Goodreads Developers discussion

goodreads public group display in WordPress

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) goodreads has an incredible API and yet there is very little WordPress support for goodreads. Which is shocking since WP is the dominant platform where this integration would most likely thrive. There is one or two WP plugins that have ceased to be supported and both do not deal with public GROUPS only individual shelves...

We have an education site and would like to be able to simply SHOW the books listed in the group bookshelf, very similar to your output here (in the group bookshelf page) on our site. This would enable people to find out what is in the GROUP on our site and become active particpants in the goodreads site as well.

This would not be displayed in a "widget" in a sidebar, but rather in a page in WordPress. We are currently looking for a book review site like yours to provide this functionality...

WordPress is PHP based and even the API page here doesn't have any examples for this (coming soon...) is listed.

Surely this has to be easy to do... a simple embed of the group bookshelf (but beyond my abilities). Currently looking at iframing the whole group (which is nothing but a stop-gap measure)...

This is the proposed bookshelf:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Polite Bump.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Can you embed script tags there?

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Yes.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) I'll see if we can whip something up for you.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) That would be fantastic... we just launched our MPLN site today you can see it here at musicpln.org if you login and go to sidebar and choose the [+:] to open it up you can see where the goodreads holder is until we get it up and running...

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Hey, just checking back in. Thanks.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Checking in again... polite bump.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Any word?

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Michael, Do you have any thoughts on a timeline for this or Yay or nay?

message 11: by Curtis (new)

Curtis Schofield (robot) | 39 comments it's in our ticket queue at the top of the stack.

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Wonderful. Thanks.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 36 comments The widget code can be pasted anywhere, not just in a sidebar. As a work-around, could you tag all the books in your group with a tag like "ingroupshelf" and then select that tag/shelf in the widget configuration menu? Then you can just copy/paste the widget to the page you want the group shelf to appear.

message 14: by Curtis (new)

Curtis Schofield (robot) | 39 comments we actually have something already - in the next release the link will be more prominent - in the list of navigation elements on the group page (on the right)

for now you can goto you group page - click edit membership and you will see a widget that you can use to display membership as well as a group bookshelf

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Pisano (pisanojm) Curtis,

Thanks, I did not see this at all. I think I can make this work, for now. It would be awesome to see this update itself (i.e. as books are read the js changes without having to go back to goodreads to re-generate it. ). Thanks.