European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I posted a question like this awhile back, but I just want to get a feel for what the group wants.

I like, and I know others do as well, having the European Royalty AND the History group reads, so I'm not thinking of changing that. I'm only wondering if we should ease the pace a bit. We currently are reading two books a month (so about a book every two weeks if you read every book), which doesn't always leave room for reading much else (plus that's a lot of books to buy or try to get a hold of). Here are some ideas I've thought of, and I'd love to know your thoughts (on these ideas or your own ideas):

We could do one book a month, alternating the European Royalty and History reads (June = European Royalty, July = History, August = European Royalty, etc.);

We could keep doing European Royalty once a month (like it is), and do one History read over two months (so one history read would cover June/July, the next August/September, etc.);

We could keep the reads as they are; or

We could keep the reads as they are, but maybe work in two breaks a year (like we just had - make two of the reads span two months).

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Also, if people are interested, we could nominate books every now and then from books we have read in the past (say if we read it as a group over a year ago) - this would allow new people to discuss books they may have missed the first time, and it would give a break to others who may have already read it.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina Hi Sara,

Thanks for thinking of us! I loved your rotate every other month idea We could do one book a month, alternating the European Royalty and History reads (June = European Royalty, July = History, August = European Royalty, etc.); I'll vote for that! :)

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments No problem Tina!

The rotate every other month idea is my preference as well (I'll certainly defer to any group preference however, which is why I posted this thread to begin with!). A good amount of the History reads (at least so far) tend to hit on royalty in some manner, so a majority of the books read as a group would still fit under the title of the group. (Ha ha, I can hear some people saying "why even have the history reads?" to which I'd answer you can only discuss the Tudors and the War of the Roses so much before needing a change!)

message 4: by Conne (new)

Conne (pinkie4st) | 18 comments I'm glad you thot of this! I will do whatever the group is to do but I kinda liked the idea of the European every month & just adding a history every other. But, I'm not working so I might have more time than those of you who do. I'll do either or just cuz I enjoy you guys alot!

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments I don't read along much with the current reads because I'm still trying to catch up on all the great books this group has already done in the past so this might allow me to join in more often. I prefer the sounds of either option 1 or 2. I think throwing a couple breaks in now and then just leaves the group kind of hanging whereas options 1 and 2 just slows the pace a little.

I like the idea of revisiting books you've read in the past because I'm a newer member... but if the long term members don't like the idea, I completely understand.

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments European Royalty every month and history every other month could be a good place to start. We could always reevaluate after a few months and drop it further (rotate them each month) or bump it back up to what it is now.

I also like the idea of revisiting books from the past every now and then (maybe once or twice a year; like I mentioned, I would keep it to books we read over a year ago). I think I would only do this for the European Royalty read since that is our focus and we tackled a bunch of well known books that people may have missed out on when the group was small. I don't think I'd do that for the History read since it's such a broad category, and if we drop the history read down to every other month we won't get through nearly as many books anyway.

message 7: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Oh, just for clarification, for the revisiting a past read, I would literally make that a theme for a month (like Blast from the Past or something like that) and list the books people could nominate from so there would be no confusion. I plan on keeping the normal nominating the same - no nominating past books.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 99 comments I like option 1 or 2. I also like the idea of revisiting some that have already been read. It would be kind of fun to read some that I haven't read yet or revisit some favorties.

message 9: by Conne (new)

Conne (pinkie4st) | 18 comments I love the idea of revisiting too!

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks for all of the feedback. It's very helpful! :)

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina I've looked back over the books you all read since the group started--a lot of really good ones! Like you said, since the group has grown and therefore certainly changed dynamics, it would be neat to go back and pick up some of them again (since it's such a fun group ;-) Yay, another good idea!

message 12: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco | 30 comments I like the idea of Books from the Past. I am, also, a fairly new member and would enjoy discussing books already read with other readers.

message 13: by Sera (new)

Sera I also like the idea of revisting certain books. There are many that the group has read that I haven't been able to get to yet either.

message 14: by Brigid (new)

Brigid (sillybrigid) | 19 comments I honestly like having two reads a month. I don't always participate in both, but I enjoy the option. It expands my horizons a bit.

message 15: by Sara W (last edited Oct 16, 2010 12:58PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Do people want to continue having a general history read here? Participation has been pretty low for the last couple of history reads, so I'm wondering if we should just stick with the European Royalty reads. It seems like a lot of other groups are doing group reads now, so maybe it's best to let people go to one of the general history groups for a general history read.

I'm open to people's suggestions! If we stick with the general history read, I'll set it up so the next one will start Jan. 1st, 2011 so we aren't competing with the upcoming holidays.

message 16: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I don't take part in group reads much because I just can't keep up with them all! So, I think just one about European Royalty would be fine.

Am looking forward to and hoping to be able to participate in the Wolf Hall read :-).

message 17: by Robin (last edited Oct 17, 2010 10:08AM) (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments I don't normally read the general history ones so I wouldn't miss it too much.

I should add that I still like the group having two group reads on the go though, it gives more options to choose from so if I don't like one I might join the other.

message 18: by Brigid (new)

Brigid (sillybrigid) | 19 comments I've been slack about participating in general lately, but I tend to like the history read. I discovered one of my new favorite books that way (The Kitchen House).

message 19: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 55 comments Brigid wrote: "I've been slack about participating in general lately, but I tend to like the history read. I discovered one of my new favorite books that way (The Kitchen House)."
I agree with keeping the general history read...I also like having two options to choose from as well.

message 20: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Thanks for the input! I'll set up the nominating in a week or two for the next history read (discussion will start Jan 1, 2011 for that one).

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Sara W wrote: "I posted a question like this awhile back, but I just want to get a feel for what the group wants.

I like, and I know others do as well, having the European Royalty AND the History group reads, ..."

I like having both to choose from and if I'm busy, I just choose one to read and add the other to my "to read" list. I realize that isn't one of the choices you gave!

message 22: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Here's another maintenance question:

Do people like have multiple threads per book (Part I, Part II, Overall threads - that idea) or would people prefer just one thread per book (so the group read thread would just be The Traitor's Wife - no division of the book in any way)?

message 23: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Sara W wrote: "Here's another maintenance question:

Do people like have multiple threads per book (Part I, Part II, Overall threads - that idea) or would people prefer just one thread per book (so the group re..."

Personally I like breaking them up to avoid spoilers. That said, I haven't been participating on the group reads much lately here as my reading program has gone off in other historical directions.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Sara W wrote: "Here's another maintenance question:

Do people like have multiple threads per book (Part I, Part II, Overall threads - that idea) or would people prefer just one thread per book (so the group re..."

I prefer to have them split up to avoid spoilers as well. The thing I don't get is why there is a topic for the last parts of the book and then also one for the whole book. Both are going to have spoilers about the ending anyway and anyone who has reached the last parts will have read the rest of the book too - so isn't the topic for the last part pretty much the same as the "Overall" topic? When I'm finished the book, I'm never sure which one to post in.

message 25: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Robin wrote: "Sara W wrote: "Here's another maintenance question:

Do people like have multiple threads per book (Part I, Part II, Overall threads - that idea) or would people prefer just one thread per book (so..."

I think we came up with the "Overall" topic so there would be a thread where no one had to worry about posting spoilers (and where people could discuss anything in the book without feeling they had to fit it under Part I, Part II, etc.). It was thought to be different from the final-section-of-the-book thread because some people might be reading that part of the book (but not finished with the book yet), so they might want to discuss that part in a thread that still gave a warning as to spoilers.

That being said, if it's confusing or seems redundant, I can get rid of the "Overall" thread. That would probably be better than not creating a thread for the last part of the book.

message 26: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments FYI - We aren't getting rid of the History read, but we are dropping it down to once a quarter because of limited participation.

message 27: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments I hate mutiple threads. it just confuses newbies I can still consider myself a newbie because I see so many threads and don't know where to go. So what are we reading for now I don't think i can read anything atm because I'm reading such a big book called The Tudors The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer by G.J. Meyer G.J. Meyer and then I just picked up Exit the Actress A Novel by Priya Parmar by Priya Parmar Priya Parmar

But at one point I'd love to particpate in a group read.

message 28: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments I don't like multiple threads it confuses newbies like me. I don't know what's what then there's these multiple threads on the same book and I'm like what? and I would never be able to keep up. Another thing with nominating each month the group owner can say what country we should do then everyone can make recommendations because I think I'm tired of English Royalty. Whether it's Henry,Elizabeth, or another English monarch. So maybe we can Spanish royalty-Isabel of Castile, French- no Josephine,Buonaparte or Marie Antoniette, Balkan Royalty needs to be looked at here PLEASE!!!!!! It's lacking in about everything I ever read. I love my Balkans.

message 29: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Krystal wrote: "I hate mutiple threads. it just confuses newbies I can still consider myself a newbie because I see so many threads and don't know where to go. So what are we reading for now I don't think i can re..."

Everything we are currently reading (or any up coming reads) are located at the top of the main group page right under the description of the group and right above the discussion threads (pretty much look right above this thread on the group's main page). I think the title is literally called "currently reading", and it shows a picture of the books and the dates when they are being discussed. It's probably the easiest way to keep an eye on what the group is discussing without having to look at all the threads.

Also, there is a thread on the group main page (should be the first one and probably right above this thread) called "Guide to the Group" or something similar, and it explains all the different threads. That should help you get a feel for how the group is organized. There are a lot of threads, so I can understand that it might be a little overwhelming at first!

message 30: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Krystal wrote: "I don't like multiple threads it confuses newbies like me. I don't know what's what then there's these multiple threads on the same book and I'm like what? and I would never be able to keep up. Ano..."

We do try to branch out from English royalty. The problem is there just aren't very many currently published and/or easy to get books out there to choose from! Even something like German/Austrian royalty, which seems pretty broad, doesn't have many books out there (at least the last time I tried that theme). I will definitely try to make a theme that would include the Balkans in the near future, but it will probably need to be a broader nominating topic than just Balkans.

That being said, I'll start a general Balkan royalty thread for you where you and like minded people can discuss Balkan royalty without it being tied to a group read. It will be under the main header "European Royalty".

message 31: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments OK sounds like a plan I can definitely look here on good-reads, my local library and chapters and see what I can come up with. My only problem with English is I don't know who was king/queen after Elizabeth named the Scottish king as her successor. That's a gap in my knowledge.

message 32: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Apr 18, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments Krystal wrote: "OK sounds like a plan I can definitely look here on good-reads, my local library and chapters and see what I can come up with. My only problem with English is I don't know who was king/queen after ..."

James VI of Scotland became James I of England. His successor was his son, Charles I.

message 33: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments so what's the next book then?

message 34: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Krystal - I, personally, haven't read anything that was JUST about Charles I. He had a very interesting reign...he just wasn't a very interesting person! He was actually canonized after his death - if that gives you an idea of how boring he was!
I imagine there are plenty of books out there about him - I just don't know of any off the top of my head.
I'm sure Sara can tell you a Plaidy book about Charles I - the only one I know of is Myself, My Enemy (recently republished as Loyal in Love) about Henrietta Maria, his wife.

Now his son, Charles II, was interesting! I've read several about him - many with a backstory about Charles I. If you like misbehaving royalty, Charles II is one of the best :)

Here's a link to a wiki page that I reference quite often - it's a list of all the English Monarchs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

message 35: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I think the only Plaidy book with Charles I really being featured is Myself, My Enemy about Henrietta Maria (the one Mandy mentioned). Plaidy does have one that takes place around James I reign (The Murder in the Tower) which I'm sure mentions Charles, but not him as king. I remember thinking there was a weird gap in Plaidy's books at that point (considering how Plaidy covered everything).

This is the Plaidy website I always go to for the order of her books: http://jeanplaidy.tripod.com/id18.htm

It is pretty much chronological which is helpful.

message 36: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments ok so what book are we exploring next. and yea I looked up wiki yesterday. it gave me a bit of an idea.

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments You mean what's the next group read? You can see on the groups front page what we are reading now and what's coming up next. Also keep an eye on the nominating topics if you want to nominate anything yourself or vote on what to read next.

message 38: by Krystal (last edited Apr 19, 2011 04:28PM) (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments I see that it's the constant princess and it's a book I've already read. If I take it from the library again my mom is going to say 1)haven't u already read that book before and 2)your so boring lol. so she probably wouldn't be too pleased. and if I read the same book again it does give that mystery of what is going to happen. I've read it so i might accidentally give away a spoiler to someone who hasn't read it.

and I just got Exit the Actress A Novel by Priya Parmar by Priya Parmar which is about Charles II and how he takes a Portuguese Infanta Catherine.

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments If you notice, the group read discussions are broken down into sections of the book so if you only post in the topic about the end of the book, no one will read it until they are ready. It's set up this way to purposely avoid spoilers.

message 40: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Goodreads has also added a spoiler tag feature. Just above the comment box you'll see the (some html is ok). Copy the spoiler tag option and type your comment in between. Then other commenters are warned that there's a spoiler and they have to click on it to see it. Like this.

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Quick question about the Group Reads:

Do people still enjoy having a group read once a month, or would they prefer to have a group read that spans two months (so essentially a group read every other month)? I'm just wondering if people would have more time to participate if the group reads were spread out more.

message 42: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments In another group im in they spread it out i think and they give the title of the bookin advanced so ppl have a chance to order it

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 12 comments I would prefer a read that spans two months. I always seem to be playing 'catch-up'. I'm just starting Lionheart now. ;)

message 44: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Lisa wrote: "I would prefer a read that spans two months. I always seem to be playing 'catch-up'. I'm just starting Lionheart now. ;)"

Yeah, that's my situation as well.

message 45: by Destiny (new)

Destiny | 51 comments I like the once a month. I'm a fast reader so two months to me would seem like forever but I can understand that some people need the additional time.

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) I like the two month read. Seems like at the beginning of the month I'm always already in the middle of some books and by the time I get them finished the time has flown by and I've missed the read!!

message 47: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 19 comments Hi I don't normally participate in the group reads because I am a busy person and a slow reader. I usually also don't have enough time to source the book. I often do read the books at a later date and then look back at all the group read comments though. I they were every other month with more notice to get the chosen book I would try and join in more :-)

message 48: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I like the idea of every group read spanning two months. I read a lot of books outside of this genre, so that would give me more time to keep up here.

I also like the idea of a "blast from the past" read once or twice a year.

message 49: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I think we'll drop it down to one book over two months then. I'll start the nominating threads earlier, so there will be more time to get the book. Hopefully this will make the discussions more active.

For Destiny (and others) who get through a lot more books, if you happen to be reading a book that you would love to discuss here, you could post a thread for the book under the European Royalty Discussions, General History Discussions, or Other Discussions and ask if anyone would like to discuss it. If you're not sure how to create a thread, you can send me a message here at goodreads with the title and author, and I can set up the thread for you.

message 50: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I've been working my way through older OOPs that I've picked up over the years, and haven't been reading much newer fiction. Not much royalty related either. I still lurk the discussion threads though.

« previous 1