Start by marking “Protector of the Small (Protector of the Small, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
Protector of the Small (Protector of the Small, #1-4)

Protector of the Small

(Protector of the Small #1-4)

Ten-year-old Keladry of Mindalen, daughter of nobles, serves as a page but must prove herself to the males around her if she is ever to fulfill her dream of becoming a knight.

Omnibus edition, collecting First Test, Page, Squire, and Lady Knight.
Published November 2004 by SFBC

To ask other readers questions about Protector of the Small, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protector of the Small

Mallori
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite of Tamora Pierce's Tortall series, the one I re-read when I want a book that I know will make me happy. I really love Keladry and her friends. I love that, and it's said in the book, while Alanna from the Lioness series of books had magic and the hand of the goddess on her, Keladry is just a determined girl who wants to right injustices.

This series is exciting and engaging, with suspense and victories that the reader can rejoice in. When I was reading this series, I hated to
Debbie Zapata
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: saturdaymx
Another omnibus adventure in the kingdom of Tortall, this one follows young Keladry of Mindelan as she becomes the first girl to openly enroll as a page, in hopes of becoming the newest Lady Knight like the famous Alanna The Lioness.

How would Kel handle the rough and tumble world she was about to enter? Would the training master even allow her to stay? Or was he trying extra hard to get her to drop out? And the other pages? How would she deal with their bullying? Would she be able to prove that
Holly Echterling
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-fantasy
I do not usually write reviews, but I felt this was important.

Some forums have condemned the morality of the characters in this book, but I could not disagree more. Ms. Pierce does not shy away from issues that face many young adults nor does she presume to make decisions for her readers. Her message comes through Kel's mother during a turning point in the story: No matter what you decide, you should approach the issue with personal responsibility. In her time of confusion, Kel acts with care an
Faraday Adams
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Originally published on everydayreads.wordpress.com

~

I first stumbled across Kel's story when I was just a shy, awkward eleven year old girl lacking in both a spine and a voice - though not in curiosity. It was 2010, and my local library had just ordered copies of the Protector of the Small Quartet and brazenly laid the glossy-covered books out on display. As a sheltered child kept strictly unaware of the Feminist Agenda, the closest I had ever come to reading about a strong female character were
Connor
Finishing a re-read of these books always makes my heart swell three sizes.
Raisa Alexis
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
"I've been shot at. I can bear it. I'm crying because my friend is unhappy and everything is changing."

"Is that what you're supposed to do?" Tobe asked. "Cry for your friends, though they ain't dead? Cry when things change?"

"If the changes are hard ones," Kel replied. "If they take away the things you knew were good."

I haven't read much of Tamora Pierce's works before, only a book with Daine (the name I cannot remember at the moment) for a school project when I was in elementary school. With my
katayoun Masoodi
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, ya
perfet series, most enjoyable and though i read the four books seperately, i did read them one after another and i think this bundle is the best way to enjoy the series, i really did want to read them all together.
Ying
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though junior or perhaps young adult fiction and a series that I first read 10+ years ago, this re-read has been almost as enjoyable as the first read. It’s not the plot that draws you in, though that’s also quite engaging, but the moments that make up Kel’s life as she goes through her journey in becoming a female warrior in very male-dominant world. Amazing.
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kel is an amazing heroine - I loved reading about her tenacity and drive to become a knight and stand up for those who need help. I actually didn't realize until I finished the book that this is set in a world Tamora Pierce had already established in previous works. You definitely don't need any background information before you dive right into this set of books; everything is nicely explained and I didn't feel lost at all. If you're not ready to commit to all 800 pages of this series, at least ...more
Saralyn
Feb 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I wasn't quite sure how to rate these books. They were fun stories, well-written. But then in the third book, the mother starts telling her daughter it's okay to sleep around if she wants to. Um. Not to say that every book I read is perfectly moral, but this is a book for young adults (young teens, really) and is this really the moral we want them to pick up from books? And it wasn't like it was stuck in the book in a subtle way. It was a blatant message and that really bothered me. But Kel is a ...more
Jane Lindskold
I think I’ve read every novel she’s written, and while some are more to my taste than others, she’s a great writer.
Nick Fagerlund
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
It turns out that Ruth and I both grew up with Tamora Pierce novels! But since she's a bit younger than me, she had a wider selection at that age when they're the best thing ever. So I read and loved the original Lioness quartet and The Immortals, but by the time this series came out, I was in high school and it was Very Important to not be reading books about 11-year-olds. You know the drill.

Anyway, I liked these a lot as an adult, and if I'd had them as a preteen I'd have been fucking apeshit
Molly Turner
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tamora Pierce is great. These books tell the story of Kel, the first female knight since Lady Alanna, but her path isn't easy. The characters are vividly drawn and imagined. The conflicts and fights are exciting and scary. Kel is easy to root for and an incredibly dynamic character. You don't have to have read the other series, but if you have, you'll enjoy seeing old characters pop up.
Diane
Like Tamora Pierce's other heroines, Keladry grows up over the course of these excellent books. Each is longer — and deeper — than the one before. I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure at what age the series should be recommended to a child (since now that it's complete, it might be read in one fell swoop), given the mature themes of both war and romance being addressed by the end. However, I do not hesitate to say that Ms. Pierce writes great, realistic role models.

I just acquired the first two as
Corinne
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: yr-2017
Reading these all together makes it a really big book. (close to 800 pages) And for a such a big book it doesn't have enough to offer, IMO. *yawn* I guess it's just not my interest and I am outside the target age group. I started liking T.P. because of Terrier: Beka Cooper #1 and I guess I assumed I would like all here work but it's proving not to be so.

Lisa
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Very good; we saw different parts of the page/squire training program than we did with Alanna. As the only acknowledged girl in over 100 years, Keladry has a lot to overcome and a lot to prove. She is smart, imaginative and determined, and she gains allies who help her achieve her goals.
Tami Zirkle
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I have always enjoyed books about knights in shining armor and this is best of all because the knight is a female character. I the relationship with the animals is a great addition to the story and brings out Kel's character more. One of the best books I have ever read.
Midnight Blue
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
As with all the other Tortall series, I simply could not set this down (and even if I did, my mind was still occupied with the story). Go read it, if you want exciting plot, interesting characters and enough suspense to keep you reading until you reach the end :)
Janet Gruver
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite of all Tamora's Tortallan series. I have probably read it about 10 times all the way through. Tamora is an excellent Author. And her works are priceless. I attribute my love of reading primarily to Tamora.
Zach
Great series

This is the second time reading this series and it's just as fun and exciting as the first time. Wonderful series.
Sam
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series. Kel is such an excellent character for young girls and preteens to read about. My favourite book has to be Squire, but really they're all delightful.
Evangeline
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kat Mayerovitch
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This is a series that I can come back to again and again. The writing is stronger than in the Lioness Quartet, and the storyline more compelling than The Immortals. Only the Trickster books surpass it in quality. Even so, I return to Kel more often than to Aly; beginning as they do with a younger, less complicated character, they're simply an easier read, well-suited to days when I just want to wrap myself in a favorite fantasy world without distraction.

This isn't to say that Kel isn't a well-r
Vidhi
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it

Now, this series was written pre-Harry Potter era, which means it targets only young adults, has a small universe, the volumes are smaller and don't end on cliff-hangers.

Having said, it is one of the most refreshing reads I have come across in a long time. Despite having a medieval fantasy background, it is a coming of age story of young girl Kelandry Mindelan. Our protagonist Kel is born in a noble family and refuses to follow the time tested career path of being a noble wife. She, instead, dre
Karen
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, high-mg, ya
Enjoyed this series immensely, after having read the Wild Magic quartet. Tamora Pierce is quickly becoming one of our favorite authors for audobook entertainment.

This series follows Kel, who wishes to become a knight and has to put up with more difficulties in her path toward knighthood than she expected. She bears it all with a grace and without much "why me?" which I think presents an excellent model for young people who may face analogous unfair situations in life be it from bullying or othe
Danielle Dieterich
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series genuinely influenced my life. I read this when I was close to Kel's age at the start of First Test (I think I was 11 at the time) and I have loved her and this series ever since. The story telling in this is compelling, the characters unique and the growth throughout the series is incredible. This story tackles everything from being a woman in a male dominated field (in this case the battle field), bullying, violence against women and economic divides, and does it in a way that is in ...more
Tamar
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite of all Pierce's series. I first started reading it when I was about 11, and have reread it over and over for the last 16 years. Kel's sense of honour, duty, fairness, and loyalty have hugely influenced my own moral compass. Kel is kind, compassionate but best of all, she's strong. She stands up for herself when it's practical, but she believes that violence should only ever be employed to help those who can't protect themselves.

Although Alanna the Lioness was the first seri
Liana
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Awesomeness in four parts. Though if there's anything that doesn't appeal to me about Ms Pierce's writing (and there isn't much), it's how she handles romance. I know it's more realistic, particularly pertaining to the time period, but still. Probably the only romance I enjoyed out of all her Tortall series was the one in the Immortals series. But that's another review, and we're talking about Kel here.

I LOVE Kel. She is probably one of my favourite heroines of all time. She isn't beautiful, but
Margaret Rose
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Heroes--- or in the authors case, she-roes come in all shapes and sizes and they all have their strengths and gifts. In this book, Keladry enters the world of knighthood... a place that is normally all male. But! She has unique allies... animals... that can 'talk'.

The Cheshire cat of Wonderland can speak-- so can Puss 'n Boots-- and a host of other famous animal characters throughtout bookdom. But in this series...animals stay animals-- and yet they can speak without words.

Honestly, it's hard t
Karina
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This would be a four-star but I knocked one off for some questionable morals. I really enjoyed the story and kept reading about Kel. She captured my thoughts. Not that I ever wanted to be a knight or anything like it and getting everything associated with it - the fighting , competition with boys, war. But it was her sense of chivalry, idealism, that she would see injustice ad do something about it, and take chage of and protect those that are weak, and teach them to defend themselves too.

The l
First Test 1 10 Oct 01, 2008 03:40PM
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel)
  • Tamora Pierce: " The Immortals " (Genre Fiction Sightlines)
  • The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)
  • The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Queen's Own (Valdemar: Arrows of the Queen #1-3)
  • Tales From Earthsea & The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #5-6)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Warriors of Alavna (Warriors, #1)
  • The Glasswrights' Master (Glasswright, #5)
  • The Crow (The Books of Pellinor, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 3 (Chrestomanci #5-6)
  • Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • The Hermit Thrush Sings
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • The Books of Bayern Box Set, Books 1-3
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

Protector of the Small (4 books)
  • First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)