What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wizard's Hall
This topic is about Wizard's Hall
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Boy at a magical school - not Harry Potter [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anika (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Anika Okay, you all might be the only ones who can help me with this.

Years ago I read a book about a boy, British I think, who goes to a magical boarding school. The paintings talk and move, the ceilings in the rooms had constellations on them that spoke their names if you pointed at them, and he had one good girl friend, named Marigold I think, and one boy. I remember too that the school assigned you a name based on your true characer - the boy was Thornmallow, because he was kind and soft inside but tough outside.

I would love to find this book again, especially to compare it with Harry Potter because of the odd similarities, but haven't been able to find anything on it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

message 2: by Jonnynsb (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Jonnynsb | 15 comments I think your book is "Wizard's Hall" by Jane Yolen

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37356 comments Mod
Anika has left the group. Can anyone else, or multiple people, confirm that "Wizard's Hall" matches Anika's description?

message 4: by Troubletail (last edited Sep 07, 2016 05:58PM) (new) - added it

Troubletail | 18 comments Wizard's Hall was one of my favorite books as a kid and I vividly remember the scenes Anika mentions. One or two details are a little different, but I'm absolutely certain that it's the one she had in mind.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37356 comments Mod
Great. Calling this solved.