Start by marking “The Call of the Wild” as Want to Read:
The Call of the Wild

Read Book* *Different edition

The Call of the Wild

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  277,947 ratings  ·  8,032 reviews

This gripping story follows the adventures of the loyal dog Buck, who is stolen from his comfortable family home and forced into the harsh life of an Alaskan sled dog. Passed from master to master, Buck embarks on an extraordinary journey that ends with his becoming the legendary leader of a wolf pack.

Included in this Edition is the short story, To Build a Fire, London s

Published January 1st 2005 by Prestwick House Inc. (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Call of the Wild, please sign up.
Michelle I think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into…moreI think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into without some guidance. Children will understand it as a grand adventure story told through the eyes of a dog. Adults will see the deeper themes about society, human nature and justice.

There is quite a bit of violence in the book (dog fights, dog deaths, animal abuse), so that is something to consider if giving it to a child to read, as well. (less)
Bodhi It is a short novel, a novella. Some editions have only 100 pages! It has seven (VII) separately named parts or "chapters".

Bookdragon Sean
Men are so cruel. The way they break animals is deplorable; they use them, exploit them and abuse them all in the name of sport, entertainment and human convenience. Men are cruel. They try to conquer rather than living in a world of mutual respect; it’s man who has lost his nature, and he imposes such a thing on everything he comes across, but the animals will fight back:

“With a roar that was almost lion like in its ferocity, he again hurled himself at the man”

Buck is kidnapped (dognapped is
brian
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a dog obsessive. i'm nuts. dogs are my moby dick. they're my opera-house in the jungle. if i had a genie in a bottle, i'd wish away all human life (including my own) so dogs could take over the world. wait. that'd be wish number two. number one would be that i had an olympic sized swimming pool filled with dogs and i could do a few laps. then i'd erase humanity. seriously. my dog is the coolest guy i've ever met, my best friend, and love of my life. if it sounds weird: piss off. i don't wan ...more
Stephen
REVIEW ADVISORY:

Please be aware that, while the following review contains a number of adorable animals pics, young Ricky Schroder, who starred in the movie version of the novel, will NOT appear...I feared that would raise the sugar content of this report to diabetically dangerous levels.

Awwwwwww.....the classic “coming of age” story, with the nifty twister of having the main character be a pawky puppy going on doggiehood. I really licked it liked it, so two paws up there.

BTW, I'm not going t
Ben Winch
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, anglo, 5-stars
I defy anyone - man, woman or child - not to like The Call of the Wild. It's the most exciting adventure, the most moving love story, the deepest meditation on a creature and its place in nature. If you aren't cheering for Buck the dog by the end of this you're either hard-hearted or a cat-lover.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Call of the Wild, Jack London
The Call of the Wild is a short adventure novel by Jack London. The central character of the novel is a dog named Buck. The story opens at a ranch in Santa Clara Valley, California, when Buck is stolen from his home and sold into service as a sled dog in Alaska. He becomes progressively feral in the harsh environment, where he is forced to fight to survive and dominate other dogs. By the end, he sheds the veneer of civilization, and relies on primordial instinct
Mark Lawrence
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remembered discovering either Call of the Wild or Whitefang when I was a boy and really liking it, so on finding this on our shelves I read it to Celyn (12 but too disabled to read).

I found myself translating on the hoof as the book was written in 1903 and much of the language is quite Dickensian. Celyn's vocabulary, whilst largely unknown to me, must be derived from books and conversations, and neither of those would have supplied her with many of the words in Call of the Wild.

I found myself
jessica
my goodness, this is a tough one for me to review. the abundance of violence and animal cruelty made this such an emotional read for me. i can understand why this is a classic and so well loved - there are many great themes in this book and the resolution is quite satisfying, but i struggled with most of the content. this was not a bad book, it just wasnt as enjoyable for me personally.

Lynne King
“Love, genuine passionate love, was his for the first time. This he had never experienced at Judge Miller’s down in the sun-kissed Santa Clara Valley. With the Judge’s sons, hunting and tramping, it had been a working partnership; with the Judge’s grandsons, a sort of pompous guardianship; and with the Judge himself, a stately and dignified friendship. But love that was feverish and burning, that was adoration, that was madness, it had taken John Thornton to arouse.”

In reading this book, I had
Councillor
The Call of the Wild is the classic dog novella, the book to check out if you want to know how dogs were portrayed in classic literature. Nobody could deny Jack London's reputation in his genre, and thousands of readers seem to love his dog stories. He was certainly a good author, as it is almost impossible to think of any other author who might have been able to paint such a dark, realistic and captivating picture of the Alaskan landscape, of nature's rudeness and the frameworks of the laws of ...more
Mohsin Maqbool
I FIRST read Jack London's "The Call of the Wild" as a Classics Illustrated comic-book in the 1960s. I was in my early teens and was hardly interested in who Mr. London was or what he did for a living. All I was interested in was reading comic-books and enjoying them.
description
Finally, I was able to read the 32,000-word adventure novella this year in September-October. The book ended up in my list of favourite books. I also felt somewhat disappointed with myself for not having read the tome during my scho
Apatt
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novels narrated from a dog’s point of view are rarities. I distinctly remember reading two, Fluke by the late great James Herbert, and Cujo by Stephen King (only partly from the dog’s POV). If the author’s talent is up to the task, it is quite a nice change in perspective (though I am sure you wouldn't want to read fiction from a canine perspective all the time unless you are a dog, even actual dogs don't want to do that, I have asked a few).

Set in the Yukon during the 1890s Klondike Gold Rush,
Scoobs
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scoobs by: Juliet Echo Whisky
Joseph
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call of the Wild by Jack London is the fictional biography of a Santa Clara dog who finds himself on an adventure of a lifetime. London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self-educated past grammar school.

The story opens with Buck, a St. Bernard and Ge
Orsodimondo
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana, avventura
IL VALORE DELLA LIBERTÀ
Nonostante l’ambientazione sia principalmente all’aria aperta, questo romanzo è è un capostipite del genere ‘carcerario’, autentica discesa agli inferi: perché Buck viene strappato alla sua vita di cane domestico, fatta di ozio riposo coccole e sicurezza, e sbattuto in un attimo in un mondo di cattività, violenza, repressione, prevaricazione – da un’esistenza protetta, da pari a pari, scagliato nell’inferno dove domina la legge del più forte – dal sole della California ai
Char
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

The Call of the Wild is told from the dog Buck's point of view.

I read this as a teenager but I don't remember much of it. I do remember that I received it as a Christmas present and that it was part of a package of classic books, but that's about it.

I'm glad I re-read this, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did back in the day,(if I remember correctly). I am not a person that enjoys anything with animal abuse and as I get older I find myself less and less tolerant of those sorts of scenes.
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این داستان، یکی از شاهکارهایِ <جک لندن> میباشد که از 7 فصل تشکیل شده است و <جک لندن> این داستان را بر اساسِ مشاهدات و تجربیاتش در "قطب شمال" نوشته است و قهرمانِ داستانش همچون داستانِ معروفِ "سپید دندان"، بازهم یک سگ است... سگی با ابهت و با تنومند به نامِ <باک> که بر اساسِ نوشته هایِ <جک لندن> سگی بوده است که سلطانِ خزندگان و پرندگان و چرندگان آن منطقه بوده است و در بین اهالی و همچنین ساکنینِ خانهٔ صاحبش یعنی <قاضی میلر> از محبوبیت و احترام بالایی بر ...more
Diane
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, audiobooks
If my dog could read, he would never shut up about how great this book is.

"The Call of the Wild" is the story of Buck, a beautiful and powerful dog who was stolen from his comfy home in California and forced to become a sled dog in Alaska. Buck starts to shed his civilized ways and learns how to survive in the wild. He is noble and fierce, and eventually becomes a leader of the pack.

As I said, my dog would love this book. My 10-year-old nephew would love this book. It's a classic adventure story
Natalie Vellacott
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
"During the four years since his puppyhood he had lived the life of a sated aristocrat; he had a fine pride in himself, was ever a trifle egotistical...but he had saved himself by not becoming a mere pampered house dog. Hunting and kindred outdoor delights had kept down the fat and hardened his muscles; and to him, as to the cold-tubbing races, the love of water had been a tonic and a health preserver."

This story about Buck, the half St Bernard half Scotch shepherd dog, is brilliantly written.
Carmo
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O meu primeiro livro de Jack London, e não podia ter corrido melhor. Caí de chapa em plena natureza selvagem; como se tivesse atravessado em correria pradarias ao calor do sol, como se tivesse sido eu a palmilhar milhas com um trenó às costas levando com a neve e a chuva nas trombas, perdido o fôlego ao cair num rio de águas geladas, remoinhos, rápidos e rochas pontiagudas. Doeu-me tudo!
Doeu-me ainda mais a maldade humana, a arrogância do homem capaz de escravizar e maltratar animais, e emocione
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

Man can be cruel, especially where animals are concerned, and especially in the past before they were enlightened to decency toward our furry friends. Buck actually had a good life for awhile, but soon he was kidnapped and forc
Mahdi Lotfi
جک لندن، نویسنده ی آمریکاییتبار که از آثار معروف او آوای وحش و گرگ دریا است، از معدود نویسندگانی است که از راه داستان نویسی به ثروت فراوان دست یافت. نویسنده ی کتاب آوای وحش حوادثی را که در داستان های خود به تصویر می کشد با چشم خود دیده و با شخصیت های اصلی داستانهایش ارتباط داشته و آنها را می شناخته. در داستان ها و نوشته های جک لندن تأثیر افکار چارلز داروین٬ هربرت اسپنسر٬ کارل مارکس و فریدریش نیچه آشکار است. این آثار که گاهی رنگ شدید ناتورالیستی به خود می گیرند قطعاً در آنها تجزیه و تحلیل های بسی ...more
Jason Koivu
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Call of the Wild, that manly man's outdoors adventure tale! Oh how I loved this story as a young teen. During New England winters I would even imagine braving the Alaskan cold, just me and my dog. My dog was a lab-spaniel mix with stumpy legs and a donut-gut from begging during coffee-breaks at my granddad's car repair shop down the road. She wasn't about to be pulling sledges through snowdrifts. And I was no more athletic. In fact, the two of us together looked something like this...

description
Valerie
First off I should say that London is a great writer. This is the first book I've read of his. His description of the Alaskan terrain is incredible. I have never been to Alaska but when I read this book I could picture it in my head very clearly.

However, that does not take away what I think of the story itself. It wasn't bad. It was interesting, but I could not seem to grasp exactly what London's point was. Was it animal cruelty? Was it the wild should be kept wild? Or is there some hidden soci
Carmine
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indimenticabili
Il bosco chiama

L'amore per la libertà corre nella radura, sfugge nei ruscelli, impregna le nebbie e sussurra tra le fronde delle foreste.
Jack London ristabilisce le gerarchie e ridimensiona l'ossessivo desiderio di controllo dell'uomo: è la natura primordiale a decidere le sorti, ma senza calpestare a priori i combattenti sul terreno di battaglia.
"Il richiamo della foresta" è un intenso inno alla libertà, un'opera che riporta coi piedi per terra e insegna a porci in maniera paritaria con tutti
Brenda
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From belonging to Judge Miller in the Santa Clara Valley to his life on the frozen landscapes of Alaska, Buck, part St Bernard, part Shepherd went through a myriad of owners and situations as he learned the cunning of his species and the wiles he needed to be the best. He learned hate, but he also learned a deep love, and found an indomitable spirit which kept him alive when things were at their worst.

The Call of the Wild is a brilliant book, and definitely worth reading. I was caught up in the
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“He was beaten (he knew that); but he was not broken. He saw, once for all, that he stood no chance against a man with a club. He had learned the lesson, and in all his after life he never forgot it. That club was a revelation. It was his introduction to the reign of primitive law, and he met the introduction halfway. The facts of life took on a fiercer aspect; and while he faced that aspect uncowed, he faced it with all the latent cunning of his nature aroused.” Jack London, The Call of the Wil ...more
Ryan
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
This is an old story (as stories go) about a domestic dog kidnapped from California and shipped to the Yukon to spend the rest of his days starving, freezing and dragging a sled. The prose is fancy, but in a good way – the protagonist’s humanity and heroism are shown with full force, and the setting is both beautiful and terrible. The ending is perfect.

The Bad:
My only criticism is that this wasn’t about a cat.

'Friends' character the protagonist is most like:
Buck is a primal force of nat
Fulya İçöz
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack London'ı çocukluğumda dahi okumadım. O yüzden benim için geç kalınmış bir yazar diyebilirim."Vahşetin Çağrısı" daha önce izlediğim "Beyaz Tanrı" filminin temel hikayesi olabilir diye düşünüyorum şu anda. İnsanın vahşiliği ve acımasızlığı ile özüne dönen bir köpek Buck. Yediği sopalar, kamçılar, gördüğü işkenceler Buck'ın vahşi doğanın çağrısına eninde sonunda kulak vermesi adeta bir Rambo köpek öyküsü. London'ın doğayı ve köpekleri tasvirine bayıldım. Kendi hayatından kesitler taşıdığını dü ...more
Connor
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is definitely not what I was expecting, but it was so good. Definitely not the happiest of books, but it's really well written, and it's exactly how I picture my father's dog reacting to those situations.
Lou
A poignant and triumphant tale of a great creature in the wild. He feels the bitterness and savagery of men and his pack, there has been a dividing line in his relations with humans by no fault but their own due to their constant usage of this canine Buck in work, in pulling in the snow, they have not shown any kindness, but there is hope he will soon be blessed with some.
One man shows a kindness that helps Buck, who has had a life of toil and enduring of hardships, its a warming to the heart to
Writing Contest in Dawaon City 1 2 Jul 01, 2018 01:51PM
Appropriate for what age 1 8 Apr 02, 2018 12:57PM
Around the Year i...: The Call of the Wild, by Jack London 9 73 Dec 25, 2017 10:24AM
UCAS English 10 H...: August Reading Assignment 3 28 Nov 15, 2017 06:24PM
UCAS English 10 H...: September Reading Assignment 1 7 Oct 14, 2017 11:16AM
  • King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
  • Irish Red
  • The American Boy's Handy Book
  • White Fang
  • Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3)
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Old Wives' Tale
  • Kim
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • The Rough Riders
  • The Prairie (Leatherstocking Tales, #5)
  • Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond
  • Zuleika Dobson
  • Sybil, or the Two Nations
  • Old Yeller
  • The Song of Hiawatha
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 2nd Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #4-6)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.
London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
“He was mastered by the sheer surging of life, the tidal wave of being, the perfect joy of each separate muscle, joint, and sinew in that it was everything that was not death, that it was aglow and rampant, expressing itself in movement, flying exultantly under the stars.” 1163 likes
“There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive.
This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame; it comes to the soldier, war-mad in a stricken field and refusing quarter; and it came to Buck, leading the pack, sounding the old wolf-cry, straining after the food that was alive and that fled swiftly before him through the moonlight.”
317 likes