For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Authors > Judy Blume

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annaclaire (new)

Annaclaire | 28 comments The epitome of Coming of Age/Preteen girls books.

What do you think?

Girls, you may not like to admit it, but I bet you've read at least one of her books....

message 2: by Jordan (last edited Mar 16, 2010 05:20PM) (new)

message 3: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I have read Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. I thought it was okay. I am looking forward to reading some of her others that are more for adults.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie S. In my opinion, don't bother with Forever. As a child, I loved Judy Blume. One day as a preteen, I saw Forever and decided to read it for old time's sake. I had no idea what it was about, and it was definitely not age appropiate for me. Maybe there are other kids that age that could handle the story, but I hated it. It was not simply the content. It was the way the content was handled. It is supposed to a more mature book, but a character's suicide attempt is barely talked about and then just brushed away. I guess she had to save room for awkward sex.

message 5: by Elizabeth☮ (last edited Mar 23, 2010 05:56AM) (new)

Elizabeth☮ i think judy blume does a great job of depicting female adolescence. i mean i love blubber (i listed it as one of my top ten of all time). i also love tiger eyes (omitted from jordan's list).

i think her books epitomize the young girls' hardships of growing up. and i feel that they withstand the test of time. but perhaps because i'm so enamored with her young adult books, i wasn't so impressed by summer sisters.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

i have only read Tiger Eyes from her and it was AMAZING!!!

message 7: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I am trying to think back but I am not sure I have actually read a Judy Blume book???????

message 8: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ Carla wrote: "I am trying to think back but I am not sure I have actually read a Judy Blume book???????"

carla,

get yourself to the young adult section of your library and start to check out her books now!!

message 9: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** Elizabeth wrote: "Carla wrote: "I am trying to think back but I am not sure I have actually read a Judy Blume book???????"

carla,

get yourself to the young adult section of your library and start to check out ..."

lol!!! I will do. I am at the Library this weekend.

message 10: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Judy Blume also has adult fiction as well.

message 11: by Dara (new)

Dara | 85 comments **Carla** wrote: "I am trying to think back but I am not sure I have actually read a Judy Blume book???????"

OMG Carla...Judy Blume, though no literary genius, is a rite of passage for all teen girls! How did you grow up without her? I am thinking that might just be a form of child abuse! lol

message 12: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** lol....well through school after the 6th grade I didn't read much unless I had too and up till the fifth grade I mostly remember reading only fear street book by r.l. stine. my grandma would buy me a new one every week.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I recognize some of the titles but if I read them it was way too long ago to remember the content. Blubber I can guess but we watched the movie not too long ago, so that does not count at all.

message 14: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 2 comments I've read almost all of her YA books that were published back when I was a YA (long time ago LOL!). Due to a puritanical (by today's standards) upbringing, I didn't get an adequate "birds/bees" education at home. I learned everything a preteen/teenage girl should know from reading Blume. ;)

I was unaware that she has also written adult fiction. I'm going to have to check into that.