Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Hans Christian Andersen (Part 50)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44178 comments Mod
Abigail wrote: "I'm starting to think that HCA may be one of those authors where we need to set a certain number of people to work on it, and prevent everyone else."

It is not currently possible to do that, and making it possible is a non-trivial endeavor. I'll suggest it again, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

It IS very frustrating to have this sort of thing happen. :( If you can determine which librarian(s) are the culprits and message me with that information, I can pursue it further with them directly.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44178 comments Mod
I would be too. Heck, have been when similar things have happened with authors I've spent lots of time on!

message 3: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
That is frustrating! Do you have any sense of how the people who did the combining got confused?

We can certainly lock an author except to a whitelisted list, but I worry that solution is just too exclusive and limiting, and I'd want to think through it a bit first. But I do need you all to keep mentioning these kind of issues so we can all judge if it's necessary or not.

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 62 comments Otis wrote: "We can certainly lock an author except to a whitelisted list, but I worry that solution is just too exclusive and limiting, and I'd want to think through it a bit first."

As an alternative, would it be possible to keep some sort of combine "revisions log"? It could keep track of each time an edition is combined or separated (and who did it). At the very least this would give librarians a clear idea of how to reverse the problem; at best, the log could come with a "rollback" feature to let us revert changes.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Abigail, Maybe it would work if you posted a librarian note for every single edition saying not to combine it with the other editions. I've been to some combine pages that have many of those. They're hard to ignore/not see.