Harry Potter discussion

Books > Anyone else starting from the beginning again

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Jane Now that the series is done there is so much to go back and marvel at - not the least of which is the fact that JK Rowling certainly had a complete story arc planned from the beginning. It's also a real credit to her talent to see again just how she wrote each book appropriately to relect Harry's age and journey. Things are definately simplified in the earlier books - example: When Dumbledore talks to Harry about his father's cloak in the first book he says that James used it to sneak into the kitchens mostly. Of course Dumbledore knew more than that - but he told Harry just what he needed to know at that point in Harry's journey. And I am on GOF right now and guess what - when Mssrs. Weasley and Diggory are discussing whether they are waiting for anyone else one of them says "The Lovegoods left the other day." I never noticed that before (since Luna didn't arrive until the next book) and I certainly didn't realize they were neighbors of the Weasley's until the final book. But it was all right there...

message 2: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Mike D. | 7 comments I would really like to start over again, and I will. I just don't have the time at the moment, though. I did remember the thing about the Lovegoods, but that was after a re-read and after Luna was introduced.

message 3: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I tried to start them from the beginning as soon as I had finished DH but I wasn't able to get into it just yet. I was still thinking about everyone we lost in the final book. But I do intend to read them all through from the beginning but it probably won't be for a few months, I have too many other books that are being released in the next couple of months that I'm waiting to read.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I will absolutely re-read them-- probably several times before I die . . . But like Cindy, I just need a little more time inbetween.

message 5: by Kirk (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Kirk | 10 comments I read them all after I read the 6th for the first time. I haven't read the 7th two times yet though.

message 6: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Peter DiCicco | 8 comments I actually re-read the entire series just prior to Book 7's release in anticipation. I immediately wanted to go back to the beginning again after I finished Deathly Hallows, but I'm going to take a break and read a few other books first, I think. I'll be looking forward to it, though.

message 7: by Frank (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Frank Noonan | 2 comments Yes, i am currently just starting book 4, 1-3 were as awsome as i remembered and im looking forward to finishing all 7 in one go

message 8: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) I planning on listening to them from the very beginning but I haven't started yet. I did read book 7 twice now!

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Rachel i also read 1-6 right before 7 came out. i'll probably wait two or three years to pick them up again so that it's not so fresh in my mind. i still like to be surprised. :)

message 10: by Elham (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Elham | 4 comments I read all of the books before the 7th one was published. I was surprised that how many things there were that I really forgot them! It's so good to re-read them and see how they the books are getting better and the charcters are growing up!

message 11: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Tracey i would LOVE to start reading the series over again! but if i do, i won't get any housework done. ;-) i'll try my best to be good, but once mid-October comes, all bets are off...
http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Bo...

message 12: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Cindy (supercin721) | 26 comments I reread the series before the 7th final one came out. I was behind in my reading schedule so I had to wait four days before I could start reading it! Anyway, I figure next summer would be the perfect time to read them all again...or...two years from now when the final movie comes out. Then, you could do a reading and movie marathon.

message 13: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) I read 6 before 7 came out, then decided to re-read the series after. It holds up really well. I thought that, re-reading 1-6, I would rediscover elements that reappear in 7, increasing my appreciation of 7 and the way everything came together. But I didn't really, and I think that's a testament to how well Rowling incorporated everything into the finale. You didn't have to remember details from the rest of the series in order to understand what happened.

message 14: by Michele (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Michele | 20 comments I've recently restarted the series. Like someone else said I will probably re-read them over and over.

It's great to re-read them because it's been years since my first reading. All these new details are jumping out at me now.

I'd like to re-read them and really dissect them but I'm wondering if perhaps that's going too far.

message 15: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I did re-read the first six before the final one came out, and like Elham I was surprised at how much I had forgotten.

message 16: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Rachel ooh cindy, i love that idea...a book and movie marathon before the last movie comes out. i'm totally doing it! :)

message 17: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Yep. But I read it three times this summer before seven. My plan was to finish six just before seven and, well, I couldn't read it that slow. :)

message 18: by Holly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Holly Thompson (Rabbitt32) | 7 comments I'm going to start over once I get my schedule in order. Right now It's so tight I cant hardly do anything for myself. But I'm working on it and it's getting easier... I will start over then.

message 19: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Ashley (samuraigurl91) | 106 comments well when i have the time i would deifnitely re-read the whole thing. especially since my mum bought me the Sorcerer's Stone cause i didn't have the book since i watched the movie first then only read the book from my school library.

message 20: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments i can't remember how many times i've re-read the whole lot. everytime a new book will come out i start in the beginning that's why my first four books are so worn out (they're not hardbound). also before a new movie comes out i watch the previous ones (like meghan, i have the collection). i'm actually starting again with book 1 (that's why i can't finish all the other books i've got to read, sigh....). i love harry potter series so much!!!!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished for the 1st time in July 2009. I'm reading them again and it's way cool! If you look in the 1st book, in the 1st chapter, it talks about Sirius! Its been wonderful reading it again for the 2nd time!