SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > What's Up With....

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 29, 2010 10:12PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments .... the violet eyes?

Has anyone else noticed a SERIOUS trend of characters and their "haunting", "beautiful", "intriguing", "insert adjective here" VIOLET EYES?

Really? I mean, yeah, ok, interesting, haven't seen that (or maybe, but you'd think I'd remember if I had since they're SO amazing ...), but now every character has them, so MEMO: They are no longer "unique".

Moving on .... back to my challenge book hunt ....

message 2: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Lol! Tell me about it. Also, do you notice how expressive eyes are in books? I mean, I know they're the windows to the soul & all that jazz, but damn, sometimes I find myself sitting here wondering what the expression the author is describing actually looks like. Then, since I'm a weirdo, sometimes I'll try to make the face.

I don't think people in real life actually say all that with their eyes. There's only so much you can convey with a facial expression, ya know?

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 29, 2010 11:38PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments Thank you! LOL! You making author described faces ... too funny! My favorite is the "he smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes". What? No crows feet popped up w/that one? LOL! Nah, I guess I do kinda get that one, but still ... it's getting close to least one character in each book now will have violet eyes.

message 4: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments No, the worst is when they smile with their eyes, but it doesn't reach their mouth. WTF? How do you do that? And trust me, that's one I've tried out.

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments LOL!!! That one shouldn't be possible, yah?

message 6: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23891 comments I've been picturing Laura making faces since I read this yesterday. What a hoot!!

When I was reading The Darkest Night yesterday, they gave a description of the heroines brown/amber eyes and I thought good, normal. Then a few pages on we get Maddox's eyes ... violet/purple etc, mentioned a few times.

I immediately thought of this post Steph. You picked it...purple is the new blue!

message 7: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments LOL Me2. I think she should film it and share with the group! LOL!! Too funny!

Yep! Purple is the new blue!

message 8: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Too funny--because I started Bonds of Justice today and I'm assuming Sophia's "pansy" eyes are purple. Great timing Steph. I totally LoL'd when I read it. :)

message 9: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jul 31, 2010 06:45PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Steph wrote: "LOL Me2. I think she should film it and share with the group! LOL!! Too funny!!"

Keeeeep dreamin'. Seriously though, maybe I'm just too literal, but sometimes I'll read a description of a facial expression and I'm like "Whaaaat? I don't think I've ever seen that expression before."

So in the interests of science, I feel the need to conduct an experiment to see if it is as I suspect--the written facial expression is completely bogus. What's so wrong with that? ;)

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments LOL What's so wrong with that? Absolutely nothin'. :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You guys are too cute! Facial expressions! It reminds me of when I do my emotions workshop with my three year olds at school. I pass a mirror around at circle time and they get to practice their faces: Angry, sad, happy, silly ect so they can see what that face looks like. Some of them get pretty comical.

"Eenin! I cn't do 'ad 'less I do dis!" child grasps bottom lip between thrumb and forefinger to stretch it downwards over chin. GRUSOME! and yet cute, ironic!

Anyways I have yet to notice purple and pansy (though pansy eyes would make me consider terror or fear before colour) I am tired of the chic "Amber" look, seriously?! Ms. Meyer did you have to RUIN it for vampires everywhere?! or did Ms. Adrian mess it up first?

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! Sometimes I can't imagine the expressions, but not too often. It's very hard to describe expressions though. That's probably one of the hardest aspects of fiction-writing. Give it a try one day, LOL.

message 13: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments I actually like that most authors have stuck with the golden eyes for weres. It's kinda comfortable, like vamps who can't go into the sun.

Love your example with the kids, E. How cute.

NU, I envy an author's creativity in bringing a world and the characters who live there to life. I don't think I could do it, at least not well enough to actually sell anything or draw anyone's interest ('cept maybe my family ... LOL!)

message 14: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments LOL! I just finished Black Dust Mambo and the heroine has voilet eyes so this thread (or my reading it)couldn't have better timing!

To be honest, I've seen violet eyes in a person and if the mind doesn't do it's job behind them, they're not all that great! I don't think the color alone makes eyes pretty or not... Plus, I've met a guy with blue eyes, like reeeally dark blue, that I've always wanted to see in someone and he totally ruined them for me! No intensity, no depth... Proof once again that appearance isn't everything!

Have you met anyone with eyes so dark they're indistinguishable from the pupils? Now with a little "push" from intelligence, THAT's a great pair of eyes! Who needs blue when you can have black, anyway? :P

As for the expressions, what bugs me most sometimes is that people actually "see" things in someone's face that cannot be seen! Like how can you see that someone thinks "a-very-long-sequence-of-events-he/she-is-planning-to-do-right-now" and be absolutely sure that you're right, and what's more, you ARE right? I don't know if you got what I mean and I don't have an example handy but the next time I find it I'll definitely post it. It's annoying! I mean, really? You got that just from looking at him? What are you, a mind reader? Bah!

Sorry for the rant!Bottom line: Violet eyes suck! (when they use them so much in books :P)

Btw, if I ever write a book of my own, someone with violet eyes will be STUPID as mud, just for the hell of it!

message 15: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments My son has very dark brown eyes. They're so dark that it's hard to see his pupils unless he's standing in strong sunlight.

message 16: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Thenia wrote: "As for the expressions, what bugs me most sometimes is that people actually "see" things in someone's face that cannot be seen! Like how can you see that someone thinks "a-very-long-sequence-of-events-he/she-is-planning-to-do-right-now" and be absolutely sure that you're right, and what's more, you ARE right? I don't know if you got what I mean and I don't have an example handy but the next time I find it I'll definitely post it. It's annoying! I mean, really? You got that just from looking at him? What are you, a mind reader? Bah!"

I know exactly what you're saying and I totally agree. That's what I mean when I say the author writes a facial expression that's supposed to convey something and I'm like "WTF? How does someone make an expression to convey that?"

Hence the experimenting in the mirror. ;)

message 17: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments And the dark almost black eyes--the guy who's playing Alcide in TrueBlood has those eyes, you can only tell they're brown in sunlight, otherwise they're super sexy intense black. Nice. :)

message 18: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments <they're super sexy intense black. Nice. :) > :D

message 19: by Thenia (last edited Sep 27, 2010 02:32AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Sandra J, your son's eyes must be really beautiful to look at! ^^

Laura Lulu, I stopped watching True Blood before Alcide came into the picture so I haven't seen his eyes... Think he's worth continuing the series for? :P To he honest, I kept watching it for Eric and Pam, but after a while, even they couldn't keep me interested... Jason, Tara and sometimes even Sam annoy the hell out of me!

message 20: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Thenia wrote: "I stopped watching True Blood before Alcide came into the picture so I haven't seen his eyes... Think he's worth conti..."

I stopped watching for the same reason! I thought it was just me that found those 3 annoying at times. Recently did start up again because I'm curious about Alcide.

message 21: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments Vivian, were you glad you returned to it or still disappointed? I love the show, dispite not liking all the characters, but the finales never seem to live up to my expectations.

message 22: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Vivian, it's definitely not just you! I couldn't help but groan every time one of them came on screen!

I have to admit I am curious about Alcide, too, but I can't decide if it's worth starting up again. Let me know what you think!

message 23: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments I stopped after season 1, and am almost done with season 2 now so have only seen one season finale. I guess it wasn't great enough for me to want to continue?

For season 2, I don't like Marriane, so I don't like her storyline with Tara/Sam/the town, which is half the show. I'm torn between thinking Jason's stupidness is adorable and overdone/annoying. I think Bill is a little boring. I do LOVE Eric on the show, as well as Pam.

Does it sound like I don't really like the show? But I CAN'T stop watching! I don't understand why, but I'm quite hooked now.

Thenia - I would say it's worth a shot, but maybe on in the background. For me, I don't need to devote my full attn to it all the time. Although I'll stop what I'm doing if Eric is in the scene ;)

Sorry, the post got superlong!

message 24: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29058 comments No worries, Vivian. :) I agree. MaryAnn was a PAIN! Hated that storyline and was thrilled when it ended, just bummed it took up all of that season's finale. No matter, I'll always watch. I can't not. LOL