Start by marking “Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)” as Want to Read:
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)

Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great

(Fudge #2)

Sheila and her friends were writing in their Slam Books, writing what they really think of each other. I knew I didn't have to worry about what my friends think of me, because I am careful to keep my bad points to myself, Sheila was thinking. Sometimes I think I am really two people. I am the only one who knows sheila tubman—afraid of dogs, spiders, the dark, ...more
Published April 5th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great, please sign up.
Alycia I was a girl who loved Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge, so I don't think gender really matters when it comes to this series, even if…moreI was a girl who loved Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge, so I don't think gender really matters when it comes to this series, even if the cover of this book is pink.
The best thing about these books is that they do not have to be read in order to be understood and enjoyed. Maybe he will find this one on his own and like it! (less)

Start your review of Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
Manybooks
Judy Blume's 1972 Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great is one of these novels that while I can and do much appreciate the plot-lines, the characterisation, the often spot on descriptions of 1970s Middle Class America, I just DO NOT LIKE the main character (Sheila Tubman) all that much (if at all). Because although massively insecure, with many fears (which also unfortunately her parents do not generally take in any way seriously enough), Sheila is nevertheless constantly, annoyingly boasting ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
What Judy Blume does is portray children as they really are, not as what adults idealize them as. This means warts and all, and in Otherwise Known As Sheila the Great, she tells a story about a babyish, bossy, nervous girl named Sheila.

Sheila hates dogs, and hates the idea of learning how to swim. She puts up a false front, because she doesn't want to admit she can't do things. She has a love-hate relationship with her big sister, who dislikes her because her parents indulge her too much. When
Katie
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lit-for-the-kids
The kids really wanted another Fudge book, so I picked this one up because it was listed as the next book in the Fudge "series." Waste of time - Fudge is not in this book at all, and Sheila is not a main character I could root for. We spent some time after reading the book talking about how Sheila would be happier if she would tell the truth and try to do something nice for someone. Did some on-the-spot editing and skipping. Oh, well, there were a few funny parts, and the kids liked anytime the ...more
Lars Guthrie
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A recent New York Times article profiling a Georgia middle schol teacher who uses the 'reading workshop' approach to literature noted that the teacher: 'As a teenager...loved the novels of Judy Blume and Danielle Steel. But in school she was forced to read the classics.' Here I thought I was working my way through the Judy Blume catalog because many of her books are viewed as classics of children's literature. Certainly her novels for elementary school readers, like this one about a ...more
Shannon
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1991
Thought Sheila was a jerk.
midnightfaerie
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Blume was the second book in the Fudge series of which I'm reading to my 5-yr-old. Since he has twin 2-yr-old brothers, I thought this series was a perfect fit. Since this was the only book to cover the girl's life, I was going to skip it. But when I told my son, he said in a perfectly sarcastic voice, "M-om! You can't skip a book of a series! That's just not right!" So I ordered it, and we read it. He absolutely loved it. I had forgotten what it was ...more
Jeff
Sheila is a sad, dreadful character that while possibly an accurate account of some kid's childhood and thus an opportunity for empathetic understanding makes for a slog of a read. The cruelty and lies that come from childhood fear and self-loathing come across as more pathetic than funny or endearing to this reader.

Much beloved author Judy Blume, is often compared to Beverly Cleary, but Blume is a poor substitute for Cleary. While Cleary's characters have foibles, they are always generally
Christy
Nov 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Again, I'm not a Judy Blume fan, but I liked the "Fudge" books when I was a kid. While Fudge is not in this book at all, and Peter is only at the beginning....the book centers around Sheila (who appears in all of the "Fudge" books). One thing I normally like about books is that the main character has an arc...they grow and change throughout the book. Sheila is as rude and annoying at the end as she is at the beginning.

Another thing I didn't like about this edition...the original was written in
Tatevik Najaryan
I'm really having fun reading children's books. I missed a lot of good stuff when I was little, so it's kind of catching up with children's classics. I became a huge fan of Blume's writing. It's kind of good way to get back to normal life when you had the world's worst drafted 50 page contract to review.
This book is from Fudge series, but unfortunately, without Fudge. The good news is, Fudge is starring in all other books. I love him so much. Four stars for not including Fudge here.
Jodi
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was younger-- I read it a least a half a dozen times. I haven't read it in probably 15 years but I loved it just as much now. I found my old copy at my mom's house on Sunday and decided to read it again (it actually wasn't my copy since it has my sister Becky's name in it... but it's mine now). The book is completely falling apart at the seams-- the pages are loose and torn and wrinkled and it smells "old", which adds to the charm of it and reminds me of growing up. ...more
Connolly
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was another good one from one of the best authors - Judy Blume. Great, interesting story and good for younger kids reading chapter books. Only thing is that Shelia is a bit self-centered and a tiny bit egotistical. Otherwise great.
Tukunjil Nayeera
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-lit
The first book was so great and I loved it so much that I was happy to find a whole new series. But this book ruined the series.

Sheila is a spoiled brat. I don't like her here though she was okay in the first book. She is a terrible liar. A kid of her age is not supposed to be a liar. She doesn't even know lying is not a right thing to do. I wonder why Judy Blume don't make her understand that very clearly!

I missed lil Fudge and fourth grade boy Peter Warren Hatcher whole time reading this
Wasee
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Loved the first book, I was so happy to find a whole new series..
& then, this book ruined everything.. :/
Beth Bonini
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Sheila Tubman is a boastful know-it-all who is secretly scared of all sorts of things. Perhaps actual 10 year old children can identify with this character, but I didn't find her endearing. (My advice? Read Anastasia Krupnik instead.)
There are some nice moments in this book -- and I did like the character of Mouse, and the poor boy who teaches Sheila how to swim, and the brilliant description of the "slam book" at the sleepover -- but mostly I just found Sheila bratty and annoying.
Aubree Bowling
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
In this book, my kids learned how NOT to lie away insecurities and how NOT to be a friend who is bossy, condescending, and arrogant. an adult can recognize that Sheila is insecure so she tells exaggerative lies about her shortcomings and inabilities, but kids see a child getting away with being a liar. We had a lot of discussions about being honest and kind to people who reach out to us in friendship as we read this book. Sheila Tubman is 100% an anti-hero and a walking object lesson.
Alex  Baugh
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy re-reading a Judy Blume book, but Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great is actually a first read for me. I found it on my Kiddo's bookshelf and thought it would be a nice summer novel.

Sheila Tubman, 10, lives in NYC with her parents and older sister Libby. She also lives with a lot of fears and phobias, beginning with the usual - dogs, spiders, the dark - and adding to that now is swimming pools (or at least, the water in the pool). This makes for a difficult summer for Sheila when
Seth
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So how exactly does this get classified as a "Fudge book"? Fudge is not in it, although his brother Peter makes a very brief cameo. I don't know what order they were written in, but at the very most this appears to be a spin-off of Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

Sheila Tubman, last seen being forced by Peter Hatcher and Jimmy Fargo to remove her name from the cover of a school report the three of them worked on together, takes center stage in this book. Her family leaves the city for the summer
Vanessa
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I recently read the book Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading which saw fit to laude many Judy Blume classics, but tragically not this one. I kept thinking about how much I loved this book so I inevitably had to pick it up at the library as my childhood copy had long since fallen apart. This was also cool because I found out the children's area of the local library has guinea pigs.

When I was a kid, I read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing first, where Sheila Tubman was a
Dolly
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Fudge series by Judy Blume. Our oldest read the first book in the series, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, when she was in fourth grade, and I strongly encouraged her to continue the series.

She started this book as well as Superfudge, but she never finished them because she said that she just didn't get into them. I didn't understand why. Until now.

Sheila is whiny, irritating, and completely insufferable. She lies at the drop of a hat, is afraid of everything and
Kelly Hager
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a kid (I'm guessing around the time I read its companion series, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Super Fudge*) but I didn't remember that much about them.

Basically I remembered the fact that they moved to the town where Washington Irving lived and that Sheila was terrified of the Headless Horseman (also dogs, for unrelated reasons) and I remembered the scene with the slam book.

The slam book, btw, is this book where you write down things about your friends. Some are
Calista
This is a little book about fear and facing your fears. Sheila is afraid of many things and instead of admitting she is afraid she talks about how wonderful she is at everything and will not admit she is afraid. Through her friend Mouse she learns to admit to being afraid and eventually she faces her fear and learns to swim. A sweet little story. Not on the same level as Old Yeller. I wonder if all the best books are about death. This is not about death, yet it is about fear and fear is ...more
Nina
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
i remember loving this book as a kid. now that i've just re-read it i couldn't believe how annoying sheila is! at least in the end sheila finally admits to being afraid of stuff and learns to swim.
Chelsea
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book as much as I did the other books in the Fudge series. I found Sheila quite annoying.
Madi
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A good book for mid elementary years.
Hafsa Sabira
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
To be honest,I was in love with the first book of this series which is about Peter and his little brother Fudge. This book features Peter's classmate Sheila. The story tells us about Sheila's summer vacation,focuses on entirely new characters and a different narrative (as it's not Peter anymore,instead it's written from Sheila's point of views). The reason I liked the first book is because of Fudge and Peter's bittersweet relationship. As this book is from a completely different angle,I couldn't ...more
Nusrat Mahmood
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, finished-series
I miss fudge in this book and maybe do not enjoy it as much as I like the first book in this series because even as a side character in the first book, Sheila could not entertained me that much, nor in this one. Still kinda okay!
Maureen
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
My kids enjoyed listening to this but not as much as the other books in the Fudge series. We didn’t like how much Sheila brags and lies, how mean she and her sister are to each other (and her friends too), and the fact that they all do mean things and cover up for each other.
Adriana
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sheila is humorous because near the middle of the book she insults Peter with a baseball glove
Janie Evans
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic from Judy Blume. Great for early readers...my daughter read this in the 2nd grade. She read this a while ago and never came on to review.
Aditi Sriramkumar
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book although I think the author could have made it longer and made it have a little more description in certain parts of the book.

• Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • Henry and the Paper Route (Henry, #4)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry, #3)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible ...more

Fudge (5 books)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
“okay when” 1 likes