Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > Tinker Tanner

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments How exactly does the song go?

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess (thereadingpublic) | 6 comments Not sure if it's ever explicitly stated, but there's a section near the start of NOTW that goes like this:

A tinker's debt is always paid:
Once for any simple trade.
Twice for freely-given aid.
Thrice for any insult made.

To be honest this doesn't feel like it's part of a song, especially a tune like Tinker Tanner. But it's related to tinkers, so...

I'm more interested in Jackass, Jackass myself :-P

message 3: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Mary (mary_believes_in_faeries) | 142 comments Mod
ZOMG! Jackass, Jackass would be hilarious!

I think the tinker quote is just an expression.

Pat has said he isn't musical so I kind of wonder if there are lyrics. On the hand, he developed the entire Modegan (sp?) currency system so he is very thorough...

message 4: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments Jess wrote: "Not sure if it's ever explicitly stated, but there's a section near the start of NOTW that goes like this:

A tinker's debt is always paid:
Once for any simple trade.
Twice for freely-given aid.
Th..."

I'm perdy sure that's just a saying.

message 5: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments Well, I feel like the pieces of Aloine and Savian. were a bit weirdly versed. and put together.

i would love to hear THAT whole thing.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess (thereadingpublic) | 6 comments Actually, I wouldn't. Somehow I just don't think a real composition would be able to match up to the expectations of the song that the book gives you.

message 7: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments Hopefully, it would.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess (thereadingpublic) | 6 comments Have you seen the Tinker Tanner Pat posted on his blog? That was pretty interesting...

message 9: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments do you have a link?

message 10: by Will (new)

Will Reeves (shnargen) | 3 comments I am fairly certain that there is no instance in which "Tinker Tanner" actually appears in verse in the book. It's appearance is merely mentioned as being sung, not demonstrated. This might be for the same reason that I think why most of Sir Savien doesn't appear in verse: because it is partially created in the reader's mind. It's like a character's face; the main points are described, and your mind is left to fill in the gaps. Personally, I enjoyed the video that Pat posted on his blog, but I do not consider that to be the Tinker Tanner that appears in the book when I read it, and i can bet that the same will be true for you.

message 11: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments i need a link!

message 13: by Brianne (last edited Oct 06, 2010 08:41PM) (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments okay. thanks. :)

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) Listened to Tinker Tanner yesterday, after discovering this thread and group! Happy to see other fans!

I'm going to figure out the song this weekend!

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Hawk (mehawk) | 66 comments This thread should live. Now that we have the boys complete verse in WMF it would be fun to see everyone (with more skill than me) that feels the urge write verse and post it. I could see why this song was Kvothe's favorte drinking song ;)