What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

House of Stairs
This topic is about House of Stairs
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. "eerie" type of book - stairs in title, maybe under stairs? [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leslie | 6 comments I'm looking for a book I read in the early 80's, and I cannot remember the title, but I swear it was something along the lines of "the people under the stairs" or "the people who live under the stairs".

It was a scary/eerie book and I have searched and searched for it. I'd love to read it again because I remember loving it when I read it.

Ring any bells for anyone? Sorry, but that's all the info I can remember (other than the cover art was a spiral staircase, I think, with people under it?) No idea on the author either.

thanks!

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 89 comments There was a movie by Wes Craven in the early 90s called "The People Under the Stairs".

Leslie | 6 comments Book! :)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Aw, don't leave us in suspense! ;) Which one? (Assuming it was one of the ones I posted. I can't tell if you mean it was one of those, or if you're saying to Mawgojzeta that no, it was definitely a book.)

I checked Wikipedia and IMDB and there's no indication that the Wes Craven film was based on a book.

Leslie | 6 comments Thanks Nikki! (was replying to first post, and I checked out imdb too, a long time ago)

I'd have to have more info and/or read it, but I'm guessing (hoping!) it's the first one, since it was published in '84 (the last one's date is 91).

I really hope that's it!! Thanks again and will let you know for sure!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments House of Stairs was first published in 1974, so don't count it out if the first one falls through. Good luck! :)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Leslie, Please come back and let us know, and then the book can be shelved here. Not to mention satisfying our curiosity.

And, yes, I read House of Stairs in 1975, so it is old enough to be your book.

Leslie | 6 comments oh my gosh, after reading the description, I think House of Stairs is IT!!! I can't believe it! I've been racking my brain for years trying to remember it!

And my local library has it!! (can you tell I'm happy???)

I'll be sure to let you all know, once I re-read it (will try to do so asap).

thank you so much!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Thanks, Leslie. Can't wait to hear back from you. Yes, it was an "eerie" type book.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Leslie, Should this thread be moved to the POSSIBLY SOLVED folder?

Leslie | 6 comments Sounds good! Thanks again!! (I'm 99% sure it could even be moved to the Solved folder!)

I'm soooo happy!!!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Leslie, I'll move it to POSSIBLY SOLVED. And then, when you come back and confirm, it can be moved to solved and shelved on our bookshelf.

It is so exciting to find a long lost book!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I belong to another book-seeking group off Goodreads, and House of Stairs is one of the most frequently sought books. Seems like a lot of people "lose" this book and then desperately want to find it — I've never read it myself but maybe I should. :)

Leslie | 6 comments That's wild -- funny I'm not the only one! I kinda like science fiction books (love Ray Bradbury), but it will be interesting to re-read this one to see if I liked it as much as I did 20 years ago!

Thanks again to you both! Nikki, wanted to ask you how you found it? (i.e. how you did the search) It just made my day you both were able to help!

message 16: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma (mnium) | 27 comments I was just looking for it too and had created another topic! Mallie solved it right away!

I think the problem could be that it's not such a great title at least not for this book...it doesn't capture what I remembered about the book.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lobstergirl | 39882 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Sounds good! Thanks again!! (I'm 99% sure it could even be moved to the Solved folder!)

I'm soooo happy!!!"

Moving to Solved.