Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > Special topics in calamity physics

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Jessica Here is what I posted in my review:

My god, was this book overhyped. I was so looking forward to it, and then found that its distinctive "voice" was just a bunch of irritating, unjustified tics, wrapped around a derivative "The Secret History"-type plot that the author didn't even have the courage to commit to -- the ending is a complete cop-out.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 136 comments Mod
Luckily, I was warned in time to give away my Christmas gift 1st edition of it.

message 3: by Summer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Summer | 28 comments I enjoyed this book immensely until I fixated on her misuse of the phrase "in lieu" which is a pet peeve of mine. Here's where it all went wrong and I almost put it down for keeps (page 340): "I didn’t mean to be deceitful, especially in lieu of his new found McDonald’s-styled approach to parenting (Always Open and Ready to Serve), but Dad despiser outdoor activities such as camping, skiing, mountain biking, parasailing, base jumping and even more, the “dimwitted dulls” who did them."

How on earth did the editor let that pass? How can a book with such a glaring error be touted as one of the 10 best books of the year by the NY Times book review? Or perhaps I should be asking, why does this bother only me?

message 4: by Linda B (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Linda B | 4 comments I loved the book! I was a little annoyed by the end though, since it was all left to the imagination but overall I thought it was a great piece of fiction. I listened to it on a CD and maybe the CD edition is the one easier to follow. I treminded me of "Prep" a little