The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > Ruby's Reading Goal

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 60 comments Mostly I want to read a lot of the books (several boxes full) that are fiction I haven't read, mostly picked up on a whim at used book stores, and at least some of the fat tomes of nonfiction I have neglected too long. Here goes:

Nonfiction, much of it archaeological/historical.

1) Scotland: The Story of a Nation by Magnus Magnusson
2) The Hungarians: A Thousand Years of Victory in Defeat by Paul Lendvai (on page 114)
3) Timewalkers: The Prehistory of Global Colonization by Clive Gamble
4) The Age of Stonehenge by Colin Burgess
5) Apes, Angels and Victorians: Darwin, Huxley and Evolution by William Irvine
6) They Wrote on Clay by Edward Chiera
7) The Gate of Horn by G. R. Levy
8) Art & Soul: Notes on Creating by Audrey Flack
9) The Barbarian West 400-1,000 by J. M. Wallace-Hadrill (studied first 63 pages some time ago)
10) The Slavs by Marija Gimbutas (p. 76)

Okay, enough nonfiction, them be thick! Here's literary fiction:

11) The Human Factor by Graham Greene (stuck on page 180 for over a year)
12) Swann's Way by Marcel Proust(p. 59)
13) The 39 Steps by John Buchan (just started!)
14) Greenmantle by above
15) Mr. Standfast by above
16) Travels With a Donkey, An Inland Voyage, and The Silverado Squatters by R. L. Stevenson
17) The Master of Ballantrae by R. L. Stevenson
18) Clea by Lawrence Durrell (the trouble being that I have to go back and read the whole quartet first)
19) The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe
20) Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis

Sci fi, especially Andre Norton (I bought a whole shelf full of ones I hadn't read sometime last year and haven't gotten to but a few, have many more left to read than are listed here)

19) The Jargoon Pard by A. N.
20) Star Guard by A. N.
21) Star Gate by A. N.
22) Star Man's Son by A. N.
23) Secret of the Lost Race by A. N.
24) Garan the Eternal by A. N.
25) The Moon and the Face by Patricia McKillip
26) The Sagittarius Command by R. M. Meluch
27) Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson
28) The Synthetic Man by Theodore Sturgeon
29) Alien Emergencies: A Sector General Omnibus by James White (first omnibus volume was excellent)
30) Flowerdust by Gwyneth Jones
31) Deepwater Dreams by Sydney J. Van Scyoc
32) Cloudcry by Sydney J. Van Scyoc (started this not long ago, but misplaced it, it's probably behind the bed)

Fantasy, not much of this sitting around waiting.

33) The Brother Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren
34) The Dark Druid by Kenneth C. Flint
35) The Seventh Swan by Nicholas Stuart Gray
36) Undersea by Paul Hazel
37) Winterking by Paul Hazel
38) The Ash Staff by Paul R. Fisher
39) The Secret Books of Paradys I & II by Tanith Lee (started today)
40) The Secret Books of Paradys III & IV by Tanith Lee

Anthologies

41) Merlin ed. by Martin H. Greenberg (partway through)
42) Oceans of Space ed. by Brian M. Thomsen & Martin H. Greenberg
43) The Virago Book of Erotic Myths and Legends coll. by Sharukh Husain
44) Faery! ed. by Terri Windling (partway through but that was probably five years ago)
45) Unicorns! ed. by Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois

overlooked Magickal books

46) Giants of Gaia by Nicholas R. Mann and Marcia Sutton, Ph.D.
47) Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism by Jan Fries
48) Living with Honour: A Pagan Ethics by Emma Restall Orr
49) The Flaming Circle by Robin Artisson (got to p. 52, will probably have to go back and start over)
50) The Secret Science Behind Miracles by Max Freedom Long(p. 200)
51) The Secret Science at Work by Max Freedom Long
52) The Faery Teachings by Orion Foxwood (LOVED this guy's workshops at a festival but his writing style SUX BIG TIME)
53) Magical Fabric Art: Spellwork and Wishcraft Through Patchwork Quilting and Sewing by Sandra McGraw Scarpa
54) The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation, Including the Demotic Spells, Vol One: Texts ed. by Hans Dieter Betz
55) Highways of the Mind: The Art and History of Pathworking by Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki
56) The Inner Mysteries of the Goths by Nigel Pennick
57) Gothic Grimoire by Konstantinos
58) Nocturnicon: Calling Dark Forces and Powers by Konstantinos
59) Witches, Werewolves and Fairies: Astral Doubles in the Middle Ages by Claude Lecouteux
60) The Rosicrucians: the History, Mythology and Rituals of an Esoteric Order by Christopher McIntosh
61) River's Way: The Process Science of the Dreambody by Arnold Mindell

All the above are already sitting around my house and that isn't all, just a sampling!!

New/newish books I plan to buy in the store this year for sure.

62) Magic on the Storm by Devon Monk
63) Gentleman Takes a Chance by Sarah A. Hoyt
64) Naamah's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey
65) Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon
66) The Sword of the Lady by S. M. Stirling
67) Kitty Goes to War by Carrie Vaughn
68) Harvest Hunting by Yasmine Galenorn
69) Night Myst by Yasmine Galenorn
70) The Sending by Isobelle Carmody

Books I have not yet read that are sitting in my Amazon Cart (may buy this year or not, depending partly on how many people I can convince that Amazon GC's are the perfect b-day and holiday gift every single year).

71) The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
72) Janissaries by Jerry Pournelle
73) King David's Spaceship by Jerry Pournelle
74) Falkenberg's Legion by Jerry Pournelle
75) The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany
76) Walking the Twilight Path: a Gothic Book of the Dead by Michelle Belanger
77) Haunting Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly by Michelle Belanger
78) The Mound People: Danish Bronze-Age Man Preserved by P. V. Glob
79) Tales of Pain and Wonder by Caitlin R. Kiernan
80) A is for Alien by Caitlin R. Kiernan
81) Song for the Basilisk by Patricia McKillip
82) The Bell at Sealey Head by Patricia McKillip
83) The Apple and the Thorn by Emma Restall-Orr
84) Dionysos: Archetypal Image of Indestructible Life by Carl Kerenyi
85) Sir Nigel and the White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle
86) Women of War ed. by Alexander Potter
87) Wizard Fantastic ed. by Martin H. Greenberg
88) The Stonehenge Gate by Jack Williamson
89) Marble Skin by Slavenka Drakulic
90) Holograms of Fear by Slavenka Drakulic
91) Frida's Bed by Slavenka Drakulic
92) Saltflower by Sydney J. Van Scyoc
93) Tiger, Tiger by Lynne Reid Banks
94) Black Narcissus by Rumer Godden
95) A Burnt-Out Case by Graham Greene (when I've read The Human Factor, my policy on G. G. is that I buy a new one when I've finished one)

Last of all, a few books lent to me that I am not terribly excited about because I am bad about reading anything lent me, even though I try to make other people read my books all the time:

96) A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin
97) Kristin Lavransdatter I: The Wreath by Sigrid Undset
98) Kristin Lavransdatter II: The Wife by Sigrid Undset
99) Kristin Lavransdatter III: The Cross by Sigrid Undset (even though I bought these as a gift for the person who is now lending them to me, on a relative's recommendation)
100) The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt

message 2: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 60 comments So far I have read #39 - The Secret Books of Paradys I & II and #79 - Tales of Pain and Wonder

I am on a dark fantasy kick and have put down The 39 Steps to read more Lovecraft that for some reason is not on here, (probably I was thinking I'd read that anyway). #'s 73, 74, and 76 are on their way to me in the mail, so they are probably next!

message 3: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 60 comments I think I misnumbered and actually have 102 here. Oh well

message 4: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 60 comments Read #40 The Secret Books of Paradys III & IV, also Falkenberg's Legion and King David's Spaceship! Those were so delightfully science-fictiony I wanted more so I read The Secret of the Lost Race from my stack of unread Andre Norton. Now I am thinking I'll read The Stars Are Ours by A. N., which isn't one of the ones I put on this list. Oh well again.

message 5: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 60 comments I read about half a dozen more Norton that are not on here, plus all three John Buchan books, Naamah's Kiss, Magic on the Storm, Kitty Goes to War, and The Bell at Sealey Head. I have not read one single nonfiction from this list. I guess I am not paying much attention to it. Bought several new books last month that were not on here - Black Ships and Hand of Isis by Jo Graham were notable and entirely due to Goodreads pumping up my desire for new books. And then I got two Mercedes Lackey, two kids' books, Paula by Isabel Allende and Terrier by Tamora Pierce at the used store yesterday (that last was rather wonderful).

message 6: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 60 comments I finished several anthologies, including #42 - Oceans of Space. I acquired and read the sequel to Terrier - Bloodhound, and acquired and started a book of short stories by S. M. Stirling - Ice, Iron and Gold. Since then I've been needing solace and comforting and I've been rereading old faves, Incubus Dreams through Skin Trade of the Anita Blake series, The Virgin in the Garden by A. S. Byatt, and Tam Lin by Pamela Dean. I also reread all my nonfiction memoir/writing manuals by Natalie Goldberg and Anne Lamott.

I have also been rereading old spellbooks and magick manuals for a review of certain points - particularly but not exclusively Magical Rites from the Crystal Well, Valerie Worth's Crone's Books, and Doreen Valiente's Liber Umbrarum. Got plans for Autumn Equinox/Harvest Moon!