Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > I know I'm addicted to PNR because...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Courtney (last edited Apr 27, 2010 07:37PM) (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Hi, my name is Courtney, and I'm addicted to PNR.

So, I was talking to my husband last night about my reading habits and I made a horrible discovery. *sigh* I think I have a problem...

1. I get flustered and unfocused when I know my favorite author has released a new book and I can't buy it.

2. I think about reading and the characters in the books when I'm not reading them.

3. I can't sleep unless I've read (even if it's just a chapter...or two...or five...)

4. If I've had a horrid day at work I race home and only calm down once a book is in my hand.

5. I know release dates for my favorite author's new books for the next 3 months...at least.

6. I have NO interest in any other genre. What. So. Ever.

7. If I'm not currently reading a book while I have at least 2 more waiting I get nervous.

8. If I haven't read in a couple of days I get bitchy and incorrigible.

9. My husband/friends know not to interrupt me while I'm reading or they get the rolling eyes/bad attitude.

10. When I'm really into a book/series I completely forget about my body. I won't eat/drink/pee for days.

Here's hoping that there are others and I invite you all to share why you believe you are addicted. ;)

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Symko (csymko) | 16 comments Courtney wrote: "Hi, my name is Courtney, and I'm addicted to PNR.

So, I was talking to my husband last night about my reading habits and I made a horrible discovery. *sigh* I think I have a problem...

1. I get f..."

Hello there,

1. I understand what you are saying about not being able to buy the books when they come out by your author. Two of the new PNR books came out today.

2. I usually will go to the library and try to check out a couple of books to read so I don't run out and have to try to read a book of a different genre.

3. I eat my lunch at my desk at work and read my book so I am able to keep up with the story. Then I read a few chapters at night before I go to bed also.

4. I also keep up with my favorite authors and the new books that are coming out in their series and their release dates.

I am sure that there are other ones out there like us Courtney. My husband and daughter both laugh at me..

message 3: by Shirla (new)

Shirla Ghadaki (sjghadaki) | 21 comments Well, I guess I'm definitely an addict as I fit all of these descriptions. At the moment, I am BONE MAGIC by Yasmine Galenorn. Just wish other people would go away until I finish it!
Shirla

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I'm definitely an addict. I haunt the PNR groups to find new recommendations, when I have TONS books at home to read.

Jen  ~The dreamer~ | 649 comments I have a note book with a list of authors, the release dates, and series, etc.
I start collecting books on ebay and 1/2 price books when I have a million at home I haven't touched.
I have a fear that I'll run out of stuff to read, I like to be prepared lol.
I talk about my favorite characters like they are my real life friends/family.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments Those last three sound vaguely familiar, Jen. :)

message 7: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Holt (brandy11d) | 16 comments Wow, I agree with all of you. Especially about having a huge stack of books at home and still buying more!

message 8: by Toni (new)

Toni Well, I just recently discovered this genre and I am LOVING IT! My problem is I do have probably 50 books not in this genre that I already bought in the past few months and I have no desire to read them now. UGH! Maybe one day..but for now I am already planning to go out and buy new PNR books/series TODAY!
I never in a million years thought I would enjoy PNR books and always wondered what are all these dark scary book covers I keep seeing on goodreads that people rave about. Well, now I get it. LOL! :)

message 9: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments WOW, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with the problem. I suffer from all the symptoms you have listed. I have lists of release dates, get pissy if I don't have time to read, people can't talk to me if I'm reading or really in a book. If a release that I have been waiting for comes out people know not to speak to me at all. . . and I have no interest in reading any other kind of books. None.

message 10: by ☺~Tina~☺ (new)

☺~Tina~☺ (tina007) | 43 comments Hello,
My name is Tina and I'm a PNR addict (hello Tina the group sang) :)

I'm sooo with you. I really have no interest in other genres. I stumble on some, but I don't go out of my way to find them. Not like me always being on the hunt for the the next best series for PNR. I'm with you on about 8 of the 10 things you listed. I must read...everyday, even if it just a few pages.

message 11: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I always have to wait for the paperback of my 'want' list and then I get pissy if the bookshops I go to haven't got it! I go home in a sulk! Then I look at how far behind in each series I am and wonder where I'll get the time to catch up...

message 12: by Keri (new)

Keri | 50 comments Jen wrote: "I have a note book with a list of authors, the release dates, and series, etc.
I start collecting books on ebay and 1/2 price books when I have a million at home I haven't touched.
I have a f..."

I too talk about the characters as if they are real people. I get sick to my stomach if something bad has happened in the story and I am not able to continue reading until I can get to a part where things are looking up again. If I find another person who enjoys reading I drive them crazy trying to talk *books* with them. I feel put out when my kids interupt my reading with crazy things like wanting dinner or something. ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments Keri, I think I'm like you. I got a terrible migraine when I was reading Lover Avenged b/c of the whole thing with John Matthew 'acting out.'

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments I'm to the badness in LM and I'm loosing my mind...speaking of which, why am I not reading it right now?

I got a little surly with the girls at work today and I couldn't figure out why I was being so bitchy...until I picked up my book over lunch and realized I was at a really tense part between Qhuinn and Blay!! Gah!!

message 15: by Lady E. (new)

Lady E. (nightsky101) | 17 comments Jen wrote: "I have a note book with a list of authors, the release dates, and series, etc.
I have a f..."

omg i talk about the characters like their my friends too!! my friends get annoyed sometimes:p

message 16: by Niara (last edited Apr 28, 2010 02:30PM) (new)

Niara (a_far_sweet_thing) | 4 comments i'm with you on all of that except #6, I just love books period!

message 17: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) | 24 comments PNR Addict here....

1. A recovering shop-a-holic, I now spend more money on books than I do on clothes.

2. I follow my favorite authors on their blogs.

3. I turn off the t.v. so I can concentrate when I read

4. I'm totally addicted to the BDB and am constantly on the look out for "the brothers."

5. I literally got a tear in my eye on 4/27/10 when I got my e-book of Lover Mine.

6. I can never have enough books in my TBR pile (right now have over 100 and counting....)

message 18: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2940 comments Hi, my name is Lanni and I'm an PNR Addict....

1. I belong to GOODREADS.com, it's the coolest place.

2. start out my day reading 2-3 hrs on a treadmill..equates to 7-10 miles a day

3. Read my book in the parking lot instead of shopping

4. I get so loss in the characters & plots that I finished their sentences, acted out their pains...sat and cried like a baby

5. End my days with more hrs of reading. Wake up hubby after a hot & naughty passage...then go back to reading, lol.

message 19: by Inanna (last edited Apr 28, 2010 08:05PM) (new)

Inanna Mute | 16 comments I finally gave up, and bought and E-reader, because the seven (full to overflowing) bookshelves and my inability to part with a book once it enters my possession was getting unmanageable. Good thing? With the cheapness of ebooks versus regular, it pays for itself in a couple months if you're a real addict. Bad thing? I don't actually ever need to leave the house to buy the next book in a series, which means, ya know, lack of anything resembling normality until you get to the end of a series.

message 20: by Maria (new)

Maria Brown | 6 comments I'm new to PNR and my mom actually bought me a E-reader because I live in a very small town and the library really stinks!! And I don't get to the book store often it is like 200 miles. So I would buy the ebook and carry around my laptop lol!! Because I didn't want to wait for shipping. But I'm alone in the middle of no where so they are my outlet!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments I also have all the symptoms of a PNR addict.

1. Every spare minute I have a book in my hand

2. I think of the characters as real people and worry about them when they are in trouble.

3. I get nervous when I don't have atleast 2 books ready to be read.

4. When I see people on the street and wonder what character they would be in the books I am reading. This is especially bad when I am reading the BDB books.

5. My whole household knows not to talk to me when I read a book as they will either get snapped at or ignored!

6. I don't want to be rehabilitated : )

message 22: by twinfish2 (new)

twinfish2 | 84 comments I have been an addict for many many years but I am finally admitting that there is no hope of rahab for me. Two things brought me to this conclusion.

1. I was cooking fudge the other night and because you have to stir constantly I found myself stirring with the right and holding a book in my left.

2. We went away last weekend for my stepmothers 90th birthday party. I took 11 books with me. Yes I said 11. Pathetic isn't it. I mean we left on Friday afternoon and came back sunday night. And we had a family dinner on friday nite, the party on saturday and a lunch on sunday and then we left. But I just was afraid I would run out of books and no one in my family reads PR or UF.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments Lol how many of the books did you read?

message 24: by Inanna (new)

Inanna Mute | 16 comments I do the cooking/reading thing. Microwave takes 4 minutes? I take my book with me.

message 25: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Oh wow! I'm so glad I'm not alone! lol My husband is pretty sure he's the only one suffering from my addiction. Now I can tell him there are many a husband/boyfriend/family suffering just the same. ;)

I found out another symptom of my addiction today:

When I finish the most recent book in a series I fall into a pretty series depression. Yup, finished Lover Mine around 1am this morning and have been sad/belligerent all day. This will continue until I find a series of equal or greater value.

I need a new series...now.

WELCOME ALL TO THE "I'M ADDICTED TO PNR AND I DON'T FRICKIN' CARE" GROUP! :D

message 26: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 147 comments Do you think we should start a support group for our loved ones?

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments Oh, man. These all sound very familiar to me. Twinfish2, I would take that many books with me, for similar reasons as yours. It's hellish to be caught somewhere without a book!

*Here's one. I'm planning to turn down every social engagement this weekend so I can read Lover Mine, in case it comes in the mail today. I tend to say no to going out so I can use the time for reading. I'm such a hermit.

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria | 5 comments I my name is Maria and I´m a PNR addict.

I read when I eat breakfast, at lunch at work I read, if I have a few moments free in the afternoon, I read. When I drive, I listen to books. I Just looooove Phil Gigante reading KMM:s Highlander books. I read all formats I can get my hands on but some how I still like the feeling of a soft cover in my hands the best.

My hubby calls me a "torso-expert" because so many of my books have naked male chests or backs on them (like this, one of my favorites) Darkness Unknown (Paladins of Darkness, #5) by Alexis Morgan

My biggest problem is that there arn´t many places to find PNR here in Sweden, so to remedy that I started my own webpage and sell PNR books through it.

It´s no use denying it any longer. I am an addict and I love every minute of it!

message 29: by twinfish2 (last edited Apr 30, 2010 10:14AM) (new)

twinfish2 | 84 comments Suzanne wrote: "Lol how many of the books did you read?"

I read 2 of the 11. It's a good thing there was a 4 hour drive both ways which gave me lots of reading time. Which, in my opinion is the only good thing about traveling by car. What is really funny is I thought I had brought 9 and when I got there I found 2 more I had stuffed into the side pockets of my bag. I didn't even remember packing those 2. LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments You go prepared, Twinfish2. I shove books all over my bag when I travel.

message 31: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Courtney .*. Vhibrant .*. wrote: "Hi, my name is Courtney, and I'm addicted to PNR.

1. I get f..."

7. If I'm not currently reading a book while I have at least 2 more waiting I get nervous.

I slump into a depression when finishing the latest in a favorite series.

#7 is totally me.

message 32: by Courtney (last edited Apr 30, 2010 01:38PM) (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Jaime wrote: "Do you think we should start a support group for our loved ones?"

Most definitely Jaime. They need the support, especially during new book season. lol. ;)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments I am dreading finishing Lover Mine as I know I won't have another BDB for a while, so I am rereading the entire series first so it lasts longer lol

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (dejameek) | 22 comments Hi, my name is Michelle, and I am an unrepentant addict of PNR. I get irritated when I have to stop reading to eat, I regularly take books into the bathroom, and I don't get enough sleep because I "just have to finish the next chapter." At least. On a good day, I can finish 5 books in a day. I have had a lot of good days recently. My to-read list currently has 524 books on it. I have no desire to be rehabilitated.

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments Oh my goodness....all these posts describe me! lol

message 36: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Um, ok, I too belong in this group--well, except for me its just books in general. :o) I bought myself a Nook last week, because I got tired of having to lug 2 suitcases filled with books every where I go. The first day I had the Nook--loaded 450 or so ebooks onto it. Gotta love those free book sites.

I have just discovered after many many MANY years of being unable to read in a car (can we all say heaving your guts out?) that the Nook will actually LET ME READ IN THE CAR. Talk about happy dancing in the seat. :o) My daughter and grandkids almost died laughing at me when I go excited about that. Um, of course, the only person without a book in their hand at the time was the daughter--and that's only cause she was driving. SHE had her IPod plugged in with an earphone--yep, listening to a book. lol

message 37: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Er--I forgot to mention--finished reading Spider's Bite last night and almost drove myself crazy trying to find books 2 and 3 before realizing--DUH--the aren't OUT YET. #2 comes out the 24th or 25th and 3 comes out in Sept. Sigh, I hate, hate, hate waiting for new books in my series.

message 38: by Lauren (last edited May 02, 2010 07:49PM) (new)

Lauren (lrc123) | 115 comments I'm a reading addict period. But ever since reading Lover Avenged (my first ever PNR novel). I have totally, irrevocably and completely fallen in love with PNR. I am constantly on the lookout for new PNR/UF novels, and am constantly adding to my i want to read list, thanks to groups like this and other sources. When I'm in the library, if i can still take out more books, I'll walk among the shelves and scour them looking for those magic words. Paranormal Romance, and if i see one I'll immediately scoop it off the shelf, skim the back cover and if it sounds good, add it to my basket. I can well relate to the not getting enough sleep because I'm reading thing. Oftentimes I'll finish a book and I'll start a new one and I'll say to myself, I'll just read to page 100 for example and then it's two hours later and I've read to page 300. And I'm looking at the clock like oh, crap. Time to turn off the light. And on average, i usually end up leaving the library with at least one PNR/UF novel and usually more. You also know you're addicted when you start crushing on a character and fantasizing about them. I have neither a husband or boyfriend. Some of my fantasy crushes/boyfriends include. Bones fron Night Huntress. And Rhage from the BDB. And Lucas from the Claudia Gray novels. And Barrons from the Fever series. And Jace from the Mortal Instruments trilogy. PNR/UF heroes are seriously hot, and i love how they can reads minds and levitate and all that stuff. Until i find my night in shining Armani, i'll just have to be happy with Bones and my other fictional crushes. *Sigh* And until reading One Foot In The Grave, i used to associate British accents with my really stuffy, old relatives. Boy oh, boy not anymore! And i don't have any desire to be rehabilatated either. Bring on the hot, sexy, vamps, shapeshifters, fairy's, demon slayers, you name it!

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments Hello, my name is Martina and I'm a PNR addict, too.

*I have at least 100 books on my TBR bookcase.
*I read a minimum of 11 books per month despite having a 8 month baby crawling all over the place that I have to keep up with.
*I bought a B&N Nook e-reader so that I don't have to lug a bunch of books along when I travel.
*I'll read anything with a PNR element, which means I also read a lot in the UF & YA world. Even Pride & Prejudice & Zombies makes the cut!
*I'm a member of the PNR Group on Goodreads and have taken part in the monthly reading challenge almost every month since last February (including the month my baby was born!) AND I'm #7 on the leaderboard.
*I freely admit that I read PNR/UF/YA books to friends & acquaintances and try to get them to try them, too.
*I'm the "go to" person for all my friends who read PNR/UF when they need a new book suggestion.

Yes, it's an addiction, but as I frequently tell my husband . . . it's healthier than crack (if not necessarily less expensive)! ;-)

message 40: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Oh man. I love you guys. I just read most of these to my husband and he looked at me like a crazy person and said "I thought I was the only one." He's considering starting a group for, as he calls it, "The Others" lol

message 41: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 16 comments Michelle wrote: "Hi, my name is Michelle, and I am an unrepentant addict of PNR. I get irritated when I have to stop reading to eat, I regularly take books into the bathroom, and I don't get enough sleep because I ..."

Hello, my name is Alecia and I am a PNR addict...and Michelle is my new Hero/idol/role model! I will forever endeavor to be just like her, for surely reading five books in one day would be like experiencing true nirvana.

PNR books are my drug of choice and I wouldn't give up my habit for anything!

message 42: by Crazy4more (last edited May 03, 2010 07:18PM) (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2940 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm a reading addict period. But ever since reading Lover Avenged (my first ever PNR novel). I have totally, irrevocably and completely fallen in love with PNR. I am constantly on the lookout for n..."

OMG, Lover Avenged was my 1st PNR that was successfully pulled me out of Twilight madness. Rhev is my ultimate protector! I've crossed over and never looked back. I love BDB, period, but I'm reading non-stop all PNR I can get my little hands one.

...after finished...I re-read my favorite chapters!

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I read these more than my medical school books.

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura I am definitely a PNR addict as well. Yesterday I went to the library to take 2 books out (you know, to last me for 2 days) and they weren't there. One was on hold for someone else and another was missing. What???!!!! I totally freaked out trying to figure out what I was going to read! What would I do with myself?

I have actually considered getting rid of my TV too. I can barely stand to watch anything anymore. It's all so mundane compared to reading PNR!

I need help, but I don't want it! :-)

message 45: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments I agree Laura. I use to spend SO much time watching TV. I had all of my shows that I watched ritually! Now they're all piling up on the DVR.

I don't even turn the TV on when I come home...straight to the book for me! :D

message 46: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

ok, if we are going to brag about our placements on the leaderboard for the challenges. . . You know when you are tied for first place that you have a serious, serious, serious addiction, right?

oh--and when not actively reading PNR you are out cruising book sites--Amazon, B&N, Paperbackswap etc--for more books that you either don't have or that you must read. Also, when not doing either of those 2 activities (books and shopping) you are cruising GRs for more recommendations. And then, just to vary it, you go out and visit all 8 of the thrift stores in your town to see what kinds of PNR/UF/Fantasy/SciFi they might have that you can satisfy your addiction with.

message 47: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (indiaskye) While I do read other genres, too, I am definitely a PNR addict. When I look through my list of books that I have recently read I always notice that the majority of them are PNR.

I always make sure to have enough unread books at home (currently there are at least 100 ... most of them PNR) ... I just like being able to choose from a lot of books ... ;o)

Like some of you, I also always know when a new book by one of my favorite authors is being released --- ussually I pre-order them from Amazon months before the actual release date.

And even if I still have enough unread books at home to last me a year ... there's just nothing like coming home from work and seeing that familiar-looking package that screams "Book delivery from Amazon" ... LOL!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments I have had that joy today, just received the Insider Guide for BDB. I was so happy!

I am the same with TV I barely watch it i doubt if I watch TV for even 1 hour a week, it's books all the way!!

message 49: by Misty (new)

Misty | 2 comments Wow this group makes me feel much better! I started reading in September with Twilight.. moved on to the Sookie Series, then OMG I stumbled across the BDB books. That was all it took!!! Now I'm lost and keep buying books and looking for the next series!! My husband thinks I'm crazy! :) I used to DVR tons of shows, now I rarely turn on the TV. I can barely make it to work on time! Think I have a problem... but it's a great one! haha!

message 50: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) Misty wrote: "Wow this group makes me feel much better! I started reading in September with Twilight.. moved on to the Sookie Series, then OMG I stumbled across the BDB books. That was all it took!!! Now I'm ..."

LOL!! Misty, you have totally described my life to a T! i finally had to decide which shows to delete as the DVR had filled up and couldn't hold anymore!! i do the same thing, too...reading in the morning after hellren and oldest young have left...i read until the last possible minute and i certainly don't make it into work early anymore! lol!

« previous 1