One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 1.0 > August Challenge ---> 2010

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 21, 2010 06:42PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) The month of August brings a new challenge, and for some of us this dreadful thing called ~school~.

I have finally been able to come up with a challenge! So get ready, set, go!

For this month, participants can try to: Read a book where the main character is still in school.

So with this, I send you off to your bookshelves and the library! Happy Reading! :D

**Some of you may want to start reading early for this challenge. If so, you can start August-reading on July 29th, and the books will still count.**

message 2: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) For this challenge, I will read Unbelievable, Wicked, The Titan's Curse, and maybe Battle of the Labyrinth.

message 3: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 188 comments Mod
Sounds easy enough! There are always books in my to-read lists that have students as main characters.
I'll decide which one I'll read later...

And to those of you that are preparing themselves for "this dreadful thing called ~school~" to quote Zakiya, have a great new school year! ;)

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (preciousandreckless) | 23 comments Ohh I want to play! But I'll need some reccomendations of books set in a school environment?

message 5: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments I will try to participate in anything that I can find in my Nook. I wanted to also re-read the Harry Potter series anyway.

message 6: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 22, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Meghan: Harry Potter is a good choice, if you like the books or are interested of course. I know some people don't like him.

Natasha: Yes, I don't really notice when I read books about kids in school, but for some reason, I just repel the idea.

Thenia: Thanks! I will try to have the best 8th grade year possible. Most of my friends have to go to other schools this year because they changed the zones. Oh well. We lose some, we make some. :).

Jamie: Uhm, some recommendations. Well, Percy Jackson is a good one. The first book is The Lightning Thief. Two others are Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder. I will try to find some more for you. I have to look at my bookshelf. :).

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (preciousandreckless) | 23 comments Zakiya wrote: "Meghan: Harry Potter is a good choice, if you like the books or are interested of course. I know some people don't like him.

Natasha: Yes, I don't really notice when I read books about kids in s..."

Thanks! I was thinking Never Let Me Go. I tried to read it a few years ago and just couldn't get into it. But maybe it's worth another look

message 8: by Zakiya (last edited Aug 12, 2010 03:03PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) These are the books that I'm officially going to try reading for this challenge:

Unbelievable, Pretty Little Liars #4
Wicked, Pretty Little Liars #5
The Titan's Curse, Percy Jackson #3
Battle of the Labyrinth, Percy Jackson #4 (maybe)
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
Suddenly Supernatural
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix , Harry Potter #5 (maybe)

message 9: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Jamie wrote: "Zakiya wrote: "Meghan: Harry Potter is a good choice, if you like the books or are interested of course. I know some people don't like him.

Natasha: Yes, I don't really notice when I read books ..."

I'm not sure I've heard of that before. But yes, every book deserves another look :).

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (preciousandreckless) | 23 comments Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry is one of my favorite books! I read it in the 6th grade and it really made an impact on me.

message 11: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'm glad to hear that! Yes, it made me think differently as well. I read it in the 5th grade I think. :).

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments Hmm I'm not sure if I'll get to this with my other challenge but it's a good idea!

A few books with a student as the main character that I would recommend are

Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann and
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

Also just like everyone else I would recommend Harry Potter, I just love him :) but the Wake triology was really good

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Does rereads count? If so, I have some books that I have read already, but want to reread before I continue those series.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Angela wrote: "Hmm I'm not sure if I'll get to this with my other challenge but it's a good idea!

A few books with a student as the main character that I would recommend are

Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann and
[..."

Hex Hall is really good.

message 15: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yes! As always, rereads count! :D.

Angela: I will have to look into Wake. And maybe ven Hex Hall :).

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments You should Z!

message 17: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yes, I want to. But something I just noticeD: I'd have to get it on my Kindle, and I don't think I will have enough money for that. I already ahve to get Unbelievable, Wicked, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. That's about $21 - $23 just for those three, and my parents are only giving me 30 every month. :(. I wish they'd give me more allowance. I think they might let me get one book from Books A Million.. will investigate the situation.. :D.

message 18: by Amy ~Lover of Books~ (last edited Jul 23, 2010 06:11PM) (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Zakiya wrote: "Yes! As always, rereads count! :D.

Angela: I will have to look into Wake. And maybe ven Hex Hall :)."

Then, I am planning on rereading Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater since Grace is in school.
I am not sure if Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater or The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa has someone still in school.

message 19: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Well Shiver sounds like a nice read. Again, not sure if I will be able to get it. But have a shot at it! Ive heard mixed feelings about Linger. I'm not sure if they have student main charries, either.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to read Hex Hall also.

Others, Beautiful Creatures, Twilight Series, Hush Hush, House of Night series, Fallen, The CArrie Diaries, and there are so many more.

message 21: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yes, there are def a bunch more. Al of the Twilight books count except for Breaking Dawn, because Bella graduated in Eclipse.

message 22: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) school in august?! poor little things!

message 23: by Amy ~Lover of Books~ (last edited Jul 29, 2010 02:03PM) (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Zakiya wrote: "Well Shiver sounds like a nice read. Again, not sure if I will be able to get it. But have a shot at it! Ive heard mixed feelings about Linger. I'm not sure if they have student main charries, either."

I wish I knew if Linger and Iron King has the person in school still. I know the summary of Iron King starts out saying the main character never fit in her high school etc. etc.

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments Linger she is still a student but she doesn't spend time at the school really. if that helps

message 25: by Amy ~Lover of Books~ (last edited Jul 29, 2010 06:39PM) (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Angela wrote: "Linger she is still a student but she doesn't spend time at the school really. if that helps"

Oh okay. I wonder if that still counts towards this challenge.

message 26: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments I'm going to read Brideshead Revisited again. Haven't read it for about a decade or so. I think the main character is only in school, Oxford, for about 1/2 of the book, though.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments im going to read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side since she is a senior in high school in this one

message 28: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Amy. She was still enrolled in the school, even if she didn't go. I would say that it counted :).

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Zakiya wrote: "Amy. She was still enrolled in the school, even if she didn't go. I would say that it counted :)."

Ok.

message 30: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) No probs.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Zakiya wrote: "No probs."

I am currently reading this one right now Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready Only on chapter 3 so far, but from what I have read so far, the main character is in school still.

message 32: by Thenia (new)

I'm going to read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac for my August challenge and it fits for this challenge, too, so I'm in!

Enjoy your books everyone! And have a new school year!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Thenia wrote: "I'm going to read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac for my August challenge and it fits for this challenge, too, so I'm in!

Enjoy your books everyone! And have a new school year!"

I've just read that book!

message 34: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) did you like it?

message 35: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Unbelievable, Pretty Little Liars #4
Wicked, Pretty Little Liars #5
The Titan's Curse, Percy Jackson #3
Battle of the Labyrinth, Percy Jackson #4 (maybe)
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Logans #1 currently reading
Suddenly Supernatural: School Spirit
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix , Harry Potter #5 (maybe)

message 36: by Amy ~Lover of Books~ (last edited Aug 29, 2010 11:48AM) (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments 1.) Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready (DONE)
2.) The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (DONE)
3.) The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted (DONE)
4.) The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard (DONE)

Okay, I started The Iron King last night and it started that the main character was in school until strange things happen so she goes to the world of the fey. So, my I answered my question from a previous post after all.

message 37: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) What was your prev. question? Oh.. NVM! Looked back. Yepp, you answered it! :D.

message 38: by Andrez (last edited Aug 16, 2010 03:16PM) (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Airhead - Meg Cabot
Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies - Erin Dionne
Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E Pearson
The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet - Erin Dionne
Beastly - Alex Flinn
A Match Made in High School - Kristin Walker

On summer vacation but still old enough to go to school (or will go there when the summer ends)

The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han
The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Ann Brashares
Keeping the Moon - Sarah Dessen

Endless Summer - Jennifer Echols - currently reading

message 39: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) A challenge I qualify for All-American Girl.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 498 comments Zakiya wrote: "What was your prev. question? Oh.. NVM! Looked back. Yepp, you answered it! :D."

Lol

message 41: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Haha, I just got alittle confused there, then went back and reread. :).

Jencey: Awesome! Tell me if you enjoy it!

Leonor: As always, you're blowing everybody else away! :D

message 42: by Thenia (new)

I finished Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac. It was an interesting book, although I have to admit I wanted the ending to be a little different.

Enjoy your books everyone! August is almost over...

message 43: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments Hmm I added that one to my list Thenia, it sounds good :)

message 44: by Zakiya (last edited Aug 28, 2010 11:21AM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) All ive finished for the month of august is unbelievable. I have been reading roll of thunder, hear my cry. But I haven't finished it yet...

message 45: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments I just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and that is about it for the month

message 46: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) A great book! Did you enjoy it?

message 47: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments Always do! :) Rowling was a genius when it came to writing this series.

message 48: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments I failed the challenge. Didn't have the time to read my book. I kept pushing it back and then all of a sudden August is gone. I hate the kids going back to school.

message 49: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Meghan : I think that same! :)

Shay: Don't worry about it! And you didn't "fail" anything. It's just for those who have time, or want to try. And trust me, half the time I don't have time either. S'okay! There's always more challenges :D.

Great reading in August everyone; good luck in September! Happy Reading,

Zakiya

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.