Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > Theme Read - August 2010

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 22, 2010 07:16AM) (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments August, the month of sun and fun!

1) Read a mystery about travel or vacations; a mystery location at a popular vacation destination works too.

2) At the end of a nice summer vacation, it's back to school time - read an academic mystery.

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments For my travel mystery, I'm going to read Hula Done It?: A Passport to Peril Mystery which will also cover Hawaii for the US Challenge. And for academic, I'm going to read Blindsighted which begins with the murder of a young college professor.

message 3: by Daphne (last edited Jul 23, 2010 07:02AM) (new)

Daphne (Daphne2163) | 134 comments Great, I should be receiving in the mail today or tomorrow Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) by Donna Andrews, by Donna Andrews and that fits right in with the vacation theme. For the academic read, I think I will pick one of Gillian Roberts Amanda Pepper books.

I forgot that I am scheduled to read How I Spent My Summer Vacation (An Amanda Pepper Mystery) by Gillian Roberts for the summer season challenge, so that will also cover me for the academic read in this challenge.

message 4: by Sherrie (last edited Aug 08, 2010 09:51PM) (new)

Sherrie (VampireKisses2) | 412 comments For my academic I'll be reading Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend.

message 5: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 200 comments Great list, Suzanne! :-)

I'll be reading The Celtic Riddle (An Archaeological Mystery, #4) by Lyn Hamilton by Lyn Hamilton and Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1) by Kathryn Lilley by Kathryn Lilley.

Happy Reading, everyone! :-)

message 6: by Shay (new)

Shay | 410 comments Trine wrote: "Great list, Suzanne! :-)

I'll be reading The Celtic Riddle (An Archaeological Mystery, #4) by Lyn Hamilton by Lyn Hamilton and Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1) by Kathryn Lilley by Kathryn Lilley.

Happy Re..."

Have Dying to be Thin in my TBR pile. Let us know how it is. I probably won't be getting to it for months.

message 7: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 200 comments Shay wrote: "Trine wrote: "Great list, Suzanne! :-)

I'll be reading The Celtic Riddle (An Archaeological Mystery, #4) by Lyn Hamilton by Lyn Hamilton and Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1) by Kathryn Lilley by Kathryn Lilley...."

I'll let you know, Shay. :-)

message 8: by Lizz (new)

Lizz I might do this challenge but i have to think about my books.

message 9: by Marisa (last edited Jul 22, 2010 11:56AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3231 comments I think that for my academic reading I'm going to read Murder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri and for vacations I'm going to read G'Day to Die A Passport to Peril Mystery by Maddy Hunter (which will be useful for my around the world readings).

message 10: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Aug 25, 2010 07:52AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 64 comments Looking forward to the August challenges!

2/2 Done... Updated:8.25

Academic Read: FINISHED 8.22
Adam and Evil An Amanda Pepper Mystery (Anthony Awardwinning Series) by Gillian Roberts Adam and Evil by Gillian

Travel Read: FINSHED 8.25
Two Down (Crossword Mystery, Book 2) by Nero Blanc Two Down by Nero Blanc

message 11: by Valorie (last edited Jul 22, 2010 10:51PM) (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I'm going to read Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri for my back to school book. I really enjoyed the first book in the series! Not sure about the travel one yet. Maybe I'll read Swimming with the Dead (Underwater Investigation, #1) by Kathy Brandt for a vacation location. It is set in the Virgin Islands! Will that work?

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments Valorie wrote: "I'm going to read Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri for my back to school book. I really enjoyed the first book in the series! Not sure about the travel one yet. Maybe I'll read [bookco..."

Absolutely that will work! And that's a really good book IMHO. :)

message 13: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Suzanne wrote: "Valorie wrote: "I'm going to read Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri for my back to school book. I really enjoyed the first book in the series! Not sure about the travel one yet. Maybe ..."

great thanks! Now I cant wait to start it!

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments I guess I will put mine on to now. I think I am going to follow Valorie. with Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri for the back to school and then for vacation the Swimming with the Dead (Underwater Investigation, #1) by Kathy Brandt. I guess we tend to read the same thing as we are mother and daughter. We have a good time reading and discussing books. I thank her for this site. She is the one that told me about it. I am getting to a lot of books I have to read.

message 15: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Linda wrote: "I guess I will put mine on to now. I think I am going to follow Valorie. with Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri for the back to school and then for vacation the [bookcover:Swimming with..."

Yay mom! Like mother like daughter I guess!

message 16: by Marisa (last edited Aug 02, 2010 01:25AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3231 comments My reads (updated)

1 / 2 Done

1.- Travel, vacations or located at a popular vacation destination:

2.- Academic mystery: Murder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri Murder 101 by Maggie Barbieri (08/02 - **)

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments Just finished 212: A Novel by Alafair Burke which qualifies as my academic read. A college student is being stalked by a psycho on a campus website. This book was not cozy, but was very good.

message 18: by Courtney (last edited Aug 18, 2010 06:08AM) (new)

Courtney (cddimmitt) August Theme Reads

1/2 read

1. Vacations: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner ~ Stephenie Meyer

(It's set in Seattle. My parents happen to be there right now, so I'm counting that as a vacation/travel mystery. I personally would love to move there.)

2. Academic: Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2) by Victoria Laurie
Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend ~ Victoria Laurie

message 19: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 29 comments August Theme Reads

1. Vacations: Track of the Cat - Nevada Barr (National Park setting) Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon Mysteries, #1) by Nevada Barr

2. Academic: Murder 101 - Maggie Barbieri Murder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen wrote: "August Theme Reads

1. Vacations: Track of the Cat - Nevada Barr (National Park setting) Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon Mysteries, #1) by Nevada Barr

Just got this from the library, looking forward to it.

message 21: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I finished Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri and LOVED it! Hilariously funny with a cute romance and fun mystery!

message 22: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 29 comments August Theme Reads

1. Vacations: Track of the Cat - Nevada Barr (National Park setting) Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon Mysteries, #1) by Nevada Barr - Finished 8/4 - Really enjoyed this one and looking forward to others in the series.

2. Academic: Murder 101 - Maggie Barbieri Murder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri - Finished 8/9 - Cute story, I didn't think there was a whole lot of sleuthing but definitely fun characters and the start of a sweet romance (I think?)

message 23: by Marisa (last edited Aug 13, 2010 12:33AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3231 comments My reads (updated and finished)

2 / 2 Done

1.- Travel, vacations or located at a popular vacation destination: G'Day to Die A Passport to Peril Mystery by Maddy Hunter G'Day to Die: A Passport to Peril Mystery by Maddy Hunter (08/09 - ***)

2.- Academic mystery: Murder 101 (Murder 101, #1) by Maggie Barbieri Murder 101 by Maggie Barbieri (08/02 - **)

I'm afraid I'm not going to follow any of these series, I don't get the feeling, too "funny" and "chick" for me.

message 24: by ❂ Jennifer (last edited Aug 14, 2010 11:22PM) (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 2301 comments I'm a bit late to the game for this month, but I think I have time yet.

For travel, I've just ordered a copy of Alpine for You : A Passport to Peril Mystery. I picked this up when it first came out but for some reason it didn't grab me, so I put it back. But based on all the people here who have said they enjoyed this series, i think I have to give this a shot - I haven't been steered wrong by this group yet! :)

For academic, I just received Quick Study on Friday.

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'm a bit late to the game for this month, but I think I have time yet.

For travel, I've just ordered a copy of Alpine for You : A Passport to Peril Mystery. I picked this up when i..."

You can do it Jennifer!

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments I finished Extracurricular Activities by Maggie Barbieri and really liked it. I have the next one to read also. There are just so many authors that I did not know of before I joined this group. Thank you ladies.

message 27: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 2301 comments Suzanne wrote: "You can do it Jennifer!."

Thanks for the encouragement! :). I've just finished
Quick Study and really enjoyed it. I like this series more with each book.

Have started Alpine for You : A Passport to Peril Mystery tonight. Only 50 pages in so far but I can see potential...

message 28: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8228 comments Mod
Read the first two chapters of Elkins' Murder in the Queen's Armes before bed last night for the "academic" part of the challenge, Gideon Oliver being a professor. Am considering Crocodile on the Sandbank for the travel/vacation end of things. Although technically, since the Elkins' takes place in Dorchester, England, I could probably kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and count it for both.

Just hope I don't dream about anthropology classes again tonight...

message 29: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 2301 comments Ok, just finished Alpine for You : A Passport to Peril Mystery by Maddy Hunter. I really struggled with this book and kept coming up with reasons not to read it last night but today was a free day for me and the weather here is foul so I sat down and finished it. I like the main character and the humor, so I'll try the next in the series to see if the series hooks me. Sometimes it takes a couple of books.

This completes my challenge for this month. My first one, and I think it's such a great idea. I can see how these challenges will expand my cozy collection with books I wouldn't normally think to try. :)

message 30: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (VampireKisses2) | 412 comments Finished Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend. I liked this second book much better than the first.

message 31: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5133 comments Sherrie wrote: "Finished Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend. I liked this second book much better than the first."

I liked the first and third ones better than this one, but I didn't like the most recent one at all. It was terribly silly.

message 32: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (VampireKisses2) | 412 comments Melodie wrote: "Sherrie wrote: "Finished Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend. I liked this second book much better than the first."

I liked the first and third ones better than this one, but I didn'..."

I have the 3rd and 4th so I wonder what they will be like. MJ drives me crazy at times though and it takes me longer to get through the book because I have to put it down.

message 33: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I finished Swimming with the Dead (Underwater Investigation, #1) by Kathy Brandt for the travel theme and really enjoyed it! Can't wait to continue on with this series!

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments Valorie wrote: "I finished Swimming with the Dead (Underwater Investigation, #1) by Kathy Brandt for the travel theme and really enjoyed it! Can't wait to continue on with this series!"

I really liked this one too! I've got the second book in my TBR.

message 35: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments Suzanne wrote: "Valorie wrote: "I finished Swimming with the Dead (Underwater Investigation, #1) by Kathy Brandt for the travel theme and really enjoyed it! Can't wait to continue on with this series!"

I really liked this one too! I've go..."

Yeah,
I cant wait to find out what she gets into once she moves to the islands!

message 36: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8228 comments Mod
Finished Murder in the Queen's Armes by Aaron Elkins this evening. It was intended for the academic challenge as the main character is an anthropology professor, but it also fits the vacation/travel part of the challenge as it is set in Dorchester, England, a popular tourist area.

message 37: by Daphne (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:18AM) (new)

Daphne (Daphne2163) | 134 comments Theme Reads

Murder With Puffins - Vacations
Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) by Donna Andrews

How I Spent My Summer Vacation - Academic & Vacations
How I Spent My Summer Vacation (An Amanda Pepper Mystery) by Gillian Roberts

message 38: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Aug 25, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 64 comments Finished my August theme reads. Yahoo!
(original list posted in message #10)

message 39: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Aug 25, 2010 09:23AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 1542 comments Mod
Congrats Lindy-Lane, Daphne, Kari and any others who've finished.

message 40: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments I've decided to read The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas for my vacation destination book, instead of Hula Done It?: A Passport to Peril Mystery. I love this series and am about 100 pages into it. So, I think I will finish the August challenge - yea!

message 41: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments Featured Author & Theme Reads - August

FAC: Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers 8/26/10***

Theme Reads:
Extracurricular Activities by Maggie Barbieri 8/8/10 ****
Swimming with the Dead by Kathy Brandt 8/24 ****

Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101, #2) by Maggie Barbieri Swimming with the Dead (Underwater Investigation, #1) by Kathy Brandt

Yippee I finished now off to the next challenge

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments Woo hoo! I finished this challenge.

message 43: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 200 comments Finished reading Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1) by Kathryn Lilley by Kathryn Lilley and The Celtic Riddle (An Archaeological Mystery, #4) by Lyn Hamilton by Lyn Hamilton last month, but only The Celtic Riddle could be described as a cozy read.

message 44: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3231 comments Great, Suzanne! Now September, Autumn and states *evil grin*

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blindsighted (other topics)
Hula Done It? (other topics)
Murder With Puffins (other topics)
Dying to Be Thin (other topics)
The Celtic Riddle (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Donna Andrews (other topics)
Gillian Roberts (other topics)
Lyn Hamilton (other topics)