Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

276 views
QUESTIONS > LET'S TALK HEROES ...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Everyone-
Here's a totally fun question to warm the romantic in all of us- Who is your favorite hero - a man who stirs your blood?
This can be someone real or fictional. (We'll talk about heriones later!)

I had a very tough time with this one, and am sure I will think of many others later,but I think I would fall in love with Charles Audley from An Infamous Army by Georgett Heyer. Colonel Audley is all that is honorable, and a perfect foil for the wild and abandoned Barbara Childe. He is patient and forebearing and sees within her what no one else does. He was a near perfect romantic hero for me.
What are your thoughts? - Emery


message 2: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments Well, my hubby is my knight in shining armor, always has been and always will be.;-)

However, my favorite literary hero is Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. He's honorable, a gentleman, a brave warrior, a tender lover, intelligent, self-deprecating, and pretty much all the traits I admire in a man. In fact, in a lot of ways, he's very much like my hubby.;-)


message 3: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jun 20, 2010 03:54PM) (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Well, my hubby is my knight in shining armor, always has been and always will be.;-)

However, my favorite literary hero is Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. He's honorable, a ge..."


Well said "O Good and Faithful Wife!" LOL


message 4: by PK Reeves (new)

PK Reeves | 8 comments I love my hero to be full of devilish mirth, deemed completely irreprehensible, rakish, witty, complex, but absolutely salvageable through the guidance of a heroine who matches his sparring words at every turn.

I loved Adam Black from Karen Marie Monig's series (paranormal ditty). He exudes the sarcastic tones of someone who's lived too long and knowingly has lost faith in mankind. Voila my hero would be Adam Black.

PS I married the opposite.. I married a PRANKSTER ;P


message 5: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
PK Reeves wrote: "I love my hero to be full of devilish mirth, deemed completely irreprehensible, rakish, witty, complex, but absolutely salvageable through the guidance of a heroine who matches his sparring words a..."

My husband is not my ideal romantic hero either, but more the best friend/Tom Hanks type. Now I have to ask- in your case did opposites attract???


message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) I haven't found one yet though if I got around to reading Persuasion(instead of watching the movie with the GORGEOUS Rupert)it would be Captain Wentworth. Yum.


message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (mercuryo) | 3 comments Wow! Narrow it down to one? Impossible. However, a few that standout are:

Lord Saxton/Christopher Seton in A Rose in Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss

Ranulf in Defy Not the Heart by Johanna Lindsey

Any of the brothers in the Mallory books by Ms. Lindsey

All of the men in the Bastion Club series by Stephanie Laurens

I really love a hero that makes me laugh out loud, and if he is involved in some danger or mystery, that's even better.

Another hero I have enjoyed, although he is not from a typical historical romance novel is Jondalar from the Earth's Children (Clan of the Cave Bear) series. He is sensual, accepting of Ayla's differences and (sigh) totally in awe of her as a woman.


message 8: by PK Reeves (last edited Jun 22, 2010 01:27PM) (new)

PK Reeves | 8 comments Emery wrote: "PK Reeves wrote: "I love my hero to be full of devilish mirth, deemed completely irreprehensible, rakish, witty, complex, but absolutely salvageable through the guidance of a heroine who matches hi..."
Did opposite attract?? Hmmm I think he caught my eye with his smile & I'd seen him about. It helped that we had mutual friends but just as we are opposites in mannerism: we are very much the same for our passion for the arts, literature, history and bonus.. we're both vertically challenged ;)
I'm just about 4ft 10 inches & he's just the right height for twirling around on the dance floor. Hmm actually he can't dance but A for effort ;)


message 9: by PK Reeves (new)

PK Reeves | 8 comments All the heros being mentioned seem enticing... Will have to increase TBR list with above mentioned now. Thanks everyone... another round of books for the shelves.


message 10: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Shannon wrote: "Wow! Narrow it down to one? Impossible. However, a few that standout are:

Lord Saxton/Christopher Seton in A Rose in Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss

Ranulf in Defy Not the Heart by Johanna Li..."


I have never read A Rose in Winter. It's on so many people's "Best Ever" list of romances. Think I'll add it to by TBR.


message 11: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments I'm another one who has A Rose in Winter on my "best ever" list. I first read it probably 15-20 years ago, and the book is still in my Top 15 and Christopher Seton, the hero, is in my Top 10.;-)


message 12: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I'm another one who has A Rose in Winter on my "best ever" list. I first read it probably 15-20 years ago, and the book is still in my Top 15 and Christopher Seton, the hero, is in my Top 10.;-)"

I'm all over it then! It's going on my Amazon wish list tonight!


message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Well, my hubby is my knight in shining armor, always has been and always will be.;-)

However, my favorite literary hero is Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. He's honorable, a ge..."


I agree with you on Jamie Fraser. He's just so swoon worthy. I also love Roger, especially since his looks are more to my taste. I can't stand how Bree treats him sometimes.


message 14: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Y'all have made me look bad with all this husband worship. Hubby didn't care for my Tom Hanks remark! LOL. (BTW What's he spying on me for anyway???)


message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jun 24, 2010 08:50AM) (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Well, that's tough.

Real:

Jesus
CS Lewis
Frederick Douglass

Fictional (my top four):
Sebastian Ballister, Marquess of Dain from Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent from Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas
Samuel Gerard from The Shadow and the Star by Laura Kinsale
Carter McKoy from The Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas


message 16: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hey Danielle- We definitely have similar tastes. Lord of Scoundrels is my favorite HR - LOVE Sebastian. Especially the scene in the rain against the lamp post! My second is also Sebastian from Devil in Winter. Do you think there's something in that name?? LOL


 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I think it's a magic name for HR heroes. :) We do have similar tastes. :)


message 18: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments Hi all,
I have to say that I'm a big fan of Sebastain st. Vincent as well,
However if I had to choose one hero to be my fav. it will probably be Keir from Warprize, although it might be only the first two books, the author kind of lost me in the last one, Warlord.


message 19: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
What did you like about him? What"drew you in?"


message 20: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments I guess that question is for me.
Keir, well.
I rarely do like male characters, but this guy was really understating and willing to change. I like how he respects their different believes and cultures (his and the heroine), how he waits for her to adjust, how he admits he is wrong, and is willing to sacrifice. I’m not saying he is perfect, but he was really cool.
and he was so in love with her hair, it was just so romantic from a warrior.
and as I usually imagine actors when i read, Keir was Richard Armitage, because of the black hair and the black leather.


message 21: by PK Reeves (new)

PK Reeves | 8 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Well, that's tough.

Real:

Jesus
CS Lewis
Frederick Douglass

Fictional (my top four):
Sebastian Ballister, Marquess of Dain from Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
Sebastian, Lord St. ..."


I loved Sebastian Lord St Vincent from The Devil in the Winter! He was such an interesting character and his redemption via Evie made it all the more enjoyable.


message 22: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi All-
For those of you who adore historical romance with dark and tortured souls- do I have the book for you!
A train wreck is less twisted than Gabriel St. Croix! I have become a huge fan of this author. Love her darker but truly elegant style. Check out Judith James' Broken Wing. Broken Wing by Judith James


message 23: by Loudice (new)

Loudice (yoys) | 2 comments This is a topic I can definitely relate to...!

My favorite heroes would have to be

Luke Benedict from Jennifer Blake's Southern Gentlemen series
Angel O'Rourke from Johanna Lindsey's Wyoming series
Julian Hampton from The Romantic by Madeline Hunter

I'm sure that this list will grow longer in time because either I'll encounter another magnificent hero or I remember someone remarkable and add him...


message 24: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Loudice wrote: "This is a topic I can definitely relate to...!

My favorite heroes would have to be

Luke Benedict from Jennifer Blake's Southern Gentlemen series
Angel O'Rourke from Johanna Lindsey's Wyoming seri..."


I love Madeleine Hunter. I'vre read soem of her other titles in this series but not The Romantic yet. I'll move it to the top of the HR TBR!
Thanks for sharing Loudice!


message 25: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Aug 09, 2010 07:52PM) (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
Renno from the White Indian series.
Rhett Butler from Gone With the Wind.
Jamie Fraser from Outlander.
I'll have to think about some recent ones but the only recent ones I can think of are real live actors in the movies, Leonardo DiCapricio in Man In The Iron Mask and The Titanic and Brad Pitt as Tristan in Legends Of The Fall. A more recent hero out of a novel should come to me tonight!


message 26: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Everyone-
Boy, do I have a treat for you!
I came upon this essay today from the Dear Author Book Blog and absolutely had to share it - especially since I've been married for 27 years to a ....
you guessed it....Scorpio!
I promise you'll be entertained, and I look forward to a lively discussion!(please check it out)
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010/...


message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Gee, Emery I don't know if I'm glad for you or not being married to a Scorpio. Some parts I wouldn't mind (not mentioning which), but on the whole, I dunno...


message 28: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
LUCIEN! Which book was he in????????? I know it was a Regency Romance but that man really impressed me. I no longer remember the title of the book or the writer.
Who out there remembers Lucien???????????????? Or was it Lucifer????????????


message 29: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Jill wrote: "Gee, Emery I don't know if I'm glad for you or not being married to a Scorpio. Some parts I wouldn't mind (not mentioning which), but on the whole, I dunno..."

HI Jill!
I almost pee'd my pants through some of this.Everyone who knows my hubby thinks he's a Mr. Spock clone (ala Star Trek). I actually had to ask him after reading this, "Honey, are you sensitive?"
He answered yes., that his feeling are easily hurt.
I was floored! The vindictive, controlling, hot temper (all true) As for your unmentionable part- that's probably the only compensation! Oh, as to his penchant for maids and secretaries- I would also have to include librarian types. I'm a quintessential librarian/Virgo BTW. LOL


message 30: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Gaile wrote: "LUCIEN! Which book was he in????????? I know it was a Regency Romance but that man really impressed me. I no longer remember the title of the book or the writer.
Who out there remembers Lucien?????..."


Maybe a Stephanie Laurens hero?


message 31: by Jill (new)

Jill Emery wrote: "Jill wrote: "Gee, Emery I don't know if I'm glad for you or not being married to a Scorpio. Some parts I wouldn't mind (not mentioning which), but on the whole, I dunno..."

HI Jill!
I almost pe..."


Was I that obvious about the unmentionable?
Had to giggle at the description in the blog.
By the way, does your DH know you are describing him
to this group? And if so, how does he feel about it?
Being a Scorpio and all.


message 32: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Jill wrote: "Emery wrote: "Jill wrote: "Gee, Emery I don't know if I'm glad for you or not being married to a Scorpio. Some parts I wouldn't mind (not mentioning which), but on the whole, I dunno..."

HI Jill!
..."


No doubt suspicious and paranoid!
He's already checked it before. He wasn't crazy about my Tom Hanks remark of June 21


message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill By the way, Emery I am also the Virgo/librarian/booksy
type. What is your birthday? I'm 9 September.


message 34: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
September 13!!


 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) That was hilarious. I have to admit that I don't mix well with Scorpios. But, I seem to like those traits in a hero (blushing guiltily), except for the manhoing. I like the whole, I'll make you love me by enslaving you to me via sex, and I'll punish you by making you marry me (again, blushing guiltily).

*now I'm slinking off to be ashamed of myself for my reading proclivities.*


message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Funny article! I dated a scorpio and he was the worst boyfriend ever. Cried at the drop of dime and was super, super sensitive about the stupidest things.


message 37: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "That was hilarious. I have to admit that I don't mix well with Scorpios. But, I seem to like those traits in a hero (blushing guiltily), except for the manhoing. I like the whole, I'll make you l..."

No reason to blush among the equally guilty!


 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Aw, Thanks, Emery!


message 39: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi All-

Here's another thought provoking essay I particularly liked that explains why the heroes we fantasize about don't exist.
http://www.theromancestudio.com/artic...


message 40: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Aug 12, 2010 11:48AM) (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
I'll have to get that book, Sextrology by Starsky & Cox.
In my lifetime, the men attracted to me are usually water signs, Scorpio, Pisces & Cancer. Then there is Sag & Libra.
Although Libras and Geminis are supposed to be compatible according to astrology, I have found them to be completely incompatible to me to the point I wanted to annihilate the poor Libra guy who was so misguided as to make me all these promises and then hope he could gently persuade me that that was yesterday and today is different. HA!
As to Scorpio, I dated several and found them very horny, always bragging about their sexual exploits and possessed with such a great sense of humor they kept me laughing.
They don't, however have a monopoly on humor. I married a Pisces who kept me laughing and on my toes for forty two years. (He passed in 2004) Pisces is never surprised by sin or scandal. People empty their hearts out to Pisces men and he is never shocked. They are extremely intelligent, spiritual and psychic often without realizing it. Pisces are old souls who have had so many lives here on Earth that nothing surprises them and they are now bored.
Why do they come back? My husband said he came back because he couldn't bear to be without me so why did he leave so soon??? (By the way, he is also the father of my five children)
I thought this discussion was about book heroes, not husbands. How did we get on the subject of husbands???????


message 41: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments Gaile wrote: "LUCIEN! Which book was he in????????? I know it was a Regency Romance but that man really impressed me. I no longer remember the title of the book or the writer.
Who out there remembers Lucien?????..."


Is it Lord of Fire by Gaelen Foley?


message 42: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Gaile wrote: "I'll have to get that book, Sextrology by Starsky & Cox.
In my lifetime, the men attracted to me are usually water signs, Scorpio, Pisces & Cancer. Then there is Sag & Libra.
Although Libras and G..."


That's the best possible world Gaile- one in which your husband and hero can be one and the same!


message 43: by Jill (new)

Jill Emery wrote: "Gaile wrote: "I'll have to get that book, Sextrology by Starsky & Cox.
In my lifetime, the men attracted to me are usually water signs, Scorpio, Pisces & Cancer. Then there is Sag & Libra.
Altho..."


Cute, Emery. You wrote that because you know your hubby will read it!


message 44: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
YES! It's Lord Lucien Knight in Lord Of Fire!
Thanks Julie!


message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3 comments More years ago than I would care to recall, I fell madly in love with Sir Simon Lemagne of "Roselynde" by Roberta Gellis. I'm not sure that I ever got over his being killed off in book two.

Probably because Simon was so often compared to William Marshall in that book, I couldn't help but find him very attractive as well. I was so pleased to learn of the books by Elizabeth Chadwick. And in reading those, I was introduced to another writer I greatly enjoy.


message 46: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Sandra-
I just check on this one, and several of our other members have read and reviewed Roselynde as well. Do you think it's a good title to add to our shelf? Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1) by Roberta Gellis


message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill Sandra wrote: "More years ago than I would care to recall, I fell madly in love with Sir Simon Lemagne of "Roselynde" by Roberta Gellis. I'm not sure that I ever got over his being killed off in book two.

Proba..."


Sandra
I also have read the first three Roberta Gellis books. I don't like heroes being killed off either.
And William Marshall is one of my favourite heroes from the EC books. Not quite as fine as Jamie Fraser, but close.


message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3 comments Emery wrote: "Hi Sandra-
I just check on this one, and several of our other members have read and reviewed Roselynde as well. Do you think it's a good title to add to our shelf?Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1) by Roberta Gellis"


I would definitely think so. The books of Roberta Gellis got me through an entire section of my Introductory World History class in college, but the love stories touched me as well.


message 49: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3 comments Jill wrote: I also have read the first three Roberta Gellis books. I don't like heroes being killed off either.

I enjoyed reading her "Desiree" because it was set in the time that Alinor and Simon were married, although the publisher was different and the style not the same as her other books.


message 50: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments Gaile wrote: "YES! It's Lord Lucien Knight in Lord Of Fire!
Thanks Julie!"


You're welcome, Gaile. I loved Lucien and his book.:-)


« previous 1
back to top