[asmb] Book Club discussion

Archives > has anyone started The Name of the Wind?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I just picked it up yesterday and just now started reading it, and was wondering if any else had started it yet. If so what are your first impressions, and for the ones who have already read it are you going to reread it along with the rest of us?

message 2: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Glodson | 235 comments Mod
I've read it.

A few times. My wife has never read it, but I've recently reread it, so I will likely pick it up here or there.

I already have several things I want to say about it, but I'm going to give it some time before I do so.

Here's what I'll say about it in general. It is an excellent book. The story is complex, but not overly so. Characters are introduced, I felt, in such away that they are easily memorable. And the book has, I believe, a great deal of substance.

Even though I didn't vote for it, on account that I have read it, it is a great book to start off our Club with, and the next book isn't due out for sometime, so there's no pressure to read the next one, next month.

message 3: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
Like Glodson, I've already read the book, but only once. I'll probably read chunks of the book and post about it in the discussion. I may try to reread the whole thing, but... I find it hard to reread books when there are so many more that I've not read.

I didn't really think the story was complex, but that doesn't mean it's not great. I love that it's a story within a story though. It kind of makes me wish all books were told this way... then I could pretend someone is reading the story to me. >.>

message 4: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

When I said complex, I meant I felt it was more layered than anything else. I mean, it is easy to follow, but the fact that it is a story in a story adds a wrinkle to it.

So the plot isn't overly complex, but it is woven in such a way that it feels more real and alive.

That's what I was trying to get out.

message 5: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Jul 28, 2010 03:04PM) (new)

Oh, well, then I definitely agree with you. The story within a story aspect is really awesome and does make it feel more alive. That's what really engrossed me, having a character tell the story just... I don't know, makes it much more involving.

Darn Rothfuss, he needs to get that next book out. I want to know more about Kvothe and what's happening in the current world.

message 6: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Well that kinda sucks that both of yall have already read this book but atleast its a book both of yall seem to like. Im only on page 69 where the character Abenthy is introduced. He seems like a very interesting character that i hope sticks around for a part of the book.

My overall impression is that it has very interesting characters that you want to learn more about. I am hopeful for this book that it will be very engrossing. I was a little disappointed that it took so long to get to the back story(or the story within the story), but that might just be because i can be impatient at times. I was ready to learn what this Kote was hiding. Yet its nice to know where he ends up, you just dont know how he got there yet. I also loved the second chapter where you are introduced to Chronicler, it was so blissfully random after the dark overtones of the first chapter.

message 7: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments ...I've realized that this all is just an evil trick to get me to go to the book store. <.< >.>

Picked up the paperback version at ye ol' B&N today. Along with a newspaper, another book, a tiramisu parfait and a frappe.

I'm surprised I walked out that light myself. :D

message 8: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
hahaha, there usually is no evil trick to get me into a bookstore.

And i usually end up leaving B&N with starbucks, and a few books. Yesterday i managed to only buy this book and venti coffee. But i am broke from buying way to many books last month>.< (it was my birthday with means new books for me)

message 9: by Mary (last edited Jul 28, 2010 07:33PM) (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I'm all the way to page four. I just picked this up at the library(lucky me, it closes at like the end of the week, one less book I need to buy.)

I do have a question though. Are we going to discuss the book as we read and mark spoilers(or progress) in our comments? Or are we going to finish the book then discuss? Or pick set points to discuss to a certain chapter of the book? I have to know these things.

I didn't expect the book to be so long. I hope I can find time to keep up and get it finished on time.

Also, by page four-no impression yet. :D

message 10: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

We were gonna have two threads for the discussion, one that was spoiler free - where spoilers needed to be marked if they were discussed and one that you could post spoilers all you wanted without problems. Glodson was gonna wait to make them on the first, but I'm wondering if they should just be made now since you two have started reading it already. >_>

message 11: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Well its not like either of us are very far, i haven't even broken the 100page mark, so there isn't much to discuss since its mainly all backstory and build up to the point that I am at. I say wait till a few more have picked it up and started reading it.

message 12: by Punkyplatypus (new)

Punkyplatypus | 25 comments ...bought it & started...

...first impression: i'm glad this was chosen as the book of the month...for most books i have given up on, i know right after i start reading.....i'll definitely finish this one :)....

message 13: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I'm glad to hear that! I really am. =]

@Dian

Yeah, it might not be a bad thing to wait. We'll see what Glodson thinks tomorrow.

message 14: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments I haven't gotten it yet. Probably will this weekend. Next month I'll set aside some extra money for spending so I can get the next book right away.

message 15: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments Okay scratch the last comment my gf bought it for me. Reading it now. Yay! I'm not going to fall behind.

message 16: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

About the threads: I think we can start them on Sunday or Monday.

Like Jaime said, I think we'll do a Spoiler Free one and one for those that are finished.

Since I don't often have much time here on the weekends, if Jamie wants to start them, I'm perfectly fine with it.

I have a few thoughts on the book, but I am going to wait sometime before I post them, even in the spoiler free thread, just to give everyone time to read the book.

I hope everyone enjoys it, I really did.

message 17: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 391 comments Mod
Went to the bookstore and the woman working looked at me like I was high when I asked if they had it. So I ordered it online instead. Should be here Aug. 2nd. Good thing I read relatively fast. Kinda seems sucky that some have already read the book before. hmm, almost like cheating. lol. I'll be honest I will read the whole thing but if I don't like it, I won't tip toe around the issue. lol.

message 18: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

That's fine.

Part of this is just figuring out what others might, or might not, like. I know I'll suggest stuff that might not appeal to everyone.

And I didn't vote for this book because I haven't read it. However, it is an excellent book, I think.

message 19: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

You don't have to worry about voicing your dislike for the books we read for this thing, if you don't like it - you don't like it. Simple as that. Also, the lady at the bookstore was outta whack. Any kind of question as to whether the store has a book or not shouldn't be surprising. o.O

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin (jhumbug) | 7 comments I'm a few people behind in queue at the library, so it'll be a week or so til I get it.

message 21: by Justin (last edited Jul 30, 2010 07:48AM) (new)

Justin (jhumbug) | 7 comments My fiance laughed at me though when I asked her to get it for me. (she's a librarian) She's never read it but she says the cover and blurb makes it look ridiculous. But a lot of people seem to like it, so I'll be the judge of that.

message 22: by Brad7411 (new)

Brad7411 | 1 comments I read this book about 2 years ago and liked it a lot.
I need to pick it up and read it again, since the long awaited book 2 comes out in March 2011.

message 23: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

The cover is a little... generic really. >.<

Hopefully the people at the library are quick readers, otherwise it's gonna be more than a week.

message 24: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Justin wrote: "My fiance laughed at me though when I asked her to get it for me. (she's a librarian) She's never read it but she says the cover and blurb makes it look ridiculous. "

Oh yes. It makes it seem very bad.

It almost made me not get the book, despite reading a few good things about it.

Man, now I hope people do like it, or I'm going to feel silly.

message 25: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
DuctTapeDiva wrote: "Went to the bookstore and the woman working looked at me like I was high when I asked if they had it. So I ordered it online instead. Should be here Aug. 2nd. Good thing I read relatively fast. K..."
see people like that shouldn't work in customer service. What she should have done was look it up for you, and then if they didn't have it offer to order it for you. Thats just good business, instead you took your business elsewhere. People like that make me want to smack them, not only for being rude, but for being dumb as well.
Atleast you will get it relatively soon, and please voice your opinions, thats the fun of this place. I like hearing peoples opinions about books. If they differ from mine, it just means i get to debate you on points and try to win you over =)

message 26: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Silly because you like a book when others don't? I thought you were above that kind of.... peer pressure.

(peer pressure is not the word i was looking for there)

message 27: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Justin wrote: "My fiance laughed at me though when I asked her to get it for me. (she's a librarian) She's never read it but she says the cover and blurb makes it look ridiculous. But a lot of people seem to l..."

see, thats what would make me want to read it. I am similar to your girlfriend, sometimes the cover art and blurb don't interest me so i dont think twice about getting it. Yet if several people seem to like the book/series then I usually give it a shot. If it has a big following(especially for a library book) then there must be something too it. I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't have picked up this book if it wasn't for the group. I've only read a small bit, but I am glad the group picked this book, it seems rather interesting.

message 28: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Jamie wrote: "Silly because you like a book when others don't? I thought you were above that kind of.... peer pressure.

(peer pressure is not the word i was looking for there)"

No, silly for recommending it so highly. My opinion is not really going to change unless someone points out something glaringly huge that I missed.

But it is just a minor feeling. Paradoxically, the better I get to know someone, the more silly I feel when I recommend something highly and they don't like it. It represents a miscommunication in taste. In my brain.

message 29: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Jul 30, 2010 08:47AM) (new)

Ah, I see.

That's not much of a paradox really. I mean, if you are good friends with someone that usually implies you know their tastes and whatnot. When you recommend something and they don't like it, it's almost like you don't really know them well. I don't really think that's the case though as people's tastes in things vary widely and something small can put them off of something they would normally like/love.

Really, you should be happy that person isn't so easy to read. It means they are a human and not a robot.

message 30: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

In my experience, the closer I get to a person, the less I feel silly around them when I do something stupid.

Unless it is to recommend something they don't like.

message 31: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Dont feel silly, not unless you are walking about in nothing but a tutu, then yes feel silly.

So far I like the book, and it seems like the few people who have picked it up like it too. I do understand feeling...awkward (is how i'd describe it) about recommending something highly and no one else getting it/liking it. I use to feel that way quite often when I would recommend books or music, mainly cause I have such different tastes than a lot of my friends. I always hope others like the same things I do, and get the same amount of enjoyment out of the book; yet it doesn't bother me any more when they dont. I learned a long time ago that I am different than most people. I'm use to making jokes or references that no one else gets. I make tons of book references to my friends who just stare at me. I wouldn't worry though, this seems like a good book.

And Im sure i will recommend way more stuff to people that they dont end up liking. Thats just the way it goes. I always hope others enjoy what I recommend, not so they can like what I like, but so I know I brought them some enjoyment thru the recommendation.

message 32: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

I believe firmly in shopping in "mom& pop" stores before going to the national chains, Oddly enough it was the owner. I hate her, I have better luck when she's not there, the employees will offer to order for you, she won't. Oh well I was able to use some of my earned points that I got it quite cheap. Yay for cheap!

message 33: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

Jamie wrote: Also, the lady at the bookstore was outta whack. A..."
Oh, she's a bitch. I almost turned around & walked out when I saw she was working that day. lol.

message 34: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

Justin wrote: "I'm a few people behind in queue at the library, so it'll be a week or so til I get it."

I don't understand how people can borrow books. lol, I mean then you have to give them back.

message 35: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yeah they would send the library police after me. Id probably steal all the books

message 36: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I don't like chapter 16

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments DuctTapeDiva wrote: "Justin wrote: "I'm a few people behind in queue at the library, so it'll be a week or so til I get it."

I don't understand how people can borrow books. lol, I mean then you have to give them back."

I borrow books so I can stay within my budget. Paying bills is a pesky chore but it needs doing and the money to do it. The library lets me read so much more than I'd be able to without it. I'm fortunate to have a nice library in my town. I know not everyone has that.

Unfortunately they'll be closing soon for much needed remodeling for at least three months. I will miss it. And I will buy the books for Sept., Oct., Nov., and probably Dec., if I want to read them.

message 38: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments I am 95 pages into this book....and I think I've fallen in love. Whoever suggested it thank you I now have ignored my friends, food, family, water, any any real necessity including going to the bathroom...so brb.

message 39: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Hahaha, that's great!

message 40: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments Jamie wrote: "Hahaha, that's great!"

you may think so but accidents stop being cute after you hit a certain age Jamie!

message 41: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
thats when you get a portapotty.

message 42: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments Dian wrote: "thats when you get a portapotty."

so I should just sit on it all day? Maybe I could then I'd be mindless to anything but the story. I've decided to take small breaks in between but I should finish it by tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sleeping. I actually haven't read a book through since the third Harry Potter and that only took me 16 hours. This one is more comprehensive.

message 43: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
that might get uncomfortable....just lock your door and throw things at people who try to interrupt. I haven't been able to read this straight through. I can usually read a 300-400 page book in 24hours but only if I am left alone...i have not be able to sit down for more than a few hours at a time to read.

message 44: by Mary (last edited Jul 31, 2010 09:23PM) (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments You guys are going to be totally unimpressed with me. I made to page ten now. I just haven't had time to read. I'm hoping to have some time to get into the book next week.

I don't do books in one sitting, not since I was a child anyway. Since I've gotten old and stuff I'm more likely to be reading at least two books at a time. I like to switch back and forth between them for breaks so I don't get bored with either of them. I'm often reading three, or even four, actually. This is by choice, books that are read for pleasure.

message 45: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I usually have two books going on at once. But right now since I haven't had much time to read I've been focusing on this book

message 46: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Ya know, I can watch multiple shows, read multiple comics, play multiple games, and whatnot, but I haven't really done so with books yet. I just get really caught up in it and don't want to break for another book. I don't even know if I'd be able to read two at the same time.

Also, threads are open for discussion of the book. Make sure ya post in the appropriate one - either spoiler free or spoilers galore.

message 47: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (alexanderon) No. Not yet.

I'll see if they have a copy at the library. If they don't I'll order online.

message 48: by Mary (last edited Aug 01, 2010 02:21AM) (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments A lot of times how I arrange the different books is they're in different rooms. Or I have a paperback in my purse. That's how I end up with so many going at once, besides the break thing I already mentioned. I will shift them between rooms if I feel like it in order to read one more often.

message 49: by Sean (new)

Sean (reckless_kelly) | 35 comments Alright, I'm a little behind, but I just got the book yesterday. I'mma start reading it on the bus ride back to Connecticut.

I... am a little worried, 'cause on the back, it is recommended by Terry Brooks... who I hate with a fiery passion. <_<

message 50: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

It's only August 2nd, you aren't behind. o.O

« previous 1