The Call of the Wild The Call of the Wild discussion

I need to pick it up for a re-read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

Jon Oelman its been a while since I have read any Jack London - but always loved his stuff - "to build a fire" is one of my favorite short stories. Let me know when you are done, and lend me the book for a re-read!

By the way, its total bullcrap that you got a foul ball at the giants game. Ive always wanted one, and only been even close once.

message 2: by Emilly R (new)

Emilly R The Call of the Wild by Jack London,bring me back to childhood,reading the suffering of the tormented dog and finally triumph,there was also a movie that was quiet accurate.

Ricarda Grey Emilly R wrote: "The Call of the Wild by Jack London,bring me back to childhood,reading the suffering of the tormented dog and finally triumph,there was also a movie that was quiet accurate."
i agree with the movie concept only because its one of the only movies that does not add on to the story such as legend of the gardieans <- movies like that are horrible they never show anything good about the books unlike call of the wild movie <- this type of movie shows that its not a crime to make a move almost exactly like the book

Brad Lee whoa just looked it up on netflix and there are like 7 movies called call of the wild. Which are you guys talking about?

Ricarda Grey Brad wrote: "whoa just looked it up on netflix and there are like 7 movies called call of the wild. Which are you guys talking about?"
ah i don't know i did not know there was more then one

Beth I didn't read this book until I was an adult. I could never reread it because I loved the dog, and I wouldn't want to feel the way I felt when I read the book the first time. I was sad and felt terrible for the dog throughout the book.

message 7: by Huw (new) - rated it 3 stars

Huw Evans As a child it reduced me to tears; as an adult it did the same

Brad Lee I didn't find it that sad. Sure Buck is consistently dealt bad hands. The point is that nothing is given to you in the wild. Buck had to fight literally tooth and nail to make his life good again. I think you're supposed to admire that not cry for him.

Joanne When I was 10, my father gave me a complete set of Jack London. I read Call Of The Wild first, and loved it despite the tears. I worked my way through the entire set, too young for some of the books. Valley Of The Moon was a favorite.

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Golden It's public domain. If you have an e-reader, or can stand reading it on a PC/tablet, you can legally download it here, free of charge:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/215

Catherine I hated this book...

Yasa  Al-kiyumia I liked it...The ending was breathtaking.

message 13: by Bish (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bish Denham I read it, the first time, when I was around 12. It was the book that taught me the power of words, for it was first book to make me cry. The ending is so beautiful, even to this day when I read the last paragraphs tears well up in my eyes.

message 14: by Kaj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaj Samuelsson Call of the Wild was the second full book I read when I was 9 or 10 (translated version, in Swedish). The first book I ever read was Lappo by Helge Törnros, and it was that book that made me read Call of the Wild. I finally found Lappo again (hard to find as last printing was in 1955) and I will re-read both Lappo and Call of the Wild (this time in English)