Start by marking “Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)

Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery #1)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  259 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The first course in a sleuth series sure to satisfy. In just a week, plus-sized TV producer Kate Gallagher has been laid off because of her weight and dumped by her boyfriend. So she enrolls in a weight loss clinic in Durham, NC. Soon, Kate's ready to sell her soul for some sweets. But when a diet guru turns up dead with fondue forks where his eyes were, Kate loses her app ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Dying to Be Thin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying to Be Thin

Wendy
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great start to what is no doubt going to be a fun cozy mystery series. Found myself laughing out loud several times. Kate is a snarky, fun, full of life character and I am very much looking forward to the next couple books in the series, which luckily I have sitting right here.
I love the 'diet' tips at the beginning of each chapter that are taken straight from 'The Little Book of Fat-busters by Mimi Morgan'.
Seems like this series will be following Kate on her never-ending struggle to lose weig
Cindy
Jul 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries, cozy
A news producer loses her job and her boyfriend, mostly because of her weight. She decides to visit a weight loss clinic, in search of a story and a new look. Instead, she finds a dead body.

I didn't finish this one. It wound up being racier than I like my mysteries and didn't really keep my attention. If you like cozies or want some sex in with your mysteries, you might like this one. I skipped through to the end and found that I had indeed managed to guess the murderer, but it wasn't worth the
Mascanlon
Aug 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
The first in the Fat City Mystery Series. This was a quick and fun read. But, and my favorite mystery pet peeve, smart characters head off to visit creepy suspects and locations with out a thought they might be in danger. Duh! It does move the story along and provide a way to reveal the bad guy but I always want to yell as they head off in contradiction to any common sense.
Evelyn Shepherd
May 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
This reminded me of why I don't read these kinds of books. The writing was subpar, Kate wasn't interesting and made poor decisions, it had a lot of fat shaming, it stereotyped BDSM (showing the author did no research), and the romance was stale and pointless. A big flop.
Ro
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars, I guess.
This book was cute and an okay, fast read, but I wouldn't recommend it, nor will I read the rest of the series.
It was light (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and the ending was anticlimactic, for me.
Also the love interest seemed kinda random.
MomIsReading
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. The main character was witty and fun. I like cozy mysteries and like to become attached to the heroine. Thanks to the author for making her a real life woman with a more normal body.
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2007, 286 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: 1st in Fat City mystery series
TIME/PLACE: Present/Durham, NC
CHARACTERS: Kate Gallagher/TV producer
FIRST LINES: Two p.m. On the road to Durham. I didn't know it yet, but the Whoopie Pie was ready to explode.

COMMENTS: bought 11/14/07 at MOTB for upcoming group discussion on cozy1stmystery group. Overall average -- character & plot. The hook is Durham/Diet
Leeankh
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have been on a cozy mystery kick for a few years now and this one caught my eye as something new to try. Overall, I enjoyed it. Often when I start a new series, I'm disappointed with the first installment. Happily, that did not happen this time. I think this was a very strong start to a series. It is a little seedier than I was expecting, but that doesn't bother me at all. :) Also, I must confess that I figured out who was behind everything rather early on and I deduced a big part of the motiv ...more
Lori
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The first in the "Fat City" mysteries takes place at an inpatient diet clinic. Coming off of a bad breakup and a job layoff, Kate decides to invest in herself by getting thin. But, deiting turns deadly when someone is murdered. Having a cop as a father, and experience in the tv news industry, arms Kate with the skills to begin her own investigation. Aside from a few spicier moments regarding the "Vixen's Den" and "The Razor's Edge" this book is a little bland. It's like eating a healthy salad; i ...more
Bet Lantaff
Oct 19, 2010 rated it liked it
For me, this was one of those 'keep a book in your desk at work in case you don't go out at lunch' books. I enjoyed it, the climax of the story was good and the characters were fleshed out and likeable. And it even had some snark in it, which I love. But that was all. I do have to say that I really enjoyed the 'diet tips' throughout the book, tho. I have the next book in the series and will, most likely, read it too. But I don't feel like I can't wait to start the next book. To me, that is what ...more
Susan
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it
TV producer Kate Gallagher leaves for Durham, NC, hoping to lose enough weight to become an on-air personality after she's fired from her Boston job. Her first morning at Fruit House, she discovers the dead body of the diet doctor she's come to work with. Soon she's covering two stories at once, with two men attracting her. But one of the is the police detective investigating the murder--and the other may be involved.
Lesley Looper
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: other mystery fans who've been patients at one of the Durham diet clinics.
I enjoyed this mystery for a couple of reasons:

1) I've participated in one of the Durham diet clinics
2) I've been sick with the flu over the holiday weekend, and have enjoyed the light reading.

That being said, I must admit that I'm looking for something a little meatier to read now. Still, I'd like to read the next installment in this series. I did find the protagonist to be a pretty likeable character, and I enjoyed reading a story set in Durham.
Kelly
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I learned about this book from a yahoo group and picked it up. I live in North Carolina, which is the setting for the book, so it especially appealed to me. I liked the main character, Kate. I liked her spunk and her vulnerability. I will definitely continue with this series as more are published.
Heather Truckenmiller
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
If I had read this one first, I might not have bothered with the rest of the series. The series gets better, and I think this is the only one dealing with S&M. I'd recommend skipping this book and starting the series on book two.
Melissa
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Book #1 read in 2008

This was a pretty decent first novel for the author. I liked the main character and that she seems to be a real woman with real women problems. A fun cozy mystery.

Sent to a bookcrosser
Pat
Mar 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fast Read - cute little diet tips at the beginning of each chapter - kept me guessing up until the end whodunit - fast read - will probably get some more of these books by this author - lighthearted mystery
Barbara
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
This was another first book and overall not a bad beginning. I think there were some bad copyedits, but other than that, it's fine. I doubt I'll read the rest of them but this book was okay.
Knicki
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A very amusing book to read.
Dee  Depoe
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Great cozy mystery. This one is directed at the fitness buffs. It has diet tips.
Sherrie
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This kept me reading and was just a good book.
Rin
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a nice little break from some of the heavier books I've been reading. Will definitely read the rest of the series :)
Amber Jones
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great story. I had no idea who the murderer was. The person I thought was completely innnocent. Light and easy read. Wish I could lose 10 lbs in a week...
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
Very cute cozy. I can relate with the dieting woes.
Erin
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-series
Meh.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was okay. It just never really caught my attention.
Ann
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
A new series for me. I like Kate. She's very human and I totally identify with her quest to find her "best self". I will be reading more in this "Fat City Mystery" series.
Pat
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it
just another fun mystery
Beth
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Book 1 in a cozy mystery series that takes place in North Carolina. Well written, interesting and easy to read.
Linda
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable first book in the series. It took me a bit to get into it but by the end I was looking forward to reading the next book and seeing what happens with the characters.
Tory Wagner
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Fun, quick read in the cosy genre. Enjoyed it, but not sure I'd bother reading another.
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
  • Tutu Deadly (Jenny T. Partridge, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Murderers Prefer Blondes (A Paige Turner Mystery #1)
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • Flamingo Fatale (Trailer Park Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery, #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Maid for Murder (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Veiled Threats (Carnegie Kincaid, #1)
As a pre-teen, I had two passions: Nancy Drew mysteries and Pralines ’n Cream ice cream. So it was perhaps inevitable that I grew up to write a series called the Fat City Mysteries.

My stories are set in Durham, North Carolina, the self-proclaimed “Diet Capital of the World.” And like my journalist sleuth, Kate Gallagher, I understand the Battle of the Bulge all too well. I once lost 90 pounds to l
More about Kathryn Lilley

A Fat City Mystery (3 books)
  • A Killer Workout (A Fat City Mystery, #2)
  • Makeovers Can Be Murder (A Fat City Mystery, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)