Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Bex's Mad Attempt 50 books for '10 (Attempt #1 = 30/50)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bex (last edited Dec 31, 2010 08:13PM) (new)

Bex (min_deore) | 54 comments I'm mad to even try this year. I should wait 'til next, but I am dying to see how far I can get. So I have proposed this challenge for myself. Impressed by just this last months progress with reading, I started thinking this might be possible. Since just 6/4 I've read 9 books, and the last was no small feat. Add that to the very few I'd read earlier this year I, by this July, have only read 14. However, if I continue reading at this speed, I could reach this goal and then some by the end of the year. I'm also logging page count, as the numbers I've put away has fascinated me this past month.

1. He's Just Not That Into You (The Newly Expanded Edition) The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys by Greg Behrendt (p. 208)
2. Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) by Tamora Pierce (p. 384)
3. Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2) by Tamora Pierce (p. 368)
4. Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3) by Tamora Pierce (p. 384)
5. The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4) by Tamora Pierce (p. 368)
6. Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld (p. 440)
7. Coraline by Neil Gaiman (p. 162)
8. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (p. 307)
9. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan (p. 375)
10. The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan (p. 279)
11. The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan (p. 312)
12. The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan (p. 361)
13. The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan (p. 381)
14. The Pillars of the Earth (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) by Ken Follett (p. 976)

14 Books down and 5,305 pages read so far. 36 books to go.
May the force be with me.

message 2: by Bex (last edited Dec 31, 2010 08:14PM) (new)

Bex (min_deore) | 54 comments Here's 3 more for the list.

15. The Secret (Highlands' Lairds, #1) by Julie Garwood (p. 379)
16. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins (p. 374)
17. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins (p. 391)

Its been a slow few weeks for reading. I've been increasingly busy and Pillars made it very difficult for another book to follow. Pages read 6,449. 17 down, 33 to go.

message 3: by Bex (last edited Dec 31, 2010 08:28PM) (new)

Bex (min_deore) | 54 comments I'm working on a plot to renew my obsessive reading binge that I had midsummer when I began this thread. I'm convinced I can still do this even though I'm not even half way yet. But I figure if dragons can be beaten then so can a pile of books.

18. Over Sea, Under Stone (Dark Is Rising, #1) by Susan Cooper (p. 196)
19. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins (p. 390)
20. The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2) by Susan Cooper (p. 244)

Finishing up book 20 tonight, then tomorrow I'll pick up book 3 in the Dark is Rising sequence. So by tonight the pages read will be 7,279 and the book count 20/50. I've been lagging behind, but I can feel the motivation returning.

message 4: by Bex (last edited Dec 31, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

Bex (min_deore) | 54 comments I suppose me making this goal is really touch and go at this point. It depends on picking books that I know I will devour quickly and hopefully being surprised by those that are just unexpectedly that good like #24 which I just couldn't walk away from and read in one sitting.

21. Greenwitch (Dark Is Rising, # 3) by Susan Cooper (p. 147)
22. The Grey King (The Dark is Rising, #4) by Susan Cooper (p. 165)
23. Silver On The Tree (The Dark is Rising, #5) by Susan Cooper (p. 288)
24. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (p. 213)
25. It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken The Smart Girl's Break-Up Buddy by Greg Behrendt (p. 276)

To date that is 8,368 pages read and 25/50 books. Half way mark! If I do not finish this year. I have decided to start fresh for 2011 with a new list. I could continue on since I started late this year, but then I would end up with the same debate all over again. Right now I'm just testing myself to see how far I can get, so if I don't finish its no big deal. But with 2 1/2 months left, I'm still gonna try.

message 5: by Bex (last edited Dec 31, 2010 08:32PM) (new)

Bex (min_deore) | 54 comments Just an update. With a month left, I wont be finishing this year. However I continue on to see how far I can get. I've tackled some big ones recently, and now I'm onto some smaller reads. I just got in the rest of the Protector of the Small Quartet, now that I look back I see that I started this year with Tamora Pierce and I think I shall end it with her as well.

26. Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini (p. 503)
27. Eldest (Inheritance, #2) by Christopher Paolini (p. 681)
28. Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) by Julie Garwood (p. 546)
29. Brisingr (Inheritance, #3) by Christopher Paolini (p. 763)

These additions make for 10,861 pages read and 29/50 books.

message 6: by Bex (last edited Dec 31, 2010 08:33PM) (new)

Bex (min_deore) | 54 comments So I've been lazy over the last month and have really only completed a single book since my last post. I am in the middle of another but I have my doubts about it being finished tonight. I'll be staying in and reading through the new year, but I believe it will be the official first book of 2011.

30. Behemoth (Leviathan, #2) by Scott Westerfeld (p. 485)

I shall end this year and my first attempt at 50 Books A Year, which only officially started in July, with 30/50 books read and 11,346 pages turned. It was a lovely attempt, with many fabulous books, characters and adventures to look back on. I will go into the new year with a new approach, twice as long to accomplish this goal and expect 50 books to be a breeze.