Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow, #7)
This topic is about Traitor's Knot
Wars of Light and Shadow > Traitor’s Knot: Roll call: Planning to read, reading or have read ?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Traitor's Knot by Janny Wurts is the seventh novel in the series 'War of Light & Shadow'. Post here if you plan to read this novel, are reading or have already read.

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Read twice. On my list for a 3rd reading.

message 3: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Own this as well, will read them in order.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Me, too!

Jeff Watson | 46 comments I read this a while ago.

message 6: by Jeanne (new) - added it

Jeanne (jeannekc) Planning to read, I have all the books on my shelf ready and waiting!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I think I'll be finishing Grand Conspiracy soon, so I'll be moving on to this one.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I'm a book behind Amelia, working through Fugitive Prince on a reread, but I'll be here eventually for my 2nd time through.

message 9: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments Amelia wrote: "I think I'll be finishing Grand Conspiracy soon, so I'll be moving on to this one."

Don't forget Peril's Gate...

message 10: by Amelia (last edited Aug 06, 2010 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments You're right. I posted in the wrong area. I'll get to this one, but I will need to read Peril's Gate first. The funny thing is that last night when I went to grab the next book, I grabbed this one first. Then I realized this was the wrong one. I'll be starting Peril's Gate soon.

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Amelia wrote: "You're right. I posted in the wrong area. I'll get to this one, but I will need to read Peril's Gate fisrt. The funny thing is that last night when I went to grab the next book, I grabbed this o..."

Ouch, yeah, you don't want to get these out of sequence! Once, one of my editors got a chapter out of sequence in the e-mail turn in of a manuscript; made a mess of her perceptions.

Though I've heard from at least one reader who STARTED with Peril's Gate - it worked....she went back and read the prequels from there...amazing.

message 12: by Siv (new)

Siv (minnea) As of now I have 200 pages left of this one, the first time I'm reading it. Will probably take me this week to finish.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Siv wrote: "As of now I have 200 pages left of this one, the first time I'm reading it. Will probably take me this week to finish."

Welcome, Siv. You're ahead of most of us right now. I'm almost to the end of a reread of Grand Conspiracy. I think Amelia is reading Peril's Gate. The group is reading Fugitive Prince; discussing Warhost of Vastmark. We read the book one month; discuss it the next.

message 14: by Siv (new)

Siv (minnea) Sandra aka Sleo wrote:
Welcome, Siv. You're ahead of most of us right now. I'm almost..."

Yes, I realize that... but I was ahead already when I discovered this group, and I just can't wait to see what happens.

Good to know what book you are discussing right now. I'll try to keep from spoilers if I decide I have anything to contribute in the discussions. ;)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Siv wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote:

Yes, I realize that... but I was ahead already when I discovered this group, and I just can't wait to s..."

I figured you had figured it out. I just felt bad because the discussion is so quiet right now and wanted you to know someone is reading your posts, LOL!

And, having read the books through once, I have had a hard time remembering what happened in what book!

message 16: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Siv wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote:

Yes, I realize that... but I was ahead already when I discovered this group, and I just can't wait to s..."

Hey Siv - welcome back, and thanks for diving back in. You won't (likely) be able to pause when Traitor's Knot ends, because the convergency for Arc III is well underway in that volume, and Stormed Fortress is all denouement and payoff for the build that began with Fugitive Prince.

We have topics up for Traitor's Knot and for Stormed Fortress, so do feel free to jump in and put up your first impressions. Others will join in as they get there, too.

The forums are pretty much in August Doldrums - not just here - this is vacation time for some, and readying for back to school for others, so it's often quiet at this time of year.

message 17: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Siv wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote:

Yes, I realize that... but I was ahead already when I discovered this group, and I just can..."

Sandra - you have that hard time because the series, really, is designed as one big story. ;)

message 18: by Siv (new)

Siv (minnea) Janny wrote: ...You won't (likely) be able to pause when Traitor's Knot ends, because the convergency for Arc III is well underway in that volume, and Stormed Fortress is all denouement and payoff for the build that began with Fugitive Prince.

We have topics up for Traitor's Knot and for Stormed Fortress, so do feel free to jump in and put up your first impressions. Others will join in as they get there..."

Oh, well.... Whew. What an ending. I was really very worried there for a while.

I've just finished and - you're right. No way I can stop here. Good to have next one at hand, because there really isn't any pause at all between them.

I'll try to sort out my impressions, and get them down. But I think I need to sleep on it first. ;)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Absolutely! Definitely need to sleep on it.

message 20: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments If you can sleep -- ;)

message 21: by Siv (new)

Siv (minnea) Janny wrote: "If you can sleep -- ;)"

Ha!
I stopped an slept several times in the middle of the last books, so you really think this was a problem?
I slept very well. Probably emtional exhaustion or something ;)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Siv wrote: "Janny wrote: "If you can sleep -- ;)"

Ha!
I stopped an slept several times in the middle of the last books, so you really think this was a problem?
I slept very well. Probably emtional exhaustio..."

:D

message 23: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Well, grin, Siv has been very quiet...

message 24: by Siv (new)

Siv (minnea) Janny wrote: "Well, grin, Siv has been very quiet..."

Oh no. I've been busy chasing my kids *g*. I'd not call that quiet.

And if you browse around, you'll see I've written some too.... Some thoughts about TK is up, and I discovered there probably are som s'Ahelas left on Dascen Elur.

message 25: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Siv wrote: "Janny wrote: "Well, grin, Siv has been very quiet..."

Oh no. I've been busy chasing my kids *g*. I'd not call that quiet.

And if you browse around, you'll see I've written some too.... Some thoug..."

Cheers to the rug rats, and hats off to you! Parenting and These Books - you are wonder woman. ;)

And you posts are priceless.

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Now I can say that I've truly started this one. I didn't skip Peril's Gate. I would have missed out on a lot if I had.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Boy, that's for sure!

message 28: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Amelia wrote: "Now I can say that I've truly started this one. I didn't skip Peril's Gate. I would have missed out on a lot if I had."

I have heard of one person who started the series with Peril's Gate and oriented from there - but truly, I am glad you read these in order!!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Now I can say that I've truly started this one. I didn't skip Peril's Gate. I would have missed out on a lot if I had."

I have heard of one person who started the series with Peri..."

Wow, that must have been one astute reader. I can't imagine what it would be like to start from there. It would definitely make a unique perspective from the very start.

message 30: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Amelia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Now I can say that I've truly started this one. I didn't skip Peril's Gate. I would have missed out on a lot if I had."

I have heard of one person who started the ..."

Unique perspective is right - but actually, Peril's Gate is one long chase scene, so I'd think it would deliver on its own. I just never planned for an entry point, there.

message 31: by John (new)

John | 137 comments Okay, I've finished Peril's Gate and Traitor's Knot has arrived from ILL. I've started it and will slowly make my way through--I just couldn't wait for the group! And anyway, between work and parenthood, I'll probably move at such a glacial pace that the group will all catch up to and pass me anyway!

message 32: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments John wrote: "Okay, I've finished Peril's Gate and Traitor's Knot has arrived from ILL. I've started it and will slowly make my way through--I just couldn't wait for the group! And anyw..."

Let's see how long the 'glacial pace' of your reading lasts, John - the series, at this point is into convergency - good luck putting on the brakes!!! ;)

message 33: by John (new)

John | 137 comments Well, obviously the fact that I can't wait doesn't speak well for my self-discipline when it comes to this series, so it's probably safe to say that work may suffer more than reading time. :)

Plus Traitor's Knot looks to thin compared to... pretty much the rest of the series, and when you add that to how the action is speeding along... yeah, I'll probably finish this weekend. :D

message 34: by John (new)

John | 137 comments Or I'll spend a month on it! Finished yesterday and will gradually start posting about it.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Oh, good. I was planning on trying to wake up the discussion on Wednesday. I'm going to reread as I comment.

message 36: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments John wrote: "Or I'll spend a month on it! Finished yesterday and will gradually start posting about it."

Hi John, great to have you along!

Alissa | 52 comments Starting today. After the stunning ending of Peril's Gate, it's like an addiction.

message 38: by Stuart (new) - added it

Stuart (asfus) | 16 comments will read at some point

Alissa | 52 comments Stuart wrote: "will read at some point"

Very very good stuff. Peril's Gate is full of unveilings and shifted my perspective and it's totally fast-paced. I was glad anyway I'm reading this series seamlessly, so my memory of the earlier books is fresh, because there are lots of connections/revelations. This is seriously a series you need to start at book 1 and move onwards. Looking forward to what Traitor's Knot has in store :)