Challenge: 50 Books discussion

What’s your criteria for getting for getting rid a book?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bakari (new)

Bakari I’m at the point again of getting rid of books in my office, closet and bedroom, but I always do so with trepidation. I was wondering if others have some sort of criteria for getting rid of books.

My current criteria includes:
1. Technical and reference books that are out of date or have been updated
2. Non-fiction, issue oriented books written before 2005
3. Books I’ve read, didn’t like and will never read again

I’ll try to hold on to novels and some history book as much as possible, because I think they are timeless. I also tend hold on to books by authors I like, such bell hooks, but sadly I won’t get around to re-reading their work.

Other criteria?

message 2: by Rheanna (new)

Rheanna Christine (rhechristine) | 6 comments i keep all history, biography, or text book type books. I usually keep all my true-crime type books as well unless I just really didn't like how it was written. I keep all non-fiction books I could see myself reading again or want to keep for my kids. Anything that is of sentimental value or is timeless (in the non-fiction department), I also keep.

message 3: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) I keep all the books that I love and I know I'll be rereading. But for those books that just didn't cut it for me I donate to the library.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 48 comments For the longest time, I couldn't even dream of getting rid of a book. But now, I'm willing to get rid of books I know I probably won't ever read again. I'm planning on getting rid of at least 50 of my books (as soon as I get around to reading them). Most are the dime-a-dozen thriller novels, and stuff like Dean Koontz.

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments I pass all of my books on to my sister, who then passes them on etc - but the ones I love I keep/ask to be returned - I tended to keep everything but I just don't have the room!

message 6: by Rosabelle (new)

Rosabelle Purnama | 166 comments Hmm i rarely get rid of books in my collection, but I'm at that stage where I need to really clean the overflowing bookshelf to make space for the newer purchases which is just lying on the floor at the moment :)

My criteria would be to get rid of books that i've read but didn't like. I have a bunch of historical romances from 10 years ago because I got them used and quite cheap, so they would be the first ones to go. But other than that, I will get rid of books by authors that i don't like and then maybe some non-fiction. because i don't think I'll re-read them for the second time

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments For years I didn't get rid of any books--I just kept buying new bookshelves. But then I got more wise. I do some purging a couple times a year, but now I basically decide as I read a book whether I'll be donating it the moment I'm done.

Rose

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 16 comments I get rid of books that I know I will never read again (boring, stupid, badly written, etc.) Some I get rid of after a second or third reading. I just don't have room to keep them all.

message 9: by Bishop (new)

Bishop (a_bishop) | 152 comments That's easy, I don't get rid of any of them. They may deserve shelf space, but I can always get more boxes!

message 10: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ix10) | 4 comments Gosh, textbooks depend on how useful they were, but beyond that, I never get rid of books. Even if I'm not planning on rereading a book very soon, it has been a lifelong dream of mine to someday own a library as large as the one portrayed in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, so every little bit counts.

message 11: by Rosabelle (new)

Rosabelle Purnama | 166 comments I just got rid of a few of my historical romance books from 10 years ago, which I bought used, so it's looks and smells really bad.. ha ha.. and I'm not reading historical romance anymore.. I still have a few that I'm going to give away to the library in my office.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stie (michellestie-buckles) | 192 comments I'll admit I have a hoarding problem when it comes to books. It's difficult to turn loose of one once it comes into the house. I agree with Donna--if a book turns out to be so boring I can't finish it, it goes in the donation pile. Usually once a year I'll purge any cheapy paperbacks that I inhaled in a sitting or two. I tend to keep most literary fiction because I'll end up reading it again.

message 13: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (plantwoman) | 160 comments If I've read it and know that I will never read it again or if my tastes have changed and the subject matter no longer interests me, then it goes in a box to be donated to the library. I've just weeded my personal library and took four boxes of books to my public library - after my two daughters had gone through them and picked out what they wanted.

message 14: by Brigette (new)

Brigette (texasbee) Books I didn't like or can't see myself re-reading go. Occasionally I go through and purge my library shelves, although that is a very hard thing for me to do!

One thing I like to do is pass books along via BookCrossing.com, which makes it a little easier / more fun to let them go - I can track their travels across the country!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Unfortunately, I am reluctant to get rid of any books that I haven't read yet, even if I got part of the way through them and didn't really like them. I will sell or give away books that I have read, didn't especially like and don't plan to ever read again. I even hang on to old textbooks.

For that reason, books tend to pile up in my house. I am most reluctant to get rid of books that were signed by their authors, even if I didn't think much of the books.

Other books that are hard for me to throw out are nonfiction books that might be of some use in the future (but seldom are) and that I probably wouldn't be able to find at the library.

One good thing is that I rarely buy new books anymore. I usually request new books from the library, even if they are popular and there is a long waiting list. Sometimes I will treat myself to a new book if it is a special occasion or I have a gift card.

One of the neighbors who lives on my street is constantly buying paperbacks and has given me a lot of mystery books and thrillers. Unfortunately, his tastes are different from mine. I don't have as much free time to read as he does, so the books are piling up.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 1 comments I used to keep every single book -- like one would a memento. One day I asked myself "Why?" After much pondering, my new system is that I keep only the non-fiction which is still helpful and the fiction that I want to share with other readers.

message 17: by Mary (last edited Sep 15, 2010 06:39AM) (new)

Mary | 767 comments I used to keep every book unless I truly didn't like it. I also used to finish every book I started--Ugh! No more, if I don't like it, I'll check online reviews to see if I should continue and if not, I'll stop. The ones that I didn't like would be donated to the library, but that was back in the day. Now, I trade them all on Bookmooch and Goodreads. Operation Paperback is also a great way to donate books to troops, but I haven't actually sent them out yet. I NEVER get rid of a book if I haven't at least given it a try.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I trade a lot of my books on BookMooch and ReaditSwapit and since joining these websites I've become a lot more ruthless about keeping books. Unless I love a book and a) I'm going to read it again or b) I think it's special enough to keep on display, I'll get rid of it. I have five shelves of "Keeper" books in my room, a box in my attic and a box under my bed. I really don't have space for any more! To be honest, if I had a whole house to myself, rather than one room in my parents' house I would keep more books but for now I have to really think about what books I want to keep because of the lack of space.

message 19: by LilSteps (new)

LilSteps (ratliner) | 34 comments I've long had a dream of having a room in my house dedicated solely to my books. You know, a book lined wall to wall, ceiling to floor with shelves and shelves of books. A room that has that amazing smell of books where you can just sit and go mmmmm. I want to have this room for my kids, too (Whenever I have them) so they can just pick up a book whenever they want and be able to read it.

For this reason I find it very hard to get rid of a book. I'm a big believer in libraries: I'll give an author a first read chance from the library; if I like them, I'll go out and buy that book and another one, thus supporting the author and my own book habit. If I own it, I like it. It's not going anywhere.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma | 298 comments These are my thoughts, exactly!!! I always tell people how I will never get rid of a single book and they seem gobsmacked. But then I try and explain that one day I will have a room dedicated soley to books, so I need to start collecting now! They still don't really understand, but I am consistently adding to my collection by taking a look at the free withdrawn books from the library. Once I remove the plastic covers that they put on them, they look quite pretty. Never will I give away a book!

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny LilSteps wrote: "I've long had a dream of having a room in my house dedicated solely to my books. You know, a book lined wall to wall, ceiling to floor with shelves and shelves of books. A room that has that amazin..."

ditto.

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1 comments i was the person who always held on to books thinking to reread them another time, especially if it was a hardcover. a few months back i decided to corral all my fiction books and give them to a used book store for credit. that end up giving me over $30 worth of credit which now I get used books or library books (save a boatload of cash). but the used books i buy thru credit end up going in my recycle bin when i'm done to be made into something else.