Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria K. (new)

Maria K. I am looking for books about werewolves-preferably as main characters. I am reading Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs and I want more.... Can you help me???

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 26 comments Check out Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause as well as these series:
Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series (Kitty Norville is a werewolf)
Patricia Briggs’s Mercedes Lackey series
Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series
Christine Warren’s The Others series
Carole Nelson Douglas’s Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator series
Yasmine Galenorn’s Sisters of the Moon/Otherworld series

message 3: by new_user (last edited Apr 03, 2010 11:10AM) (new)

new_user Most of the ones I've enjoyed have been historical PNR, I think, besides Briggs. Try Shiver or Bitten. Here's my werewolf shelf, if you want to check it out too.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) new_user wrote: "Most of the ones I've enjoyed have been historical PNR, I think, besides Briggs. Try Shiver or Bitten. Here's my werewolf shelf, if you want to check it out too."

I was going to suggest SHIVER, too. If you like YA, it's a MUST read. I absolutely loved it and werewolves are not usually my thing!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 31 comments I also suggest Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater , i loved it :)

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) The Riley Jenson Guardian series by Keri Arthur is about a half-were, half-vamp (she says she's more wolf than vamp)

message 7: by Sandy (last edited Apr 05, 2010 11:38AM) (new)

Sandy Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series
Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series
Howling at the Moon series Karen MacInerney
Marked by Moonlight series Sharie Kohler

message 8: by Zainab (new)

Zainab | 20 comments For one that isn't a main character, you can try City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. The werewolves aren't the main characters, but they're pretty close?

message 9: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I went looking through my shelves and have come to a conclusion. I have NOT read enough books about werewolves!

Definately pick up the Mercedes Thompson series. I go back and forth between liking Mercy or Alpha & Omega better. It usually depends on which book I read last ;)

Blood and Chocolate was also very good.

I'm going to bump some of these other rec's up on my To-Read list I think.

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia | 119 comments Here's one of those underappreciated yet very good books:

Howling Mad Howling Mad by Peter David by Peter David.

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Ilona Andrews in her Kate Daniels series Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes has shapeshifters that include werewolves.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) There's a book called Saint Peter's Wolf by Michael Cadnum that has a crazy way of becoming a werewolf. I read it a long time ago, but I thought it was pretty good.

message 13: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 5 comments The wolves in Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series are fantastic!

message 14: by Jess (last edited Jun 12, 2010 11:21AM) (new)

Jess Just finished the Kate Daniels series - loved it! Couldn't put them down!
They are not only about werewolves, though, a bunch of weres are running around. Kate ranks up there with MercedesMoon Called(which I devoured that series as well) on the kick ass scale. Loved the fight scenes in the Daniels series
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

The latest werewolf story I have really enjoyed is Shiver/Linger.

message 16: by Julia (last edited Aug 03, 2010 08:14AM) (new)

Julia | 119 comments Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce with a great cover Sisters Red (Sisters Red, #1) by Jackson Pearce should definately be checked out! It's a very different take on the story we've read...

Also look for Sharp Teeth: A Novel by Toby Barlow. Also with an unusual cover, this is a novel written in blank verse, but not YA! Sharp Teeth A Novel by Toby Barlow

message 17: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) | 9 comments I second Lonley Werewolf Girl by MIllar and Sharp Teeth by Barlow

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Here are books I enjoyed with werewolves, loosely in order of preference with FAVS first.

Mercy Thompson series and Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs (Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl,which is a prequel to Cry Wolf)

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews

Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole

Pride Stories and Magnus Pack by Shelly Laurenston

Psy-Changelings series by Nalini Singh

World of Lupi series by Eileen Wilks

Sookie Sackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

Anita Blake series by Laurell Hamilton

Guardians of Eternity series by Alexandra Ivy

A Taste of Crimson by Marjorie Liu

Others series by Christine Warren

Midnight series by Cynthia Eden

My Sister is a Werewolf by Kathy Love

Circle series by Linda Robertson

Children of the Moon series by Lucy Monroe

Moon Chasers series by Sharie Kohler

Alpha Turned by KB Alan

Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong

Moon series by Lori Handeland

Historical werewolf series by Susan Krinard

message 19: by Cheree (last edited Jan 18, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

Cheree Alsop | 2 comments I just released the first two books in my werewolf series. The third book will be published at the end of January:

Silver (The Silver Series) by Cheree Alsop Black (The Silver Series) by Cheree Alsop

Links can be found at my website www.chereealsop.com

message 20: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 8 comments I'm always on the lookout for werewolf novels where FEMALE WEREWOLVES play a prominent part. That's why I'm such a fan of the Kitty Norville werewolf novels by Carrie Vaughn.

Here are some other werewolf novels I recently came across in which FEMALE WEREWOLVES rule!

1) Once Bitten by Trina M. Lee

2) Wolfbreed by S.A. Swann

3) Wolf's Cross by S.A. Swann

4) Strength of the Wolf by Jorrie Spencer

5) Curse of the Wolf Girl by Martin Millar

Curse of the Wolf Girl (Kalix MacRinnalch, #2) by Martin Millar

message 21: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Brown (douglasbrown) | 6 comments In my book Tamed, the main character is a female werewolf. She is a firefighter who gets infected. The story is a unique take on werewolves as the creatures have been domesticated and sold as pets. Also, I saw a werewolf apocalypse book I thought I might check out the other day. I think it was called Bestial- werewolf apocalypse but I can't recommend it because I haven't read it yet.

message 22: by Joann (new)

Joann Buchanan (joannhbuchanan) | 2 comments Creative wrote: "I am looking for books about werewolves-preferably as main characters. I am reading Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs and I want more.... Can you help me???"

I wrote a book called I AM WOLF that is about werewolves. I love wolves and the werewolf is such a cool creature. :) What are some werewolf books you have read because I'm looking for more as well. :D

message 23: by Joann (new)

Joann Buchanan (joannhbuchanan) | 2 comments Jess wrote: "Just finished the Kate Daniels series - loved it! Couldn't put them down!
They are not only about werewolves, though, a bunch of weres are running around. Kate ranks up there with Mercedes[book:Mo..."

I've heard of her series...it's next on my list. :D Thank you for reminding me. :D

message 24: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 8 comments I'm really keen on reading the upcoming novel Kitty Steals the Show by Carrie Vaughn, which is the latest installment in the Kitty Norville Saga.

For those Goodreads members not in the know, Kitty is a 20-something radio host who has a nighttime show on the paranormal with a national following --- and happens to be a werewolf.

Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10) by Carrie Vaughn

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia | 119 comments KOMET I agree with your endorsement of Kitty and the Midnight Hour -- that's the first book -- by Carrie Vaughn. But I'd edit your description to:

For those Goodreads members not in the know, Kitty is a 20-something (I think she's closer to or above 30, but that's a quibble) radio host who has a nighttime call-in show on the paranormal with a national following because she's an out werewolf.

message 26: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 42 comments I would also reccomend the Kitty books. She is a good read.

message 27: by KOMET (last edited Apr 04, 2012 11:58AM) (new)

KOMET | 8 comments Julia wrote: "KOMET I agree with your endorsement of Kitty and the Midnight Hour -- that's the first book -- by Carrie Vaughn. But I'd edit your description to:

For those Goodreads members not in the know, Kitty is a 20-something (I think she's closer to or above 30, but that's a quibble) radio host who has a nighttime call-in show on the paranormal with a national following because she's an out werewolf.

++++++++++++++++
Hi Julia,

Thanks for the correction. To date, I've read most of the novels of the Kitty Norville Saga. Frankly, it's refreshing to have stories of the werewolf genre where a WOMAN WEREWOLF stands out by virtue of her grit, determination, and sheer nerve. (All too often, in werewolf novels these days, if there is a pairing between a woman [werewolf or no] and a male werewolf, the male werewolf is given far more weight. Women are little more than props for the male's pleasure and/or control.)

I'm always on the lookout for a werewolf novel where female werewolves come to the fore and are well-developed characters.

Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6) by Carrie Vaughn

message 28: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Bell (LupLun) | 2 comments I will also second (third, fourth, whatever) the vote for Kitty Norville.

Also, if you're interested in werewolf fiction, I have this blog...

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

How about Moonlight Mayhem ??

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Cindy wrote: "I also suggest Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater, i loved it :)"

Best series ever!