Chick Lit discussion

How to Convert Someone to Chick Lit

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chick Lit Shorties (ChickLitShorties) | 16 comments First impressions are key in life, right?

Many people are open to book recommendations, so if you can give them to read the right book, maybe they'd be hooked too!

So what is that "right book"?

Would love to hear your recommendations:

Which book would you recommend someone read as their Very First Chick Lit book? (and would love to hear why!)

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleleivas) | 5 comments My very first Chick Lit book was "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin and I would absolutely recommend it to people (in fact, the book club I'm a part of has officially added her to our "To Read" list because I keep telling them how amazing she is). I would recommend either Something Borrowed OR Love the One You're With by Giffin. You instantly relate to the protagonists and what they're going through. You'll find yourself nodding in agreement with whatever the main character is saying (her books are all written in the first person). Her main characters are always so relatable, I often wonder if she write about things she herself has gone through. I'd love to find out!

Chick Lit Shorties (ChickLitShorties) | 16 comments We've read both, and could not agree more with you more about those being fantastic books! In fact, for me personally, Something Borrowed was actually what plunged me deep into the club of Chick Lit, meaning it's what led me to discover that the books I've been reading for years are all part of an (awesome) genre :)

I suppose it makes sense to put your best foot forward to newbies, but from there Emily Giffin's a hard act to follow! :)

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleleivas) | 5 comments Oh absolutely! :) It's almost eerie how I manage to read one of her books that can totally relate to what I happen to be going through at the time. I read Something Borrowed a few years ago and I could one hundred percent relate to Rachel (although my situation wasn't quite that dramatic...). Now I'm reading "Love the One You're With" and, yet again, Ellen and I seem to be on exactly the same page. If you'll excuse the pun. :)

Chick Lit Shorties (ChickLitShorties) | 16 comments love puns! :)

message 6: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 26 comments I like reading a good catcher, funny chick lit books. I haven't read one in a while. I have some buddies that aren't into chick lit books and that's okay. I know that they will see how I feel about a book, when they read my reviews or even if we are playing a book game and I talk about a chick lit book. Well, the hero in the book. :)

Chick Lit Shorties (ChickLitShorties) | 16 comments Catchy and funny, definitely important ingredients!

Any particular ones that stand out?

message 8: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 26 comments Let me get back to you on that Chick Lit Shorties.

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 43 comments My first reads were Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes and Candace bushnell - today the options and fantastic authors are limitless!! I include Emily Giffin, Lauren Weisberger, Sarah Mlynowski, Beth Harbison, Kyra Davis, Allison Winn Scotch and so many many more.

It's my dream to see my name in the Chick Lit genre one day with my own book - slowly but surely I'm writing - Chick Lit Shorties, how did you get the idea for your fabulous site?!?!

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleleivas) | 5 comments I agree--that idea is brilliant!! It's such a great way for aspiring writers to get their work out there and gey some feedback on it.

@Cathy: I know exactly what you mean. If I could walk into a bookstore and see a book with my name down it's spine--even if it's just one lonely copy--I'd be the happiest girl on earth. Sigh... One day, right? :)

message 11: by Nidia (new)

Nidia (nidmartinez) | 3 comments Some of my top chick lit titles: Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Remember Me?, Can You Keep a Secret?

Have people read any of those and they'll get hooked!

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 43 comments Nidia wrote: "Some of my top chick lit titles: Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Remember Me?, Can You Keep a Secret?

Have people read any of those and they'll get hooked!"

I've read all of these...and I am with you - some fan favorites for sure!! Remember Me? was actually the book that brought me back into Chick lit...I saw it at a local drug store last October or September, got it, and have been reading CL strong ever since! I don't know how I stayed away from it so long!

message 13: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments I have recommended Sophie Kinsella to 2 non-Chick Lit fans, and converted both of them! The first was Can You Keep a Secret, and the second was Remember Me? To keep them hooked, I recommended was The Next Thing On My List by Jill Smolinski. All are such great reads!

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim | 5 comments Confessions of a Shopaholic got me hooked to chick lit. I love the whole series and I can't wait for the new one in the series Mini-Shopaholic to be released. I also loved Can You Keep A Secret. Something Borrowed is also a favorite of mine.

message 15: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments Kim, I agree that "Confessions of a Shopaholic" is a great one to recommend to first time readers as well as Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret" - actually anything by SK is great. My first chick lit book was "Bridget Jones' Diary" way back when it was first released. It totally got me hooked (I read it 3 times) and at that time it was really hard to find chick lit. I highly recommend it as a good introduction but the movie has probably kept some from reading it. My next suggestion would be "Playing James" by Susan Mason. I've read it twice and laughed both times.

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 43 comments Jenger wrote: "Kim, I agree that "Confessions of a Shopaholic" is a great one to recommend to first time readers as well as Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret" - actually anything by SK is great. My first ..."

I don't know why I always forget BJD!! I did read that one before SK but something about Shopaholic stuck with me much more than Bridget's tale...cute book..and definitely a begining point in chick lit.

I've also heard that the book The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing was a gorundbreaking Chick Lit novel? Did anyone read that? Agree? Disagree? I havent' read it but like i said - I heard its been viewed as one of the first Chick Lit books along with Bridget....

message 17: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 18 comments i read it not too long after BJD and i liked it but it's not a favorite - definitely overshadowed by many others.

Chick Lit Shorties (ChickLitShorties) | 16 comments @kourtney, congrats on the conversions! and to everyone who's suggested Something Borrowed, you were so right, have two new conversions to report thanks to good ol' emily (and seemingly one pending based on Love The One You're With :) also thanks for the tip about The Next Thing On My List, it sounds great (and has been added to the "to read" list :)

@cathy, The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing has now been added to the "to read" shelf, thanks for the suggestion.

and also thanks for your earlier praise for our site! it's meant to be a fun place for both readers and writers of Chick Lit to hang out and have some fun doing exactly what they like - reading or(/and!) writing Chick Lit! short stories are a great way for writers to practice and get their name out there, and for readers to get a quick fix in, so combining the two...voila, Chick Lit Shorties was born ;) thrilled that you joined us! (looking forward to perhaps reading one of your short stories some day? :)

message 19: by Lynnea (new)

Lynnea (lalasbooks) My mom hated chick lit and couldn't understand why my sister and I loved them so much. We finally convinced her to read the Shopaholic Series and she loved it... from there she read everything we had (Queen of Babble, Little Lady Agency, ect.)

message 20: by Allyson (new)

Allyson Sophie Kinsella is the best! As long as there are spunky, sassy women around, we will want to read Chick Lit. I write Chick Lit mysteries (see my profile if you're interested) and I couldn't imagine a heroine without the attitude, sophistication and humor Chick Lit has brought into popular literature.

message 21: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookwormmel) | 3 comments As someone who was first given Watermelon by Marian Keyes by a friend and then fell in love with the genre I always recommend Marian Keyes. It's usually Rachel's Holiday rather than Watermelon - I feel the book is funny and smart and all things chick-lit should be.

I also love recommending The Secret Dream-world of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

message 22: by кєяo (new)

кєяo (echoinggreen) | 2 comments I'm a mystery/thriller girl, new to chick lit. I got interested in chick lit by reading Confessions of a Call Center Gal by Lisa Lim by Lisa Lim. It was my the first ever chick lit pick and I loved it.

If you want to know more about it, you can hop on to my blog to read the author's interview and enter the e-book giveaway.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I loved The Nanny Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada. Both of these got me into chick lit. (And I loved the movie of The Devil Wears Prada!)

message 24: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (jhinds) My sister started to convert me with Lisa Kleypas. I read Tempt me at Twlight and it was all over. I first started reading and wasn;t really sold. Now Ive read about of her books and moved on to others!!