Start by marking “The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)

The Darkest Night

(Lords of the Underworld #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  74,312 ratings  ·  3,359 reviews
His powers—Inhuman...

His passion—Beyond immortal...

All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member—a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the
Mass Market Paperback, 379 pages
Published May 3rd 2008 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Night, please sign up.
Courtney It is but not in the most typical sense. It's so much more than "just" a romance novel.

·  74,312 ratings  ·  3,359 reviews

Start your review of The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
Miranda Reads
Sep 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
description
I wanted to love this one so much, but jeez Gena, why are you making this so hard?

To channel my upcoming rant, I will focus only on: the Plot, the Complete Idiocy, the Insta-Insta Love, the Nipples and how Promiscuity is just Rape.

The Plot - aka started from the bottom, now we here...still at the bottom.

The premise to this novel was amazing - Pandora's box was opened by jealous warriors and as punishment, their spirits were fused with one of the sinful demons released.
Their pl
Best_beloved
Oct 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
My Problem that I Know Will Not Actual Bother Everyone:

Okay, the main ‘hero’ is an immortal warrior who is partially controlled by demon of Violence. Yes, Violence, which the heroine, Ashlyn, is dating. He spends the first 50 pages (give or take) chanting kill, murder, slice, hurt, killkillkill to himself. He acknowledges that while he tries to fight the demon, he does fail - on a nearly nightly bases. Now, I’m aware that in this genre love conquers all and that relationships and people in roma
Candace
As the first full-length book in this series, this book did a good job of making me want more. Aside from the love story between Maddox and Ashlyn, which was fantastic by the way, there was a lot of plot and character development. No doubt, this will serve to make future books more entertaining. It was a wholly enjoyable read.

Ashlyn and Maddox seemingly meet by chance. He thinks that she's bait for hunters. She is curious about the house of immortal beings. The townspeople speculate are angels a
new_user
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Kenyon, Feehan fans
*sigh* What can I say? The Darkest Night wasn't very dark. I wanted to like this book because it came so highly recommended from friends, but I've read Showalter's writing before and I was skeptical.

Well, my first impression was unfortunately right. Showalter's writing style is still very light and sugary, only it's even more out of place in such a dark setting (i.e. constant violence).

Her heroes are supposed to be Greek immortals, exalted and admired guardians of the gods until their hubris lea
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he'd have to die again later. That was his greatest curse and his eternal punishment."

This book is a great intro into the Lords of the Underworld series and I admit, I am completely hooked!! I will not stop until I read them all!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Before I tell you about the story, you have to know a few facts about the Lords (all of these facts will be explained in the first 10 pages of the book so I won't be
|3.8 keeper of awesomeness stars|

It is so good when things turn out positively.

I was a bit afraid of finding out I didn’t like this series after reading The Darkest Touch but with re-reading this first book? I feel like I’m back on it.
The Lords of The Underworld series is so addicting and so much fun and with an interesting premise, it’s no wonder why how these books have made it this far.

I find the mix between Greek mythology, urban legends and paranormal creatures pretty great and with this co
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Well, I finally started the much lauded Lords of the Underworld series. I was happy with this book. However, it does have some issues with it that I felt detracted from it as a stellar read. I felt like there was a roughness in some of the writing. I have a theory about this. I think that the publishers really put a lot of pressure on the paranormal writers to put out a series quickly. This takes time away from the authors that they need to polish each book so that it can be at its best. I felt ...more
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Lords of the Underworld Stars

First read Feb 2014
Reread Sept 2019

Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he’d have to die again later. That was his greatest curse and his eternal punishment.

*************************SPOILERS*****************************

What a great idea for a series. 12 Warriors jealous that a woman, Pandora, got the job of protecting the box known as Pandora's box which housed the 12 Demon lords, steals the box, and unleash
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Photobucket

THE BACK STORY

Long ago twelve immortals warriors made by Zeus, became jealous of Pandora she was chosen to guard a box. Inside that box housed some of the most dangerous demons ever known. The Immortals made a horrible mistake of killing Pandora and opening the box. As punishment for the evil they have unleashed each warrior was sentenced to carry one of those demons for all eternity. They are - Violence, Pain, Death, Disease, Disaster, Misery, Doubt, Promiscuity, Defeat, Lies, Secrets,
Sophia Triad
Maddox: Demon of violence
Butterfly: upper left shoulder, wrapping around to his back
His curse: He is stabbed every night only to be brought back to life the next day and then the next night he has to die again.

Ashlyn Darrow: She works for the World Institute of Parapsychology.
Supernatural ability: She hears voices about things that they happened in the past.

In ancient time, Maddox is the warrior that killed Pandora and then the box that included all the vicious demons disappeared and all the dem
xrysa
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
“Sometimes what we want isn't what we need.”

Let me tell you a story.
Thousands years ago the box that held the most disastrous demons was given by the gods to Pandora . She was a warrior and everyone felt envy that a female had the responsibility to reck the box . Anyone would kill for this position. Moving Pandora into a trap wasnt a smart move and warriors were bound to be possessed by these demons .

In this book we are introduced Maddox . He played a significant role in Pandora's (view spoiler)
Exina
July 12, 2013
"We’ll wait there and let the Hunters come to us.”
“That’s it? That is your plan?”
“Well, that and kill them.” The fragrance of roses became stronger as Lucien’s eyes glittered menacingly.
“It’s a good plan.”

The Darkest Night is a great opening book of the Lords of the Underworld series.

Smartly built alternative mythology, gradually measured tension and multiplying conflict.

Maddox is the least significant Lord for me, so the first book being his is really smart, be
Kitty (I solemnly swear that I am up to no good)
""I need to prepare you." He was about to see her underwear-another embarrassing topic. They were plain white cotton. Granny gear, she's once heard a man say. She never wore sexy clothing, even underclothing, while on the job. It wasn't practical. "I do own sexy underwear, I promise, but i'm not wearing it right now.""

WTFUCK??!
Get a grip sister...I mean seriously when in the throws of passion who cares what pants you are wearing just take them off. Have a little confidence for goodness sake. Bu
Tina
Jul 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
I must preface this by saying that I only made it to page 200, so i probably shouldn't be reviewing this book. However, the fact that I couldn't really be bothered to make it past page 200 makes this worthy of explaining why.

I picked up this book, first because I got a rec for it and second because the cover art is so darned striking. And I was really stoked by someone doing something a little different within the paranormal genre. I admit, I am always on the look out for paranormal that don't i
Michelle
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3.5-4 Cursed Stars!
I think I've found a new PNR series that I might love. I'm excited!

This was Ashlyn and Maddox's story. But it was stocked full with all the other warriors. A perfect set up for more to come.

Ashlyn hears voices. Lots of voices. Every where she goes if people have been there she hears their conversation. She wants the voices to stop. She's on the hunt for the men with special abilities that she's heard about to see if maybe they can help her quiet the noise.
Maddox is a warrio
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance readers - Esp. Fans of BDB and IAD
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Recommended by RNDo and Vale - Thanks!
(4 Stars)

Ooohhh!!! Yummily sexy cover! That was my first reaction. ^_^ Seriously. Love the covers in this series.

The Darkest Night, the first book of the Lords of the Underworld series, is my first Gena Showalter book. I really liked it but wasn’t completely captured by it. I haven’t been hooked yet like I am with J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood. I’m putting it out there – I just LOOOVVEEE those Brothers!!! Okay? Bias, outted. Though, to be fair, I wasn’t completely addicted to the BDB unti
Emily May
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011

Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3.5 stars
Writing: 3.5 stars
Sexiness: 4.5 stars
Ending: 3.5 stars

Overall: 3.6 stars

SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
★Book Basics★

Genre : - Paranormal Romance
Series : - 1st in the series
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating - 5

★Review★

This is a new to me series, and as such, for me (even though this series has been out years) it was a refreshing take on the paranormal genre.

I loved both main characters, and the entire worl
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ by: Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4.5 STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Dija
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of BDB and PNR
What I expected:

1. A too-sexy-to-be-true hero.
2. A too-feminine-to-be-anything-but-Barbie heroine.
3. Lust at first sight that magically transforms into true love barely 50 pages into the book.

What I got:

1. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments.
2. Swoon-worthy heroes.
3. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

Yes, the girl's a virgin. Yes, the guy's an immortal who has existed since before time yet still hasn't ever fallen in love. But no, the girl's not a wimpy, gullible, brainless idiot. And no, the guy actuall
Buggy
Opening line: " Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he'd have to die again later.

As a fan of paranormal romance and in particular JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood my searches for what to read next kept taking me to this series. That's not to say the two are comparable, because they aren't but if you like continuing story arcs with multiple character POV's, hot, sexy love scenes, the occasional bloody fight and tortured yet strong alpha male
Kay
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was such a boring read, it is kind of ridiculous.

The Darkest Night is supposed to be a PNR book a-la-J.R. Ward - while there are many similarities, Showalter ultimately does not deliver. The book is filled with tortured fallen angels, forced to host a demon within them. But apart from being tortured, they are utterly indistinguishable. This is the case for the entire book - we are introduced to so many characters and none of them seemed to have a personality!

The heroine, Ashlyn, was a comp
Gary
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
wow what a first book five out of five and i can see me reading all the series very fast
AH
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I must admit that when I first started reading this novel, I absolutely hated it. I just could not get into this book. So I put it down, as cutie would say, in the time out corner for a few days.

I then decided to start over. After all, this book is highly rated by Goodreads reviewers. Everyone seems to love it. Well – I am glad I gave this book a second chance. Once I got over my initial confusion, I really could not put the book down.

The Darkest Night is the story of a group of warrior/brother
Anzu The Great Destroyer
The Darkest Night is a fun introduction to a new series (for me at least) that goes around demons, crazy people, violence, hot drooly (yes, I mean it as drool-y - it should be a word, it’s awesome) sex and extreme redecorating. But we all love crazy people don’t we? And violence. And sex. And hotties. Beats the hell out of watching Animal Planet.

Even though the book was a great read I found many problems regarding it. It stars with the typical PNR problem: the ease with which they hooked up. I’
Elle
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr-angeldemon
★★★ 3 STARS!

My first PNR by Gena Showalter. This was after I read BDB by JR Ward and hooked with Paranormal genre. My friend very recommend this LOTU series. At first, I was like.. Oh it looks like seven deadly sins, you know. Wrath, Pride, Lust, etc. So here is my rapid review:

Pros:
+ I always fascinated with mythology. So this one kinda intrigued me.
+ Never read demons as the main characters.
+ Steady paced for first book.
+ Very promising plot.
+ Interesting another way to see the side of 'God'.

C
bella farren
4 / 5 stars

“Now I live, even in my death.”

This book. THIS BOOK. Greek mythology, cursed warriors, the deadly sins and soul mates. What more could a girl ask for in life? Sometimes you just need some ridiculous, over the top PNR to take your mind off the real world.

And this book hit the spot. Reading this book was an unusual experience—part of myself was floating above and watching on in shock as I enjoyed this. The other half? It gave zero flying fucks.

Maddox was a immortal greek warrior w
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
*takes a deep breath* Thisisthemotherfuckingworst.
I thought that title went to Dark Lover but I was wrong - it's this one.
description
I don't even know where to start my hate rant for this, but it will have spoilers which I don't think matters because no one should waste their time with this one.

How about we start with the premise? Great! Hot ancient Greek warriors who, as a punishment from the gods, are each forced to possess a demon (violence, wrath, pain, diseases, death, doubt, promiscuity, etc) that
MISS VAIN
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PNR lovers!!!!!!
Shelves: gena-showaler
"Destroy.Hurt.Kill.Obliterate.
Kill.Hurt.Maim.
Kill.Kill.Kill.
KillHurtMaim.
Destroy, Destroy, Destroy, Kill."

Never has any man fictional or non fictional ever made those words sounds enticing, much less sensual but Gena Showalter has succeeded in making the inner dialgue of Maddox, the keeper of Violence a voice I want in my darkest erotic fantasies. ;)

Maddox as the Keeper of Violence has kept himself wrapped up in a tight guarded space to ensure the safety of others around and especially arou
Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-reads
My first Gena Showalter book was "The Stone Prince" back in 2004. Since then, I'm pretty sure I've read every book she's had published with the exception of her young adult line. And I'm also pretty sure that I've highly enjoyed every one! Her books always contain elements of magic and although her different series may have become darker and more sensual over the last couple of years, I, for one, am certainly happy about that!

"The Darkest Night" is her new series that revolves around the myth of

• A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1)
  • Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)
  • Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1)
  • Fantasy Lover (Hunter Legends Series #1)
  • Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1)
  • Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)
  • The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #0.5)
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1)
  • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
  • Dark Prince (Dark, #1)
  • Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #9)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2)
  • Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Shadow's Claim (Immortals After Dark, #12; The Dacians, #1)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of over seventy books, including the acclaimed Lords of the Underworld series, the Gods of War series, the White Rabbit Chronicles, and the Forest of Good and Evil series. She writes sizzling paranormal romance, heartwarming contemporary romance, and unputdownable young adult novels, and lives in Oklahoma City with her family an ...more

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1, Lords of the Underworld #9.25)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2, Lords of the Underworld #9.5)

Articles featuring this book

Want to dip your toes into the romance genre but don't know where to start? We've got you covered! And who better to match you with the perfect...
“You are mine, woman, and I am yours. Until you, my life was desolate. I existed, but I didn't truly live. Now I live, even in my death.” 447 likes
“Sometimes what we want isn't what we need.” 411 likes