What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Where The Elf King Sings
This topic is about Where The Elf King Sings
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Vietnam and alcoholism [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Diane | 12 comments A YA book about a girl who lives with her mom and little brother. I think she's about 11 or 12? Her dad became the town drunk after getting back from Vietnam, which the girl doesn't understand. She doesn't have friends because of her dad, but is befriended by the town witch, the stereotypical eccentric who lives in the scary house on the hill. The woman also helps the girl's father by bringing him hot soup when he's too drunk to take care of himself, etc. The woman gives the girl a Macedonian coin as a good luck charm (?) and in the end is able to help the family reconcile.

message 2: by Cathy (last edited May 02, 2011 07:40AM) (new)

Cathy (lltoo) | 143 comments I know this one is ancient, but I think I've solved it! Where the Elf King sings, Scholastic paperback title was A Stranger in the Family by Judie Wolkoff. The hardcover has a picture of a girl as well as a "haunted" house and a couple of soldiers:

Description: Deeply disturbed by his Vietnam experiences, 12-year-old Marcie's father drinks heavily and terrorizes his family.

From Google Books, the search inside the book for Stranger in the Family reveals two hits on the word Macedonian, both connected with a coin, and a mention of a lady taking soup to the father.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21725 comments Mod
Diane, does that sound right?

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Sent off a PM to Diane. She was still active as of last month, so I'm thinking we might have a chance of getting her to answer. The problem with the posts that are computer generated by GR is--a lot of people don't reset their email programs and the email telling them that they have a message gets tossed. And if they don't come in and check with that original post--they get no more messages about people posting in their thread.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 12 comments I think that's it!! Sorry, as I posted this like 6 years ago I didn't think that anybody would find it and I myself had forgotten about it. Thank you so much!!!