Start by marking “Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)” as Want to Read:
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)

Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  34,543 Ratings  ·  634 Reviews
Sheila Tubman sometimes wonders who she really is: the outgoing, witty, and capable Sheila the Great, or the secret Sheila, who's afraid of the dark, spiders, swimming, and dogs.

When her family spends the summer in Tarrytown, Sheila has to face some of her worst fears. Not only does a dog come with the rented house, but her parents expect Sheila to take swimming lessons! S
Published April 5th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great, please sign up.

Chris Yes, he can. I never read this before (not even knowing it existed), and I followed the series just fine.

Although, who knows? Your son might be more…more

Although, who knows? Your son might be more okay with it than you think.(less)

Judy Blume's Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great is one of these novels that while I can and do much appreciate the plot-lines, the characterisation, the often spot on descriptions of 1970s America, I just DO NOT LIKE the main character (Sheila Tubman) all that much (if at all). Although massively insecure, with many fears (which also unfortunately her parents do not generally take in any way seriously enough), Sheila is nevertheless constantly, annoyingly boasting about how "wonderful" and seem ...more
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lit-for-the-kids
The kids really wanted another Fudge book, so I picked this one up because it was listed as the next book in the Fudge "series." Waste of time - Fudge is not in this book at all, and Sheila is not a main character I could root for. We spent some time after reading the book talking about how Sheila would be happier if she would tell the truth and try to do something nice for someone. Did some on-the-spot editing and skipping. Oh, well, there were a few funny parts, and the kids liked anytime the ...more
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1991
Thought Sheila was a jerk.
Lars Guthrie
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A recent New York Times article profiling a Georgia middle schol teacher who uses the 'reading workshop' approach to literature noted that the teacher: 'As a teenager...loved the novels of Judy Blume and Danielle Steel. But in school she was forced to read the classics.' Here I thought I was working my way through the Judy Blume catalog because many of her books are viewed as classics of children's literature. Certainly her novels for elementary school readers, like this one about a ten-year-old ...more
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Blume was the second book in the Fudge series of which I'm reading to my 5-yr-old. Since he has twin 2-yr-old brothers, I thought this series was a perfect fit. Since this was the only book to cover the girl's life, I was going to skip it. But when I told my son, he said in a perfectly sarcastic voice, "M-om! You can't skip a book of a series! That's just not right!" So I ordered it, and we read it. He absolutely loved it. I had forgotten what it was a ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
What Judy Blume does is portray children as they really are, not as what adults idealize them as. This means warts and all, and in Otherwise Known As Sheila the Great, she tells a story about a babyish, bossy, nervous girl named Sheila.

Sheila hates dogs, and hates the idea of learning how to swim. She puts up a false front, because she doesn't want to admit she can't do things. She has a love-hate relationship with her big sister, who dislikes her because her parents indulge her too much. When
Sheila is a sad, dreadful character that while possibly an accurate account of some kid's childhood and thus an opportunity for empathetic understanding makes for a slog of a read. The cruelty and lies that come from childhood fear and self-loathing come across as more pathetic than funny or endearing to this reader.

Much beloved author Judy Blume, is often compared to Beverly Cleary, but Blume is a poor substitute for Cleary. While Cleary's characters have foibles, they are always generally lik
Nov 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Again, I'm not a Judy Blume fan, but I liked the "Fudge" books when I was a kid. While Fudge is not in this book at all, and Peter is only at the beginning....the book centers around Sheila (who appears in all of the "Fudge" books). One thing I normally like about books is that the main character has an arc...they grow and change throughout the book. Sheila is as rude and annoying at the end as she is at the beginning.

Another thing I didn't like about this edition...the original was written in
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was younger-- I read it a least a half a dozen times. I haven't read it in probably 15 years but I loved it just as much now. I found my old copy at my mom's house on Sunday and decided to read it again (it actually wasn't my copy since it has my sister Becky's name in it... but it's mine now). The book is completely falling apart at the seams-- the pages are loose and torn and wrinkled and it smells "old", which adds to the charm of it and reminds me of growing up. Mayb ...more
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was another good one from one of the best authors - Judy Blume. Great, interesting story and good for younger kids reading chapter books. Only thing is that Shelia is a bit self-centered and a tiny bit egotistical. Otherwise great.
Tukunjil Nayeera
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-lit
The first book was so great and I loved it so much that I was happy to find a whole new series. But this book ruined the series.

Sheila is a spoiled brat. I don't like her here though she was okay in the first book. She is a terrible liar. A kid of her age is not supposed to be a liar. She doesn't even know lying is not a right thing to do. I wonder why Judy Blume don't make her understand that very clearly!

I missed lil Fudge and fourth grade boy Peter Warren Hatcher whole time reading this book
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Loved the first book, I was so happy to find a whole new series..
& then, this book ruined everything.. :/
Aubree Bowling
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
In this book, my kids learned how NOT to lie away insecurities and how NOT to be a friend who is bossy, condescending, and arrogant. an adult can recognize that Sheila is insecure so she tells exaggerative lies about her shortcomings and inabilities, but kids see a child getting away with being a liar. We had a lot of discussions about being honest and kind to people who reach out to us in friendship as we read this book. Sheila Tubman is 100% an anti-hero and a walking object lesson.
Alex Baugh
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy re-reading a Judy Blume book, but Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great is actually a first read for me. I found it on my Kiddo's bookshelf and thought it would be a nice summer novel.

Sheila Tubman, 10, lives in NYC with her parents and older sister Libby. She also lives with a lot of fears and phobias, beginning with the usual - dogs, spiders, the dark - and adding to that now is swimming pools (or at least, the water in the pool). This makes for a difficult summer for Sheila when
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So how exactly does this get classified as a "Fudge book"? Fudge is not in it, although his brother Peter makes a very brief cameo. I don't know what order they were written in, but at the very most this appears to be a spin-off of Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

Sheila Tubman, last seen being forced by Peter Hatcher and Jimmy Fargo to remove her name from the cover of a school report the three of them worked on together, takes center stage in this book. Her family leaves the city for the summer
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Fudge series by Judy Blume. Our oldest read the first book in the series, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, when she was in fourth grade, and I strongly encouraged her to continue the series.

She started this book as well as Superfudge, but she never finished them because she said that she just didn't get into them. I didn't understand why. Until now.

Sheila is whiny, irritating, and completely insufferable. She lies at the drop of a hat, is afraid of everything and
Kelly Hager
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a kid (I'm guessing around the time I read its companion series, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Super Fudge*) but I didn't remember that much about them.

Basically I remembered the fact that they moved to the town where Washington Irving lived and that Sheila was terrified of the Headless Horseman (also dogs, for unrelated reasons) and I remembered the scene with the slam book.

The slam book, btw, is this book where you write down things about your friends. Some are nice
Beth Bonini
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Sheila Tubman is a boastful know-it-all who is secretly scared of all sorts of things. Perhaps actual 10 year old children can identify with this character, but I didn't find her endearing. (My advice? Read Anastasia Krupnik instead.)
There are some nice moments in this book -- and I did like the character of Mouse, and the poor boy who teaches Sheila how to swim, and the brilliant description of the "slam book" at the sleepover -- but mostly I just found Sheila bratty and annoying.
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
i remember loving this book as a kid. now that i've just re-read it i couldn't believe how annoying sheila is! at least in the end sheila finally admits to being afraid of stuff and learns to swim.
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A good book for mid elementary years.
Hafsa Sabira
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
To be honest,I was in love with the first book of this series which is about Peter and his little brother Fudge. This book features Peter's classmate Sheila. The story tells us about Sheila's summer vacation,focuses on entirely new characters and a different narrative (as it's not Peter anymore,instead it's written from Sheila's point of views). The reason I liked the first book is because of Fudge and Peter's bittersweet relationship. As this book is from a completely different angle,I couldn't ...more
Nusrat Mahmood
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-series, 2017
I miss fudge in this book and maybe do not enjoy it as much as I like the first book in this series because even as a side character in the first book, Sheila could not entertained me that much, nor in this one. Still kinda okay!
Aditi Sriramkumar
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book although I think the author could have made it longer and made it have a little more description in certain parts of the book.
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I read this book series when I was in 3rd-4rth grade, an so I thought that they were lame and fully unappreciated them. I now realize that the perfect age group for this series is around 5th grade.

Anyways I Lund Sheila a slob and a complete... You know.... Brat to put it kindly.
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids in Upper Elementary Grades
Shelves: children
First of all, I have to say, I really enjoy it when books hint at the time period in which they were written. I think it gives the book charm. So, imagine my surprise when, reading this book that was published in 1972, I came across references to CD players and personal computers! Clearly, the version I read had been updated for modern technology, and that bummed me out.

I think Sheila Tubman offers a lot in terms of giving young readers a character to relate to - her volatility and flair for dr
Sean Kennedy
One sad thing about going back and re-reading Judy Blume is that you discover she is completely fallible. For books that were meant to represent the complexity of teen and pre-teen life and how we should accept ourselves for who we are and accept others for what they are - there are a few groups that fall between the cracks. Tiger Eyes had some pretty gross 80s homophobia, and OKASTG has some pretty dire girl-on-girl shittiness that gets resolved for everyone but the fat kid. She still gets told ...more
This wasn't too bad. I had been excited to read another Blume book, since I didn't get too many as a child. And Blume being one of the most banned authors, well... The story was cute. Sheila got on my nerves and was bossy and lied all the time. But she was meant to be a flawed character. This book was written to give readers a glimpse into Peter's "arch-enemy." It makes sense why Sheila is the way she is, and I grew up with quite a few people like her. The thing that annoyed me the most with the ...more
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheila thinks she is great but when she spends the summer at Tarrytown she is not so sure after all. Before she goes she brags about having a room to herself and a rug... But when she arrives everything changes.She is afraid of dogs, spiders... First of all, she wanted to go to Disney Land. Then her parents want her to take swimming lessons. Will Seila life Tarrytown after all?
I liked book because one of my favorite authors is Judy Blume. They are stories of people in real life. I would recommen
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny
My daughter and I finished reading this one together last night. We think sheila thinks lying is the way to cover her fears. Sometimes that was annoying but there was lessons to learn throughout the book. Lying doesn't help and don't give up! We didn't like that sheila was so against Jennifer the dog but the ending gave us hope!
Mitch Romig
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was expecting this book to make Sheila more endearing after hearing how horrible she is from Peter's point of view in the other books in the series. Instead, Peter's opinions are backed up in Sheila's own adventure.
  • Henry and the Paper Route (Henry, #4)
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
More about Judy Blume...

Fudge (5 books)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
“okay when” 0 likes