Harry Potter discussion

Movies > Casting the rest of the books

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Tara | 83 comments So, the latest rumor is that Naomi Watts has been tapped to play Narcissa Malfoy. I can see that.

Are there other actors you would like to see in the roles of HP characters? I have to admit, when reading the books I always pictured Nicole Kidman as Narcissa. I can see Nicole playing Narcissa next to Jason Isaacs' Lucius.

What about other characters, like the new Minister of Magic and the Prime Minister? Any thoughts, opinions, otherwise? I would love to see Ian McKellan in some role, but I don't know what!

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I think they should stick with the british actors on Harry Potter..lol . I think they should stay away from those very popular actors/actresses they talk about on ET and all. Actors like Nicole Kidman would ruin Harry Potter.

message 3: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Peter DiCicco | 8 comments I don't know about Naomi Watts & Nicole Kidman. As much as I like them as actresses, they are Australian, and I've liked that they have stuck with British actors playing British characters.

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of the best person to play Scrimgeour, so I'm interested to see who they choose.

I think Richard Griffiths would have been a perfect Slughorn, but as he plays Uncle Vernon, that wouldn't do. Maybe Bob Hoskins? I've always loved him, and I think he would make a great addition to the cast.

For movie 7, I think Bill Nighy would be hilarious as Luna's father.

message 4: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Jane Bill Nighy is a brilliant idea. Tom Wilkenson would be a good Scrimgeour. Bob Hoskins could be hysterical as Mungdungus - if he is even mentioned in the movie. I hope that having Steve Kloves back screenwriting will help keep more to the actual story instead of changing things for what seemed purely cinematic reasons. Give the actors more acting and cut out the voiceovers and newspaper clippings.

message 5: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Tara | 83 comments I would love to see Bill Nighy and Tom Wilkenson and Bob Hoskins! All three would be great in any role!

I do also like that the actors have been British which made me raise an eyebrow when the rumor went out that Naomi was being tapped for Narcissa. Image-wise, I think Nicole has the height for Narcissa (I always pictured her as very tall and very thin), but (Ashley and Peter) you're right, she's Australian (1) and IMHO wouldn't really bring anything to Narcissa (2). Ultimately, I would love to see Cate Blanchett in a film, even if she was just walking through a scene! I adore her! I'm a dork! lol

What about Dumbledore's brother, whose name completely escapes me right now? The sad thing is, I can't think of a lot of British actors and I know there are several out there that I'm completely missing (as far as being good as various characters). There are a few actors in Gosford Park who might be good but I don't know their names.

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Rachel i would love to see toni collett. i don't know what character she would play, but i think she is an incredible actress. i think colin firth would also make a great addition to the cast, and he could probably play anyone. i mean, if emma thompson can play trelawney that well, colin could do anything!

message 7: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Jane Toni Collette and Cate Blanchett are both incredible actresses, but still Australian. Kristen Scott Thomas could be Narcissa, she's english and I could see her capturing Narcissa's desperation. I agree that Colin Firth should be in as many movies as possible because I adore him - but I can't see who he would be in HBP or DH. He's too old to be Bill - he's the same age as the guy who plays Mr. Weasley. And regarding Dumbledore's brother - well, having read the 7th book and knowing he's the Hog's Head innkeeper, I wonder if they will use the same actor from the 5th movie - they show him shoeing out a goat, so there had to be some foreknowledge there.

message 8: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Tara | 83 comments I love Colin Firth and will see anything he's in. I'd even pay for a full price ticket to the movies just to see him read the dictionay :) LOL.

I hadn't thought of Kristen Scott Thomas. She was in Gosford Park and you're right, Jane, she would do be able to capture Narcissa's desperation. Most definitely.

message 9: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I don't know any one actresses and actors who could play the roles I imagined.No one could do it right.

message 10: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) I just thiught of a random idea. David Beckham as some person that I can't think of right now.

message 11: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 155 comments lol ryan

message 12: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) Seriously! Who could he play, the voice for creater!

message 13: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 155 comments hmm... im like blanking out.

message 14: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) yeah

message 15: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments the creator?

message 16: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) Creature, the house elf.

message 17: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments ohhhh. could he really do it?

message 18: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) I don't know? That would be so cool though!

message 19: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 270 comments lol, that would be hilarious! do you think he'd be good?

message 20: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Peter, it's so funny you mentioned Richard Griffiths for Slughorn! I thought the exact same thing as soon as I read HBP. I also was picturing Cate Blanchett as Narcissa, but I know she's an aussie. Whoever said Kristin Scott Thomas is right on..I hadn't even thought of her!

I was interested in seeing Liam Neeson (sp?) as Fenrir Greyback.

And yes, Colin Firth as ANYONE...rowr....

I don't know about Xeno Lovegood, I'll have to think on it.

message 21: by Mccaul (new)

Mccaul (ryanmccaul) I don't know if he'd be good, I want to find out though!

message 22: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Tim Curry as Rufus Scrimgeour? Eddie Izzard as Xeno Lovegood?

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) | 25 comments Bill Nighy would be great as Luna's dad. I'd love to see that.

Colin Firth would be a beautiful addition, but I can't think of any characters that he could play.

I would love Nicole Kidman as Narcissa, but she's Australian. Oh well.

Tim Curry should be in it somewhere - that'd be fantastic!