Unputdownables Book Club discussion

What Are You Reading? > Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wallace (last edited Jun 25, 2010 01:52PM) (new)

Wallace | 303 comments Mod
WARNING: SPOILER THREAD... don't read past this if you haven't read the book (The Hunger Games)

Ok, so I am almost finished with this book. I want to say what a fun read, but it is also a sad and serious read at the same time! I am on the first page of Part 3 (the last part, i think). Rue has just died and they have announced that two Tributes from the same district can win. Which I think is a bit convenient, but I also wasn't surprised about. I've seen a few book bloggers with Team Peeta and Team Gale badges in their sidebars, so that kind of lead me to believe Peeta lives and I'm pretty sure out girl lives, since she's telling the story. So I figured they must find a way to win together. But i still want to know what happens. I'm a bit bugged by those bloggers, but I had kind of thought Peeta might live anyway.

message 2: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) Wallace, I am now reading Catching Fire, book 2 of that series. I read the first one earlier this month. The second one is just as intense. I have already preordered book 3, Mockingjay which is due out in August.

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I've preordered Mockingjay too! CAN.NOT.WAIT.

message 4: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Wow! I have yet to read any of these books, but I've heard some great things about this series and after reading your reactions, I'm thinking it might be time to go out and buy The Hunger Games.

message 5: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) OK, I just finished Catching Fire and it is even better than The Hunger Games. I am upset about one thing, however. I should have waited to read this one until closer to the time that Mockingjay comes out. It left you so hanging.

message 6: by Wallace (last edited Jun 25, 2010 01:51PM) (new)

Wallace | 303 comments Mod
Nadia -- I just responded in the other folder to your reading drought, and told you to maybe read this one. Zoe was one of the ones who recommended it so highly, and she was right! Talk about getting your grove back!

LemonLinda-- good to know. I have a couple of books I have to read for reviews and was kind of bummed that I couldn't pick up Catching Fire right away, but now I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing?

Also, I'm finished! It caught me off guard the way they changed the rules back to only one person winning, and I honestly couldn't figure out what they were going to do in order to both live! Now I'm worried because it seems like they are not completely safe even though they won and are back home!

I really like this book. It's almost disturbing how easily you forget that they were KILLING each other. I understand that it's to make a point, but part of me wishes they could have played the game differently. I really do think they underlying theme is incredibly interesting, and that perhaps the deaths needed to happen to really drill the point home?

message 7: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I've read all 3...great books.

message 8: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Right now I'm in the middle of Mockingjay and I'm loving it! What a great series! I can't wait to see how it all ends.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz I think next to Harry Potter, this is my favorite YA series.

message 10: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Liz, I can agree with that! I'm just loving watching Katniss realize her power and Gale and Peeta are amazing!