Outlander Series discussion

Scottish Fun! > What would you bring with you if you could go through the stones?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Robin (last edited May 05, 2010 01:52PM) (new)

Robin (mnmover) | 68 comments I have many times sat & thought, what would I take with me if I could go threw the stones & join Claire & Jamie. So, I thought maybe it would be fun to see what everyone would bring from 2010 back with you to 1770's.
Let's say you have to be able to fit it in a medium size make-up bag or do you think it should be a backpack? You can remove packaging, crush, roll, squeeze, whatever you want as long as it will fit into the bag.

message 2: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments I'd cash in everything I own and convert it all into jems that can be reversed back to cash after I get there. Why Claire didn't do that her second trip back I never understood. She was a doctor, she could have managed more that the peanut butter and jelly sandwhich that she took and still left Bree well off. A decent toothbrush, the largest bottle of cologne that fits in whatever I'm allowed to take and a razor. If I could find a history book on that time period that fits into the bag I think that might be good to reference. Is my bag full yet?

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (mnmover) | 68 comments This is what I'd bring if I only can bring a small bag. (I think LOL)

A 5 N 1 tool (it has a compass,knife,screwdriver,pen & pliers & it folds in half)
4 rolls of dental floss minus the plastic outside.
1/2c. of crushed tylenol 1/2c. penicillin
Photos of family & friends
Needles, thread, & suture thread
2-3 tubes of triple antibiotic gel
A sm.bottle of alcohol

message 4: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Are you planning on a serious accident? Just kidding, you are going more prepared that I was. The other thing that I couldn't understand, why didn't Claire bring with her immunizations for Jamie?

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Lots and lots of money, toothbrush, photos and probably and Swiss army knife.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 35 comments Toothbrush and those little things for your monthly visit from Mother Nature -as many as I could stuff in the bag!

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly | 9 comments Good point, Dorothy! You'd think she'd have thought of that. Although, Jamie's nine lives are typically ticked off through torture, accidents and fights rather than by illness.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (mnmover) | 68 comments I also never understood what Claire was thinking the 2nd time she went threw the stones. I would have brought wayyyy more gold or silver,gems whatever, she could have brought more penicillin than she did & needles thread (she had known how "accident" prone Jamie was. So much of that I never understood. Also, Bri didn't think about it & either did Roger! Kind of nuts considering they're Dr,Professor, whatever Bri was.
I guess I was thinking things that would help with illness, injuries & things that will help me survive. LOL I didn't even think of toothbrush! But my floss is mandatory & can be used as a snare,fishing line & to tie off things. I had a hysterectomy so don't need the female things, LOL if your done having kids & your going "back", schedule your hyster before you go, then you never have to worry about getting PG or the period! HAHA I was however thinking about M&M's if you bought the big bag & ate only 2 or 3 a day or every other, how long would they last?? haha

message 9: by Heather (last edited May 05, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

Heather | 120 comments I think this is a really creative thread Robin. I have to put some thought into it before I actually post my survival kit ideas. It does crack me up that us ladies naturally think of toothbrushes and razors. I just have to say compasses ladies! And matches! Have we not learned anything? :p

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments The things i would take with me through the stones would be a few flints stones, a reel of fishing line, a packet of hooks, a bag of peppercorns, Swatches of my & my husbands tartan & a group photo of family & friends.

message 11: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments I thought of the compass, but knowing where NSE&W is isn't going to help me decided which way to go. So I want to add to my list an 18th century map of scotland.
I say we form our own coven of Druids and go through the stones together. We just missed Beltane but Midsummer Day is coming in about 6 weeks. Does any one remember when the MacKenzie clan Gathering was? Can we make it? See ya all there!

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Dorothy wrote: "I thought of the compass, but knowing where NSE&W is isn't going to help me decided which way to go. So I want to add to my list an 18th century map of scotland.
I say we form our own coven of ..."

Im game! sign me up! :)

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 35 comments Me, too!

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin (mnmover) | 68 comments Hey I'm there for sure!! We definitely need to get our sh*t together & pack our survival kits! Ohh & please, lets not all pack the same things! LOL i can just imagine we get there & have 10 fishing lines, 10 toothbrushes, 10 tampon boxes & nothing else! HAHA
OHH if only we could!! Almost makes me want to cry!! I guess the best we can do is all meet at some Highland games & pretend!

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 120 comments Don't forget me! I will go too!

Ah ha!!! I got it. A cloak with water proof lining! And poncho’s for all!

message 16: by Lady (new)

Lady England | 91 comments Ha...could you imagine a group of 20 or so modern women in 18th Century Scotland all on the search for the infamous Jaime. What a hilarious scandal we would cause. I'm thinking that we would all be a little too independent for our own good and scare off half the villages. Probably end up being burnt at the stake. Those wiley witches you know...

message 17: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Lady wrote: "Ha...could you imagine a group of 20 or so modern women in 18th Century Scotland all on the search for the infamous Jaime. What a hilarious scandal we would cause. I'm thinking that we would all ..."

lol aye we nae doot wid. think i might jist stand a wee chance of blending in. tee hee

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele | 14 comments Hmmm, let's see...
I'll bring my SCA dresses and cloaks (not very "period" for the Eighteenth Century, but it's better than showing up in T-shirt and jeans! LOL)
Modern First Aid kit

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele | 14 comments Chantal wrote: "I'm wearing my Renaissance Faire clothes (stomacher, gathered skirts, long chemise, and white cap.) Yes! It would matter A LOT what we wore, no? I've often mused about possible reactions if I were..."
I guess we'd have to find a costume store, look through the stock to find some Regency garb, then get into it before we went through the stones.
At least we'd be prepared! :)

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (mnmover) | 68 comments Well, I for one refuse to wear a corset!!!! I don't care what stake they want to tie me to it's not happening!! HAHA Everything else isn't so bad. If I'm going back in "todays" fashion, might as well go all the way, aye?? I'm wearing a good pair of hiking boots, they're warm in the winter, cool in the summer & water proof to boot! (Wha WHA WHA!!) Next, good sturdy jeans, hunting jeans (like Carhartts) are what I'm picking. Tuff & comfy, works for me! AAhh for shirts, first it's going to be my Spartacus Blood & Sand Tee (because it's may fav & next to Jamie, Spartacus is my yummy honey). then I need a hoody, so that may as well be another gently worn but ohhh so comfy & warm is my Lynyrd Skynard hoody. Now for a jacket, I may as well go with my Columbia, because as we all know~~~~~~~it's the 3in1 Jacket system LOL but it will be handy & I won't have to bring a spring & fall jacket! HAHA just throw in a baseball no one of the knit hats with the brim on them, good sheep's wool lined leather chopper mits, a belt, good heavy duty pair of socks, ohh what the heck, I'll be girly girl & wear lacy bra & panties!!! LOL now I'm set

message 21: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments I happen to be a seamstress and volunteer to make our little coven of Druids proper 18th century clothes for whoever would like me to. (I think our little coven needs a name) This is also something that I thought long and hard over. How could I improve the clothes without changing the style. I came up with lining the cape with a removable lambs fleece. Of course the fabrics today are already an improvement. Zippers and velcro might be explained as inventions from the colonies that haven't caught on in Europe yet. Many, many hidden pockets. Making the skirts culottes for riding horses. Lots of removable frilly stuff so that you can take the everyday outfit and add ribbon, bows and lace here and there and be ready for "Hall". (Less to pack you see) And of course I will make us all matching back sacks with our coven of druids name embroidered on them. Any other ideas?

message 22: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Oh Dorothy! That sounds great. I can sew too so I will volunteer to help you! I may throw in my Uggs...I absolutely love them and though they aren't waterproof they are sooooo warm and cozy! I think I would definitely take a 3 month supply of my meds (thats all I can get at one time), I wouldn't mind stays at all...probably help my bad upper back where I have a degenerating disc, definitely have to go get my eyebrows tatooed on since the older I get the whiter and thinner they are, maybe get the whole gamut of permanent makeup so I won't look like someone dying by degrees because of my fair skin, white hair...hey I could be a White Lady!. Lets see, I think I'd take some pictures of what some of the cities of Scotland look like today...just to scandalize them! Ha! And maybe some pictures of Gerard Butler to show around to see if anyone knows of a guy who looks anything like him.....sigh.....especially if said guy wears a kilt. Hot dang! I better quit before I give myself a hot flash!

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 120 comments Sharonh wrote: "Oh Dorothy! That sounds great. I can sew too so I will volunteer to help you! I may throw in my Uggs...I absolutely love them and though they aren't waterproof they are sooooo warm and cozy! I th..."

LMAO!

message 24: by Lady (new)

Lady England | 91 comments See...I'm sure we'd be burned at the stake. I, for one, would refuse to wear the white kerchif hat that Claire hates to wear; instantly being assumed as a wonton woman. And all the waterproof, breek wearing, hiking boots, tampon toting women would instantly be assumed to be a coven of witches. The pictures of future Scotland would probably doom us all. It's a fun thought though. Imagine we're on the DG tour of Scotland and end up going through the stones together. I'd be in big trouble. Don't sew and can't cook without a microwave or refrigerator and really grouchy without a hot daily shower.

message 25: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments LOL Lady! I used to be a great cook but after the kids grew up and left home and it is just my hubby and me....I burn everything or over/under season everything. I am a total disaster in the kitchen now. Guess I don't like cooking anymore..but I DO like to eat. LOL. I am pretty good on the grill though so maybe I could help keep us fed over a campfire...after someone else lit the fire! :) I wouldn't wear that ugly cap either or kerchief...whatever its called....I think that was an idea of the men who wanted "their" women to look ugly to the other men! Though my hair is almost all white now...I get lots of compliments from men and women alike about how pretty it is...so I ignore comments from my daughter that I should color it. I think I might catch me a highlander even at my age...hah...maybe a Duncan Inness or a Farquard Campbell...God...perish the thought....guess I could keep my eyes shut....he probably would have to too after losing all you other babes to the "young highlanders"!

message 26: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah, I'd need that hot bath every day too! I don't do "stinky" very well.

message 27: by Mairicat (new)

Mairicat | 53 comments Weeelll, I guess I am not as brave as all of you. I would wear period dress, complete with cap because I don't want to be burned at the stake! The garments would have to be of "high quality" so no one would think I'm a loose woman wandering in a daze near the stones. And, we would have to have our stories ready. I think I would be the wife of a minor nobleman who discovered that he has a young mistress, and I threatened to expose him to his mother (who is rich and adores me and he is her sole heir, and he is afraid of her). So he drugs me (only enough to make me groggy), and takes me out in the boonies and first tries to set me on fire (would explain the singe marks), but I get away and roll on the ground to put the flames out, then he jumps on me and smothers me and leaves me for dead. I don't want him to find me of course so off I go with the first big and ruggedly handsome highlander who comes along. I look a little like Claire I think - the same height with longish brown curly hair, and I could keep this Scot in my bed! Think my story would fly?? Anyone else have a story ready?

message 28: by Sharonh (last edited May 12, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah Mairicat, it'll fly..especially the part about keeping him in your bed....they seem to like beds...when they aren't being heroes and fighting! Uh huh! I forgot about getting singed...we better not wear anything but cotton or linen cause polyester will melt to our skin and that would hurt...not to mention make us look ugly.... :)

message 29: by Mairicat (new)

Mairicat | 53 comments Ouch, good point. No to ugly polyester, and yes to beds. He would marry me first of course... :) And we would bathe in the icy loch every day because I don't like stinky either.

message 30: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments LOL...he'd have to have a great big iron pot to heat water for me to bathe in! I don't like cold baths! 'Course then, he'd have to warm me up after a cold bath....better rethink the hot bath....I like snuggling!

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments I wouldn't go. 18th century? With the smelliness and disease? And I'd probably end up appearing before a guy who had no teeth and wanted me to work the farm. Forget that! I'll stick with A/C and clean beds and cars. Not to mention antibiotics and cancer treatments.

Although I can't imagine why Jamie had such good teeth for all those years before Claire. There had to be some cavaties in there somewhere.

message 32: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Spoilsport! LOL!

message 33: by Sharonh (last edited May 19, 2010 07:51AM) (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments LOL! Like Renee, I'd probably end up with an old geezer like Arch Bug....but the romantic in me says "Maybe not!" Rotten teeth....eeeeewwwww...nasty! Maybe Jamie's kin taught him how to chew a stick and make himself a tooth brush...surely they could tell when their teeth needed cleaning? I can't imagine why or how people could go so long without bathing! I can't go to sleep without a hot bath...I have been known (when I can't sleep from the arthritis pain or just feeling rotten) to get up in the middle of the night and get in a hot bath with the whirlpool whirling...just to relax. I'd definitely miss my whirlpool....but my man might stir the water for me??? :) HaHa....like Jamie told Claire "I don't hurt when ye love me". Oooooeeeeee!

message 34: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Dorothy wrote: "Spoilsport! LOL!"

Hehehe, I'm too practical for my own good. :) After all Jamie Fraser is taken. I think he may have been the one Scot who still had good teeth at 23. Ain't that lucky for Claire?

Besides, I think if you have to worry about what you'd bring you're not ready to leave your world behind. I think the best thing to take would be a great invention. Nothing that would get you burned at the stake, mind...but something that everyone back there would pay you to have. Once you've got money you can make or buy any of the conveniences you'd want.

message 35: by Sharonh (last edited May 21, 2010 10:08PM) (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Well, maybe we could wind up there while Claire is back here for those 20 years! Maybe 20 years would be long enough for all of us to pass him around...'course he might be worn to a frazzle by the time Claire got him back! Ya' think?

message 36: by Mairicat (new)

Mairicat | 53 comments Sharonh wrote: "Well, maybe we could wind up there while Claire is back here for those 20 years! Maybe 20 years would be long enough for all of us to pass him around...'course he might be worn to a frazzle by the ..."

No, sorry we can't change history. He only had sex twice before Leghair, remember? It was a fine thought though..

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 13, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

Having Claire's SKILLS would be a must. I would definately take a suitcase full of birth control, jewels and no less than one thousand pounds. I may consider taking cannabis seeds to plant at Lallybroch.

message 38: by Sharonh (last edited Jun 13, 2010 11:25AM) (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah Robin...maybe the cannabis would help with the arthritis pain I'd definitely be dealing with if I were to go through the stones! Don't need any birth control..been there...done that..already through menopause...so no worries there but I'd be worried about VD for sure...I'd definitely have to take some antibiotics. I'd have to have permanent makeup put on because at my age without makeup I look like a blank sheet of paper! LOL. Of course I'd have it done subtley...just a little bit of eyebrows and maybe very faint eyeliner. Nothing I can do about my white hair...but I get lots of compliments on it...so maybe it won't be too much of a problem. And, its actually not grey...it really is a pretty color of white...like my dad's hair was. Ha!

message 39: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (Sam-1) | 21 comments Hi Dorothy,

MacKenzie gathering is Aug 2nd to 8th. Unfortunately, you've missed the summer solstice for traveling through the stones! Thank goodness for airplanes huh?! I'll be at the castle (Leod) to welcome a few people.
Cheers, Samantha

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) If I'm not mistaken I believe DG based Craigh na Dun on the Clava Cairns near Inverness? I've been to the Clava Cairns (which are not on a hill) but are impressive. The only cleft was way too small to get through, but I certainly wanted to try! LOL.

Samantha, too bad Inverness is such a long trip for us. I believe Strathpeffer is the place with the shop that serves the best hot chocolate in the world?

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (Sam-1) | 21 comments CND is possibly in the right area, but it is nothing like the setting in the book. You are right, it is flat. We go to a different place that suits better. Yes, there is a good place in Strathpeffer for hot chocolate - they make it with milk (not water) and a fine grade of chocolate. I had some a few days ago. But the best place for hot chocolate is right in my own home! I was inspired many years ago by the film, "Chocolat". Another good place is Cafe Truva and another is up in Gairloch. Where are you by the way? Sam

message 42: by Gerri (new)

Gerri Edwards | 23 comments I have been at Clava Cairns that is where my picture was taken and trust me I tried to go through but nothing happen. The only thing that was missing was climbing that great big hill. I think I will just stay in the present and hope Diana keeps writing or I just keep reading til my books are all worn out from drooling.

message 43: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Samantha i am on loch long near dunoon.

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) | 59 comments Gold to sell for cash (not gems, they may be destroyed when traveling through stones.

Toothbrush
Tampons
Advil & Penicillin (and its list of ingrediants so more can be made)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

What a great thread!
I'd bring some tea, maybe fancy buttons and bits of ribbon, good quality knives, and other small things that are easy to trade. Hmm... you guys have covered so many other things! Contact lenses and solution? *lol* I wouldn't want to miss all the "sights" running around in kilts!

message 46: by Pinda (last edited Oct 05, 2010 03:52PM) (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Annie wrote: "If I'm not mistaken I believe DG based Craigh na Dun on the Clava Cairns near Inverness? I've been to the Clava Cairns (which are not on a hill) but are impressive. The only cleft was way too sma..."

I was wondering what she had based Crag na Dun on. thanks for the info.

On the matter of what i would bring, I think gold, of course, antibotics of some sort, razor, and a history book.

message 47: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments This thread got me seriously thinking of what is the most important/valuable thing in my life that I can't part with. (Well, Claire left Bree everything she owned so she didn't bring anything of value with her except a PBJ sandwich and a set of needles.) But for me this would be the point of no return so I would sell everything I own and convert them to gold or silver, toothbrushes, and my 8 year-old son.

message 48: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I agree Wan, I'd find a way to get money that can be used on the other side. And I'd find a way to take my daughter.

message 49: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Oh, and I'd probably take Outlander too, haha.

message 50: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Wendy wrote: "Oh, and I'd probably take Outlander too, haha."

Yeah, so we would be ended up with Jamie, if the law of attraction/motivation works right. LOL

« previous 1 3