Unputdownables Book Club discussion

What Are You Reading? > Outlander

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wallace (new)

Wallace | 303 comments Mod
I stayed up way too late reading this book last night. I couldn't stop. I feel like it is more historical fiction than romance, but maybe that's because I haven't gotten to the ultra "romantic" parts yet?

message 2: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) What is Outlander about? I've heard people mention it before.

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I definitely think Outlander is more historical fiction than romance, although I think Jamie and Claire's relationship as a whole is very romantic. They are probably my favorite couple in literature. I'm so glad you are liking the book!

Nadia - here is a link to the book, which is the first in a series:

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Outlander

message 4: by Wallace (new)

Yes, definitely romantic. I think anyone who is not at the very bginning of a relationship (where everything is super exciting, etc. will love the way this book makes them feel. I literally feel myself almost squealing at certain parts (I promise, I refrain) and smiling alot. It's so sweet.

message 5: by Wallace (new)

Spoiler alert....

Ok, I've gotten to a part I have a major problem with. Beating her? Within an inch of her life? I literally had tears in my eyes because I felt so bad for her. She had a choice of being captured by Randall if she ran, or beaten by this person she had began to trust. And then we are just supposed to get over it? Which, apparently I have because I'm still reading it -- but I was really put off by that. Was anyone else? Enlighten me if I'm missing something, please.

I have kept reading and am loving everything about the story except for that part. I'm more than half-way through the book now (on pg 478 out of 850). Am taking this afternoon to read -- I've only been reading this at night before bed, so that's why it's taken so long to get this far.

message 6: by Wallace (new)

Finished just now! Will write the review soon. The second book is on order, so I will have to wait to start it. But now I know what everyone is talking about when they say they love Claire and Jamie. :)

message 7: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I guess I don't remember that part about Claire being beaten. Who was beating her, and why?

message 8: by Wallace (new)

Jamie, because she got kidnapped by the redcoats and taken to Captain Randall. She disobeyed him by not staying in the place he told her to.

message 9: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments Ok, yeah, that is ringing a bell. He spanked her, right? Not a beating like puching and kicking her? I think I was bothered by it, but not terribly so. I guess I put it into perspective that it was in the 1700's when that was more acceptable, and also that he was really trying to get her to understand that not listening to him could get her killed. Not that that makes it ok, but I guess I could kind of see where he was coming from.

message 10: by Wallace (new)

yeah, he spanked her. Which I thought was weird, but then they kept saying he beat her within an inch of her life and I thought that was just strange and against his character. But yes, I had to keep remembering that they were in a time when that wasn't considered a big deal.

I miss them now. I keep thinking, "Oh I need to get back to Outlander" and then I remember it's over. :(

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I miss them too! I'm waiting to get the 6th and most recent one An Echo in the Bonefrom PBS.

message 12: by Wallace (new)

Has she said how many she is going to do?

I got Outlander from PBS, but was surprised when I went back to get Dragonfly in Amber -- it wasn't available. I figure these books probably come up pretty quick, but I went ahead and ordered it from the bookstore anyway because they were having a sale.

Have you seen The Outlandish Companion? I started flipping through it at my library, but had to stop because I could tell it wasn't meant to be read until you are at a certain part of the series (too many spoilers). I want to revisit it when I get a few more books under my belt.

message 13: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I've heard of it but not looked at it. She writes a spin-off series about Lord John, too. (Not sure if he's introduced in Outlander, or in a later book). The first one is Lord John and the Private Matter. There are a few in the series, but I've only read the first one. Not nearly as good as the Outlander series, but good for a little extra insight into that time frame.

message 14: by Wallace (new)

No, not introduced in Outlander. Maybe the next one? I've seen those books. Are Jamie and Claire featured at all?

message 15: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments Not really. There was a couple of references to Jamie, but he does not show up as a character in the book.

message 16: by Wallace (new)

Gotcha. Well the bookstore called to let me know that Dragonfly in Amber has come in for me. So that's exciting. :)