Book Worms discussion

Post/Response #1

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

For this journal post and response, please do the following:
1. Remember that you need to use 3 vocabulary words in this journal post. Please bold.

2. Initially, write the title of the book with link and the number of pages covered for this journal: i.e. pages 1-45.

3. In 100 words, answer the first part of the journal prompt using the sentence stems under “Writing Comments/Questions.” (Paragraph 1)

4. In 100 words, answer the second part of the journal prompt using the sentence stems under “Writing Observations about your Reading Process.” (Paragraph 2)

5. In 100 words, define the following and then analyze in relation to your text. (Paragraph 3)
Point of View (CRS: 238)
Mode of Discourse (CRS: 56, 118)

6. In 4 to 5 sentences, respond to another group member’s posting.

message 2: by Diego (new)

Diego | 5 comments The Serial Killers Club
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42...
Page 135 of 302

I predict that I'm going to enjoy this book. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like the book. For some reason a club of serial killers didn't seem very entertaining to me, but after reading almost halfway through I can tell this is may be one of my favorites. The way the narrator casually alludes to murder and his unusual side comments makes this an easy and interesting book to read. There's also a lot of black comedy and coarse language involved, two things that apparently go well together in print. It makes me think of the feasibility of his goal, especially after reading about his methods.

I started to think about the book and where the story was progressing. I find that if a book is interesting then I will interact with it in a certain way, usually by predicting what will happen next. The book also seems easy for me to read. The vocabulary used in the book doesn't seem that hard, so I don't think I'll have to put the book down to look something up. This book is definitely taking up my full attention when I read it. I don't think I'll be able to put the book down until I finally finish it due to how entertaining it is.

'Point of view' refers to the writer's views and attitude on a subject. It can be anything from favorable to ambivalent. Its hard to judge the author's point of view in this book as its not a direct reflection of the author's mind, it is just a story. Perhaps he doesn't think killing killers is wrong. 'Mode of discourse' refers to a principal type of writing used in nonfiction. One of the modes, narration, is what is used in the story although it is fiction. I think searching for a mode of discourse in a work of fiction is pointless seeing as the narrative style permeates the storytelling style in works of fiction.

message 3: by Joseph Duarte (new)

Joseph Duarte | 5 comments Prey
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83...
pg 100 of 509

I predict that i am going to enjoy reading this book even though it is very long and has alot to do with science ficiton, which isn't really a problem, but at times it can get a little bit confusing. I picked this book because the title made the book seem like something different, and it was already in my mothers book shelf. I like the way the author tries to describe the scinece fiction in this story, and there seems to be alot of it. he is very descriptive and uses what he already knows about science to SCAFFOLD his ficiton in the book.

I got confused by the science language that Crichton uses. since he is a very well known science fiction writer he pretty much knows what he is talking about, and that confuses me because some of the time I dont know what he is talking about. I lost track when my mom came home and started to make dinner, i was extremly hungry. i get sidetracked really easily, things that are more intersting then books, which is alot, catch my attention really easily. I need to take the tv, playstation and everything else that ENCOMPASSES me that could surround me and put them away somewhere.

The writers stance, or point is that technology is good, but too much can be mad. Which is his stance on most of the books that Crichton writes. Bascilly too much progress forword can only put us backwords.One of the modes of discourse that the author uses is obvously narration, but also some sort of desription. Crichtons METHODOLOGY is to have some sort of technology, which is supposed to change the world for good, go out of control. Basicly Technology cannot control nature.

Diego-It seems like your book is very interesting. I think the authors stance on if killers are bieng killed is an interesting one. Thats good your book has some sort of comedy and things like that. I dont thik i can read a book that wasnt interesting and didnt keep my attention.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean Daugherty | 4 comments Mod
I know the feeling of the of chuck in the first few pages iv read. He is feeling like he has a lot of work on his hands at work and the "higher ups" e.g. boss, manager, whatever are always breathing down your neck making sure that yo are doing certain things properly and contantly nag at you. Chuck works for the Spin magazine and he is faced with these editorials that he must write and needs it done asap, feeling like that is the most important thing in his life while in the mean time the real world is revovling with out him. Not really true, but in some aspect makes sence that time for eating, girlfriends, family, and deffinatly school are important as well.

I was distracted while reading, because of my uncle saying that we needed to wash the car and that I need to get up and move. Reflecting on what I wrote earlier, this is a great example of how organizing time for everything is certiantly important and i must do so. Next time I will make sure to have enough time so that I am able to write this without being in a hurry and also make sure to keep my uncle happy. I will also make sure to get more reading in a little later today.

The writers point view in this book is his own and his personal feeling towards whats going on. His stance in the first few chapters are somewhat of a rant and rave about his Extremely good looking boss and how a lot of people talk about how they know music but in actuallity they dont know nothing at all

message 5: by John (new)

John Summerford | 5 comments Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

Pages 1-16

I am not sure if I can predict my reaction to this book as a whole. This is a wizards and magic book. You know the kind: wands, spells, old guys with really long beards and funny accents; essentially the whole Harry Potter thing. There is a twist though, this book’s Hogwarts is located in 19th century England: a country fallen under siege by the newly risen conqueror Napoleon Bonaparte. The author introduces a pair of friends by the names of Segundus and Honeyfoot (why can’t we have names like that anymore?) that recently joined a club of magicians in the town of York. Regardless of its title (“The Society of Magicians”), these “gentlemen-magicians” don’t actually practice magic. They sit around in their large meeting room during their bi-monthly disguising the long lost art of magic (kind of like politics.) You see, magic has lost nearly all its FEASIBILITY: nearly everyone knows what it is, but no one can make or do. I become somewhat of a old wives tales. Determined to clear up the AMBIGUITY surrounding such a hushed subject, Segundus and Honeyfoot hunt down an alleged great scholar of the magic arts Mr. Norrell. Initially skeptical of their intentions, Mr. Norrell invites the boys into his study. After a look around, they finally pop the question: “why has magic fallen from its once-great state in our great nation. Our question is, sir, why is no more magic done in England?” Mr. Norrell’s eyes light up at that moment and in a nearly casual tone, he ALLUDES: “I cannot help you with your question, sir, for I do not understand. It is a wrong question sir. Magic is not ended in England. I myself am quite a tolerable practical magician.”

After this hard-hitting scene, I am very conflicted about this book. I’m not usually the wizard-magically book type, but this book has me hooked. I guess I’ll just have to keep turning the pages. However, I have to come realize that that can be a bad thing. You see, when I read, I only read. Granted, is a good thing, but only good to a certain level. My reading habits often do not UNDERPIN my other habits: eating, sleeping, and dare I say it? Excretion. I can read all day and sometimes all night. I can even read until I have forgotten to write my online journal assignment and end up throwing it together at 9:30 pm. This is self-destructive talent I have been given.

A point of view is a writer’s attitude or position on a subject. One can have a favorable, unfavorable, neutral, or ambivalent point of view. In Susanna Clarke’s case (the author of this fine story) I cannot tell. She has not presented any truly controversial issues. Clarke has only introduced me to dull or uninvolved characters aside from the main players (Honeyfoot and Segundus) and Mr. Norrel. These men have not shown themselves to be evil individuals by personality or actions. However, a seasoned reader cannot simply assume that a character is good because it has not yet displayed any evidence that it is evil. Therefore, I cannot be sure of the author’s point of view as I am unsure of her characters value, so I must suggest that she is neutral (so far.) In many ways, this is all attributed to the author’s modes of discourse taken throughout the INCREMENTS of the book. A mode of discourse directly relates to an authors purpose. A narrative discourse’s purpose is to tell a story while a persuasive discourse’s purpose is to convince and so on so forth. Clarke’s writing so far has been that of a narrative discourse. While she has not yet presented any significant problems or conflicts, I do have high hopes.

Diego- I like the sound of your book. Abnormal lifestyles absolutely fascinate me. The idea that a group of individuals that consistently take part in actions deemed extremely immoral by most societies can casually throw a party about their achievement baffles me. The human mind is such a limitless and often confusing thing. If you enjoy that book, you may want to check out the television show “Dexter.” It’s about a crime scene investigator who “works” as a serial killer by night.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Diego wrote: "The Serial Killers Club
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42...
Page 135 of 302

I predict that I'm going to enjoy this book. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to li..."

I am glad that you are enjoying this book. It sounds interesting, very different.

Nice job with this post but be sure to include vocabulary.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Joseph wrote: "Prey
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83...
pg 100 of 509

I predict that i am going to enjoy reading this book even though it is very long and has alot to do with science ficiton, whic..."

Joe, be sure to proofread your submission.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sean wrote: "I know the feeling of the of chuck in the first few pages iv read. He is feeling like he has a lot of work on his hands at work and the "higher ups" e.g. boss, manager, whatever are always breathin..."

Sean, you have interesting things to say here, but I can tell that this is rushed. You need to develop the entire post so that it is required length, proofread, include vocab., provide link at start, and be sure to address all content requirements (mode of discourse).

This author has a great reputation, so I am sure the book will be good.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

John wrote: "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

Pages 1-16

I am not sure if I can predict my reaction to this book as a whole. This is a..."

John, you have a great writing voice. I enjoyed reading this post.