation of any members along racial lines on this group. If you have a problem with a particular group of people, keep it to yourself, that includes race, political, religious beliefs, ethnicity and sexual orientation.

You are entitled to your opinions, each and every member, but you are expected to treat others with respect and consideration when you post your opinions. If you have discriminatory beliefs, they are not welcome on this group.

b. No accusations, criticism, or negative comments about someone's personality and what you don't like about them. I don't know how else to put it. If you don't like something about someone's personality, I'm sorry. That probably won't change with you posting a page of what's wrong with that person. If you have an issue with another member, take it off the list. Keep the subject on topic. In other words, handle it in a one-on-one manner. Goodreads has a private email function. If it is clear that members cannot manage to get past personal conflicts and continue to bring those into posts, those members will be warned through private message, and removed on the subsequent offenses, and their posts deleted.

2. Agree to disagree. I know it's hard when someone doesn't see things your way. You might feel alienated. We are all different. We are not always going to agree. It's a good thing that there are so many people with different views in the world. If we cannot disagree without getting personal, then we probably should just delete this group now. I don't want to do that, and I don't think anyone else does either. If the person said something that you don't understand, ask for clarification. There is more often an issue with communication instead of some attempt to insult or ridicule another.

3.Please place a spoiler space if you are discussing major plot elements.

4.Feel free to start a thread for a topic. Keep in mind some topics are more 'inflammatory' than others. The rules about personal arguments still applies. Please try to put it in the folder that you think it belongs in. If it's not about IRR, it's off-topic. From now on, an effort will be made to avoid duplicate posts. Do not be offended if you start a thread and it's closed and your post is moved to the correct thread.

5.This forum is about unity. That doesn't mean we'll always see things the same way. Treat each other with respect. Let me repeat that. Treat each other with respect. Respect doesn't mean having the same beliefs as another person. Respect means esteem for others.

6. Authors are welcome on this forum. We ask that you be considerate of members and discuss your books in the appropriate areas on the group. If your book pertains to the discussion, of course mention it. Random book promos can be rather annoying to members, so we ask that you don't do it. Please feel free to create a thread to introduce your book or your work in the 'Promotions' folder. New releases may be promoted in the 'Coming Attractions' folder (if released in the past three months or newly released). Excerpts should only be posted in the promotions or coming attractions area, or under the original fiction folders and not on any other threads, even if your book does pertain to the topic. You may post a link to direct the reader to your book or to your website when it is done in the promotions or coming attractions area or when a recommendation to which it pertains is solicited. If your promotional posts are not in the correct area, they will be deleted. Craft or author/writing topics can be posted under the Author/Writer's Corner folder, including solicitations for feedback by members.

7. If a member has a concern or objection to how the group is ran or moderated, please address it directly with one of the moderators via private message, and do not post about it on the group. We attempt to have a process for dealing with issues that does not disrupt the function or cause unnecessary drama on the boards. Your opinions are valued, and we will do our best to address all concerns that members may have about the functioning of the group.

If you have a question, please feel free to send one of the moderators a PM or ask in the Do You Have a Question Thread.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments No questions, just glad that you are trying to bring life back into the boards.

Oh! I do have a suggestion. Since most of the members here are authors (including myself), a lot of us are busy writing, editing, rewriting and all that good stuff. Most of us can’t get to the boards even if we want to, to reply to a post or post something.

Sooo, why not have a designated day that we can all come and post. We can post and reply to topics, what we read, watched, author and publishing news, things like that. That way there is no pressure to post/reply every day, and yet we won’t let the boards go quiet.

Just a suggestion. :)

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Hi, Stephanie. I do realize that everyone is busy. I know I am too. No pressure. That's a good idea, Stephanie. Did you have a little more detailed an idea? Like Goodreads Interracial Romance Day or something like that?

message 4: by Trenice (new)

Trenice What about a thread for the writers who have events or announcements to make about their book releases, etc? And, a section to add WIP's = works in progress for serious feedback?

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Hmmm, you know we can have author only day, then fan day, just those that are actual readers but don't write.If we have publishers that are memebers, we can have a day for them.. I notice that a lot of Yahoo goups do that when posting book announcements

message 6: by Trenice (new)

Trenice Like a weekly calendar of events. That sounds great! :)

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Well, I'd like the constant posters to feel free to post daily, but I like the idea of an author spotlight/publisher spotlight day. There is a section for posting your stories, so I believe. I'm working on getting the folders better organized.

Trenice, there is a promotions folder section. I'll add a coming soon thread.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Of course if you want to post anytime, that's great. However if you miss a full week of posting and replying there will be a day set aside to catch up.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Are you talking about a weekly catch-up thread, such as: "What I've been up to?"

I think the weekly posters can join up with any existing threads as they are able to log onto the group.

Am I understanding you correctly, Stephanie?

message 10: by Trenice (new)

Trenice @ Danielle - Could you add a "Beta Reader Wanted" folder with the other writer info?

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

No problem, Trenice.

message 12: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I think it's great you spelled this out, Danielle.

I'd like to say we just all need to remember to respect each other's opinion. Of course we won't all agree but we gotta remember folks' have a right to their opinions. Also, we need to be careful of how we word posts. It's our responsibility what we write and we need to make sure we are not accidentally offending people by what we post.

It's one thing to just be rude to folks but if we know we don't want others to perceive us that way, we need to make sure we are spelling that out clearly when we write. I always take in account that sometimes what we say online is taken differently and so I try to go over my posts many times to make sure nothing can be taken the wrong way.

That's the thing with posting online. You can't always be sure what others mean that's why we gotta be as respectful as we can.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 13: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) And I also agree very much with the private PM thing. It's not appropriate or fair to other members to disrupt the entire group just because you got a beef with someone. Take it up with them in private and leave the positive vibes here.

message 14: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6611 comments Mod
I think that if a person doesn't understand what another person has said, then they should ask them to explain themselves.

I know that sometimes, I say things and people don't understand what I have said. I would rather someone ask me to explain myself, even if they have to ask me through pm/email, than for them to assume I have said something that I didn't say.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Very good points, ladies.

With internet posting, you can't see someone's face, so you don't know how to interpret someone's words. I have learned not to jump to the conclusion that someone is trying to insult or offend you. Ask to see what they meant. They may not realize how what they said was interpreted.

I love this group. It's dear to my heart. I feel a lot of personal distress when there are conflicts on here. The reason I started this group was so that those of us who were involved in the IR community could have a safe, fun place to hang out. I don't want to lose that vibe and have this group a warzone. That goes against its purpose.

That's why the rules seem strict here.

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

I love this group as well.

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Sep 01, 2010 11:05AM) (new)

Everyone please read! I just want to make a clarification on the quoting rule.

This refers to taking someone's words, and copying them into a reply as use in an argument, or to dispute what someone has said. If you aren't sure what someone said, ask for clarification. If you want to disagree with them, just say that you disagree with what they said about x, y and z, and leave it at that. It's not necessary to quote their words back at them. This is not the same thing as hitting the reply button and having some of what someone has said in the reply you make.

In general, it's discouraged to hit the reply button. It just clogs up the thread. It's preferred to enter your comments into a blank comment box. It sounds nitpicky, but because of the issues we've had, I'm asking everyone to adhere to this.

If you have replied to someone in the past, don't worry about it. But, from now on, please don't hit the reply button. Just use a new comment box. Thanks to the moderators and members who have been following this policy.

(I hope this don't seem micromanagingish!) :)

message 18: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Moone (kaseymoone) | 30 comments Stephanie, I love your idea of having a designated day. Sounds good to me. :0)

message 19: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Am I allowed to post an excerpt from my new release if that release isn't IR? If so, where do I post it?

Thanks!

Chicki Brown

message 20: by Arch , Mod (last edited Nov 26, 2010 11:22AM) (new)

Chicki,

I don't think that non interracial romance stories is not allowed. The information would go under the Promotion folder.

message 21: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Thanks, Arch. I was just wondering. My first book was an IR story, but the second one isn't.

Chicki Brown
Author of
Hot Fun in the Summertime
Available Nov. 26, 2010 for Kindle, PC, phone and iPad
Facebook fan page:http://su.pr/1ny5ce
Barnes & Noble: http://su.pr/2CVnhi
Video Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFjQ-K...

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

As Arch said, you are welcome to post a promo for your story in the promo section. Just make sure to mark it as non-IR, Chicki.

message 23: by Chicki (new)

Chicki Brown (chicki663) | 130 comments Thanks, Danielle! I appreciate it.

Chicki

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Just a reminder to all new members to read the rules before posting. There is important information in there for you.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

The ban on not using the reply button to post and quoting other members has been lifted. You can feel free to do both. Remember that cordial discussions are encouraged on this group. Flaming disagreements and arguments are not. Thanks.

message 26: by Benita Vehnom (new)

Benita Vehnom  Ruiz (bluebell7) | 4 comments Thanks Danielle for the update

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You're welcome, Benita!

message 28: by postcrdprincess (new)

postcrdprincess | 383 comments Thanks for the update.

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You're welcome, postcrdprincess!

message 30: by Nubian Violet (new)

Nubian Violet (nubianviolet) | 3 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Basic Rules:
1. No accusations, criticism, or negative comments about someone's personality and what you don't like about them. I don't know how else to put it. If you don't like something about s..."

Awesome... I totally agree with the rules and glad they are posted here out and in the open for everyone to read and understand :)

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Glad that you find it helpful, Nubian Violet.

message 32: by Msjj (new)

Msjj | 2 comments Hi everyone! :)

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Hi MsJJ.

message 34: by Arch , Mod (new)

Hi MsJJ

message 35: by Lilith (new)

Lilith Darville (lilithdarville) | 21 comments Hi there - It's Lilith Darville here. I'm the child of an interracial author in an interracial marriage writing a book about an interracial couple, and I'm thrilled to be part of this group.

Please forgive this newby question, but what is a "board"?

Enjoy a super day!

~Lilith~

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Welcome, Lilith. Board is what they call an online forum or group.

message 37: by Arch , Mod (new)

Welcome Lilith.

message 38: by Lilith (new)

Lilith Darville (lilithdarville) | 21 comments Arch wrote: "Welcome Lilith."
Thank you, Arch!

message 39: by Lilith (new)

Lilith Darville (lilithdarville) | 21 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Welcome, Lilith. Board is what they call an online forum or group." Thanks, Danielle - I have a lot to learn. Take care!

message 40: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Hi Lilith!

message 41: by Lilith (new)

Lilith Darville (lilithdarville) | 21 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hi Lilith!"
Hi Michelle! :-)

message 42: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Attention to all Members!

This is a reminder to members of how to create threads and discussions for books.

You are welcome to create a thread to discuss a book that you have not written under the Interracial Books Chat folder or you can make a post in the What Interracial Books Are You Reading Thread. Please include the name of the book with a link to the title on goodreads or the bookcover. Please do not use a link to a separate site without including the link on Goodreads. If you don't follow these rules, your post or thread may be deleted because of the risk for spamming and the need to keep the folders and topics neatly organized and clearly readable for members to follow.

If you are an author, you may create a thread for a new release in the Coming Attractions in Interracial Romance folder. If it is not a new release, you should create a thread under the Promotions section. If your thread is in the wrong folder it will either be deleted or moved.

If you have any questions about these guidelines, feel free to send me a private message. If your threads or posts are deleted, I realize it may be hard not to take it personal, but please don't. It is necessary to do so on a group this large in order to keep it running in an orderly fashion.

Thanks for your consideration!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Just realized Im apart of this community and haven't put a lot in investing in it.

My name is Guinevere. Im Afro-Cuban. I would love to know if anyone is familiar with any IR books features Blacks with Caribbean culture such as Cuba, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Jamaica, etc.

I read a bunch of American IR characters but I'd love to see Afro-Caribbeans too :)

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Welcome, Guinevere.

Stranded has a heroine who is Afro-Caribbean originally.

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I just removed an author member who was not following the guidelines about author promotions. Please keep in mind that we provide plenty of ways for authors to promote their work within the rules, so we are definitely going to enforce those rules, including the penalty of removal and banning from the group.

Thank you so much for your consideration and following of our group guidelines.

message 46: by Shantee' (new)

Shantee' Parks) (poseyparks) | 12 comments Hello new here!

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Welcome, Shantee!

message 48: by Aղցela W. (new)

Aղցela W. I have read all group rules

message 49: by Arch , Mod (new)

Welcome Shantee

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Welcome, Shantee!

« previous 1