Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > I just made...> Bun talks history of corn

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17345 comments Mod
There are a ton of highly specific food threads, but not so many where I feel like it is appropriate to brag about my latest smoothie.

The lemon basil smoothie got me feeling adventurous with my regular banana-berry-yogurt-juice-protein powder (maybe spinach too) recipe so I decided to mix it up today. I just had, and loved:

2 bananas
1/4 cup pecans
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/8 cup chocolate syrup
1 cup milk

as a smoothie and it was the best thing in the world.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sounds very good.

I just made macaroni salad with carrots, red bell pepper, and celery chopped fine. Lots of mayo. Can't wait to eat some.

message 3: by Heidi (last edited Jul 03, 2010 10:46PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My neighbor and I cooked dinner... we've been working on it since yesterday (he's done most of it... I contribute ideas, though, and some ingredients... and mostly I just watch and learn).

His cousin and aunt came over with their dogs and we all had a big ole puppy fest while watching Iron Chef. He started smoking a pork shoulder roast yesterday and smoked it for 24 hours. OH my heavens. He used fallen hickory branches to add to the smoker.

He also had a slaw that had been marinating since yesterday - green and red cabbage with celery seed, fresh peaches, apples, mayo, sherry vinegar, apple cider vinegar...

And I helped make the bbq sauce - a reduction of blackberries, onions, bell pepper, a garlic clove, some bbq seasoning, my blueberry beer (which had a beautiful purple color to it), apple cider vinegar, ketchup, sherry vinegar, cayenne, and some fresh ground black pepper... cooked that down, let it cool, blended it with cattleman's, and heated on a low heat.

Also, we had smoked corn on the cob.

And for dessert - carrot cake with homemade whipped cream and blackberries.

EVERYTHING was locally grown, some of it in his mom's garden. :)

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "I made black beans and rice with five kinds of peppers, and tequila marinated sirloin. It was pretty good but I wasn't entirely happy with th..."

Holy hell, Bun, that sounds waaaay delicious!

Our dinner last night was so fabulous. Tonight - it's honey nut cheerios.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments What kind of salad will it be, Bun? I still wish I had your leftovers from last night because I bet your leftovers would be awesome blossom.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "It will be a green salad with pickled yellow beets. I would totally trade you leftovers for leftovers because your last nights dinner sounded amazing!"

We ate it all. :)

Your salad sounds fabu, Bun! Neighbor acquainted me with Iron Chef last night. We watched a couple of episodes while preparing the food. I'm pretty sure he gets alot of his inspiration/creativity from that.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok, so I'm working my way through 47 tons of greens from the CSA. Today's salad:

5 leaves butter lettuce,
3 leaves red leaf
couple dabs of tuna salad
sliced red pepper
Caesar flavored croutons
oil and balsamic

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would eat that.

message 9: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) pineapple mango salsa, rosemary roasted potatoes, and smoked baby back ribs. my house smells so good right now! :)

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I am SOOO hongry right now - everything posted here is making my belly sing! I had a fabulous blueberry/mochi original yogurt at Red Mango this afternoon for lunch. I stayed too busy to enjoy it when it was fresh. It melted. :( I did drink it, though.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I cooked baby back ribs, baked potatoes, and corn on the cob.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i just made onion rings in my outdoor fryer with a horseradish dipping sauce. when we all sat around like hilljacks burning our hands as we ate them right out of the hot oil. my oldest son and his wife came by. nice relaxing time. ate til we were sick

yesterday i made funnel cakes in the fryer for everyone at our cookout. i am an outdoor chef

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24324 comments Mod
Outdoor fryers scare me. They have killed before...

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the name is Sprinkle. Kevin D. the D is for Dangerous....

message 15: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I just made a dark chocolate cake with raspberry cream cheese frosting....YUM! :D

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I picture Kevin throwin' in a little extra oil to shoot a flame into the sky for the entertainment of local kids...

Alecia, that sounds good...

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments "ok...watch again...i call it jalapeno napalm. if you squeeze the hot oil out of the fried pepper while holding a lighter in front it makes like a wicked tiny flamethrower....what? sure you can try it..."

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Everything in this thread sounds delicious, except possibly the jalapeno napalm.

Last night, in an attempt to keep my CSA veggies from going to waste, I made pasta with broccoli and zucchini and mushrooms and a really light ricotta and basil sauce.
And corn on the cob.
And salad.
Zu made roasted beets with feta. I'm not a huge fan of beets, but these were outstanding.

For dessert I made chocolate ricotta, which is super easy and delicious:
ricotta
cocoa powder (next time I'm using melted chocolate - this was too powdery)
honey
pumpkin pie spice (or some combo of such things: cinammon, cloves, nutmeg)
vanilla
Throw it all in the food processor til smooth.
Then serve it on its own or with cookies.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

i love beeets

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

do you chill the choc. ricotta?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally wrote: "i love beeets"

::In my best Yosemite Sam Voice::

I hates beets!

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments bears, beets, battlestar galactica

message 23: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments thanks, dwight

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Jul 06, 2010 10:47AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I do chill the chocolate ricotta, but you don't actually have to. ETA: If you want the exact ratio of ingredients I can give it to you, but I didn't really follow it and it still worked out fine.

I hated beets & brussel sprouts until Zu convinced me of the error of my ways. It's all in how you cook 'em. For me at least. You can't get me to eat an olive, so I accept that you don't eat beets.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

I just sliced up a kohlrabi and am eating it raw. It is satisfying this recent longing I've had for a radish.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i heard they used a kohlrabi as a model to make some of the cantina characters in star wars

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

I can now breathe fire on you.

message 28: by Heidi (last edited Jul 06, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally, have you ever had pickled turnips?

OMG, they're heavenly! My sister introduced them to me when we went grocery shopping at a Lebanese grocery store in Houston.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

I LOVE pickled things. I once had pickled asparagus from this roadside stand in North Carolina that made my whole world technicolor.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Eeeeww. Nothing pickled for me, thanks, except maybe a really crisp dill pickle.

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i was going to post a pic of pickled pigs feet but it skeeved me out too much

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

ew, Barb. rew.

now.
I just made yummy yummer pasta salad:

whole wheat fusili
1/2 kohlrabi, diced fine
celery
1 bunch each parsley and cilantro, run thru processor
some green onions

mayo
miracle whip
ital. dressing

message 33: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I just made grilled honey lime tilapia with black bean salad and garlic herb zucchini...I'm in food heaven!

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

I need to eat more fish. Tilapia sounds so good.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I had John Dory fish for the first time on Friday. Cute neighbor was right... it IS a hearty English pub fish. It was delicious... especially with beer.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gordon Ramsay is always yelling about John Dory, but I can't help thinking of Dory from Finding Nemo.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Gordon Ramsay is always yelling about John Dory, but I can't help thinking of Dory from Finding Nemo."

Nooooo! Not Dory, Sarah Pi! "Fish are friends, not food!" :)

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Gordon Ramsay is always yelling about John Dory, but I can't help thinking of Dory from Finding Nemo."

I actually thought the same thing while I was eating it, Sarah. :)

message 39: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I made an ice cream sundae with cerezas on top. :)

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heidi wrote: "Sarah Pi wrote: "Gordon Ramsay is always yelling about John Dory, but I can't help thinking of Dory from Finding Nemo."

I actually thought the same thing while I was eating it, Sarah. :)"

And you ate it anyway!

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "And you ate it anyway!"

Reluctantly at first, and then I made myself think of a big drunk cute Londoner falling face first into the water and pulling up a fish with his hand and yelling, "DINNER!" That fish's name was Harold, not Dory.

message 42: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Heidi wrote: "Sally, have you ever had pickled turnips?

OMG, they're heavenly! My sister introduced them to me when we went grocery shopping at a Lebanese grocery store in Houston."

I would definitely try those.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I just ate quinoa with mustard greens. Mmmmm.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

quinoa!

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Not only is quinoa totally delicious, but it contains all the essential amino acids, making it an excellent non-meat source of protein.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yum to the ginger cake and the quinoa. I am not good at making quinoa - I always use too much water or something. Then my aunt makes it and I see how great it can be, and then I go home and mess it up again.

message 47: by Alex (last edited Jul 16, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

Alex (alexzfaulkner) | 6 comments FAVORITE MEAL EVER.
i dont make it often because if i ever get sick of it i may cry...and i dont want to make all the other meals jelaous.

tilapia and crawfish tails on a bed of wild rice with beurre blanc. steamed broccoli is good on the side.
i made it for my rents anniversary. KILLLLLERRRR

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Someone posted a recipe for Devils Food Cake some time in February (I remember as it was near my sons birthday and I can’t find the original thread). I never quite got around to making it at the time but saved the recipe anyway.

My daughter & I made it yesterday. It was truly scrumptious. I would like to thank who ever it was who provided the recipe.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I finally traced the cake recipe, it came from Mandy. She hasn't been around for a while so I can't thank her.

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i just made an special egg scramble with 4 eggs, onions, hot peppers, ham and cheese. it was wonderful

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.