Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > A new series discussion?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I'm posting this a bit hesitantly (for reasons I'll explain below), but anyway, here goes...

Who would be interested in another series discussion, covering an entire SF or fantasy series, similar to the one about the Miles Vorkosigan series that's wrapping up this month? As a reminder (and for the benefit of newer members), we'd cover one book per month, starting on the 15th of every month (to avoid overlap with the "regular" Books of the Month). The books would most likely be discussed in publication order. I'd set up a dedicated folder for the discussion, so all the discussion topics for every book would remain available for people jumping into the discussion at a later stage. If this goes forward, we'll do a round of nominations, and then polls, similar to what we do for our other book selections.

The reason I'm hesitant... well, frankly, setting this up involves some work on my part. I'm pretty much the only active moderator now, and due to some non-SF&F related thingies, my life is insanely busy right now, to the point where I've already had to drop a project I was very excited about. I haven't even been able to read the last few Vorkosigan books to join in those discussions!

So! I'd be happy to organize another one of these series discussions... provided we have sufficient interest. If there are only a couple of people reading along, I'd rather not go through the trouble. I'd also be open to changing the format of the discussion, if anyone has suggestions or ideas. And finally, if this happens, and the person who nominated the winning series is interested, maybe that person can help out by keeping the discussion going and reading the books and posting topics and so on...

Please post a note here if you'd be up for another Beyond Reality Series Discussion. If there's enough interest, I'll start a separate topic for nominations later on.

Stefan

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I'm definitely up for another series. Without this group, I would never have discovered Miles! :)

message 3: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 847 comments I'm game for another series discussion. I should even have time to start reading again once the current project here at work is finished (hopefully by the end of this month). :)

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I'm in. Even though I sorta fell out of the Miles conversation, I do intend on reading the books.

message 5: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments It would depend on the series for me but I would probably participate. I loved Miles but didn't have time during the semester but since it is summer I think I could at least start.

message 6: by Candiss (last edited May 19, 2010 06:27PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I joined this group when folks were already deeply into the Miles series, and I just didn't feel like I could catch up while keeping up with other challenges and real life, so I never dived in. I would be interested in getting involved in a series discussion from the beginning, depending upon the series.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3277 comments Mod
I, too, would never have discovered Miles without the nudge from the group discussion of the series. I have yet to read the current book but I will before the end of the month.

Having said that, I don't want to add to Stefan's plate at a time when it's overflowing, and I also know that I'm not willing to step in myself.

Maybe a solution is to "rest" a bit, choose a new series discussion after a few months, and then start with the discussions after that.

I liked having the whole series discussion in one folder.

So, I probably would join a series discussion and I'm in favor of having one, but only if it truly is feasible for the moderator (or if some other people volunteer to be moderators with Stefan).

message 8: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I'd go for a series discussion - I'd volunteer to help, too. (when my current deadline is done, though, and depending on the series.)

It's rare to have the chance to look at an entire sequence - worth the effort, definitely, that's my thought.

message 9: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I would be game for a series, also. If needed, I would be happy to help with discussions.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottywc) | 5 comments I was looking forward to another series. I've read all the books (including Falling Free) except the last book - which I'm still waiting for at the library. I'd also volunteer to help if there were a task or something that needed to be done. Scott

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I'll help as well.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I like reading a series and I like finding new ones, but I don't post a lot. I think if Stefan is overloaded and Janny, Mawgojzeta, Scott and Chris are willing to help out, then go ahead and have them help. Tap this naural resource.

I think we all appreciate what Stefan is doing by having this group, and any help we can get him is a good thing.

message 13: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 50 comments I am game for another series. I think you did a great job picking the Miles series.

message 14: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2314 comments Mod
I'm definitely game for another series. I'd heard about the Miles books here and there, but probably never would have picked them up if not for this group... I'm often hesitant to start long series, but at the same time I love reading them!

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) I vote yes - I would love to read another series. Selection of the Miles books by this group was the first time I had read any of them. I unfortunately did not participate in many of the group discussions, but that was my fault - I liked them so much that I read them straight through, and was done with them months in advance of the group.

I will try to stay on track with the group more with the next selection, that will help me to join into the discussions.

message 16: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 50 comments Stefan, its one of the great things about this website when we can introduce new books and authors to new audiences. You should take that as a big deal.

message 17: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I do, Jeffrey. That's one of the main reasons why I've spent so much time keeping this group going for all these years.
I just wanted to see if enough people were interested in another series discussion - and if the general rule holds that when one person posts, five others read along, we might be okay to set up another one.
It looks like no one had any issues with the format of the last one, so we'll stick with that. Since this group always balances SF and fantasy, and our first series was SF, I'd love to see a fantasy series for the next one, but as usual we'll leave it up to the votes.
I'll set up a separate topic for nominations later on.