Start by marking “The Serial Killers Club” as Want to Read:
The Serial Killers Club

The Serial Killers Club

When our unlikely hero runs into a murderer, he ends up killing the killer. Then he goes through his attacker's wallet and finds another shocker: an invitation to a party hosted by Errol Flynn. Errol Flynn? Isn't he dead? Intrigued, our hero crashes it - and discovers the Serial Killers Club. Its mission: share thrills and make sure members don't target the same victims. W ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 303 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Warner Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Serial Killers Club, please sign up.
Scott Brillon Don't waste your time. This is terrible. You're better off reading a book called Lost Girls by Robert Kolker-it's actually about the murders on Long I…moreDon't waste your time. This is terrible. You're better off reading a book called Lost Girls by Robert Kolker-it's actually about the murders on Long Island.(less)

Start your review of The Serial Killers Club
Kaitlyn
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book by accident. I was working at a job that stressed me out so I would go and get gelato everyday on my lunch. I was sitting down enjoying my gelato when I saw the book. The cover was certainly what caught my attention. I went in to the bookstore and read the back. It looked really entertaining so I picked it up. (p.s. the owner of the store took one look at me and the book and said “you don’t look like the serial killer type”). The book is very well written and is a breeze ...more
kingshearte
Dec 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, fiction
When our unlikely hero stumbles into the path of a serial killer, he has no choice but to defend himself - and ends up killing the killer. Shocked by his own strength, he then goes through the dead man's wallet and finds the damndest thing: a personal ad inviting the killer to join a party hosted by Errol Flynn. Errol Flynn? Isn't he dead?

What begins with passing curiosity soon becomes uncontrollable obsession, forcing our hero to fly to Chicago to join the party. From the moment he steps into G
Shadow Girl
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Take Dexter, and divide by Ash, then add to Desperately Seeking Susan, and you'll get The Serial Killers Club!

After accidentally killing, and assuming the identity of local serial killer 'Grandson of Barney', the narrator follows a personal ad in 'his' wallet and finds himself in a room with 18 other serial killers.
It's a club, a place for killers to share stories, and make sure that nobody is targeting the same person. (It's happened before - awkward!)
When you're surrounded by every notorious
Jess
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wanted to take a break from series reading, and randomly picked this book out. For the first half of the novel, nay, 2/3rds of it, I felt severely disjointed. I couldn’t attach to any of the characters on any level. At first I didn’t understand why the book seemed to be so jumpy and disorganized. I thought perhaps it may be bad writing... yet as I sat back and examined it I saw the story itself flowed well. That’s when I realized that in the books I normally read I can typically associate with ...more
Brandy
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked it so much I read it in one sitting
Lois Duncan
It's an intriguing concept -- a social club of serial killers who hold weekly meetings to compare gruesome stories of their latest kills. Then one of them decides to knock off the other members. It's told tongue in cheek, and for the first few chapters this was a sort of fun read (in a sick sort of way). But on and on it went, with the description of one awful murder after another, (one victim was thrown alive into a vat of boiling oil), and, believe it or not, it became BORING.

I finished it bec
Laren
Jun 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A man who is somewhat of a loner learns of a secret club in which serial killers periodically meet to compare notes, etc. Craving some excitement, he successfully infiltrates the group (posing as a serial killer) only to find the members are themselves being killed off one by one. The plot is his attempt to solve the murders before he becomes a victim himself. I found this book to be fairly creative, and I really enjoyed the ride the author took me on.
Lindsey Lang
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
i wanted to like this book so much more than i actually did. i loved the premise but the interest just sort of died off for me somewhere around the middle of the book. (if not even before that.) i don't know, it may have been because i didn't really like the main character as the story went on or maybe it just simply could have been written better. i was just so excited about the book when i found it on the shelf of a thrift store and now that i've finished it i'm just glad it only cost 1.99.
Estelle
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's a nice book with an original idea, some funny characters, but very predictable and quite forgettable.
An easy read.
Grey Liliy
I loved this book; it was hilarious and I adored our idiot, unreliable narrator Dougie. The whole book felt like a wonderful parody of the serial killer/thriller genre, and got more than a few laughs out of me--and I mean loud, audible ones.

To summarize the plot: Our lonely protagonist (yet to be named), is attacked by a serial killer--and wins. Bored, he decides to go through the dead man's pockets (who he recognizes as the killer "Grandson of Barney") and finds an invitation to an event. Think
Victoria
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hahahaha! What a great dark comedy! I definitely laughed out loud in several parts. I just really enjoyed this funny book. The ending concluded rather unexpectedly, too! The characters and narrative point-of-view were unique and entertaining. The majority of the book took place in Chicago, too, which always makes for a wonderful setting! And for a book from the early nineties, I must admit that it felt new and fresh. After finishing it, I immediately looked around on the Internet to see if there ...more
Dan Hughes
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is pure literary popcorn, but I really enjoyed the humour behind the unreliable narrator and his complete obliviousness to how others see him.

The concept and tone of The Serial Killers Club would have made a far better Garth Ennis comic than it does a novel. Certainly you get the feeling that the author doesn’t quite have the skill or the depravity to do the story justice.

It’s not a new premise either, the Dexter series of books got their first. Although The SerialKillers club is a lot
Mahan
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i found this little book at the airport, and i couldn't put it down. the story starts off with a man being attacked by a killer. he inadvertently kills his attacker, and when he knew that the attacker was dead, he went through his wallet to find out who this person was. in the wallet he finds an ad from the personals in the newspaper, inviting this man to a meeting at a restaurant. so, our intended victim goes to this meeting posing as his attacker (as you do.). the meeting turns out to be a mon ...more
William Thomas
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
a precursor to the dexter series, this book is somewhat confused by its perspective (written by an englishman, about an american, and who writes americans saying things like "car park"). however, it is a fun and fast book, easy to read if not completely transparent throughout. the story doesn't really allow for a surprise at the end, as any half-wit could figure it. i'd recommend reading then donating the book because it was fun, it offers something different than dexter in that the killer is a ...more
Anthony
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it

I'm not sure what I was expecting when picked up this book. Some mix between Dexter and a Harris novel. Which is pretty much what I found. It wasn't the best book that I've ever read, but it passed the 30-page test and I enjoyed the conclusion.

The thing to keep in mind is that the 1st person narrator is NOT reliable. Once you realize that, the book is funnier and deeper.
Sapz Whereinsoever
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it..
I've read it about 4 times.. and it never bores me.. aways makes me giggle..
*spoiler alert*

Funny view of a average guy.. who by curiosity gets into a serial killers club..
and desides to do some good..

Ashley
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
A quick, easy read. I definitely liked the idea of the book more than the execution. In the end I just found the main character too annoying.
Mauoijenn
This was an interesting read.
I liked the concept of the book but at sometimes I felt it was predictable.

Kim Cl
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second time i've read this book. I'll keep it at a 2 star.ut
Ashley Capo
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
Passenger
This review contains spoilers, proceed at your own risk, thank you.
This book was recommended to me by my boss. Since she described it as "hilarious" I was skeptical at first, can serial killers ever be amusing in any way? The answer is YES! They can in this tongue-in-cheek story by Jeff Povey.
The first sentence of this novel was enough to convince me to give "The Serial Killer Club" a chance:

"I guess it's not every day that you end up with a dead serial killer lying at your feet".

Dougie kills
Noelia
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot sounds original: a serial killers club, in which suddenly bodies stop dropping in mysterious ways. But this was overall a strange book. The characters are unlikeable: they are a bunch of weirdo's, some of them are simply gross - partly because of the main characters view of them - and the main character is probably the weirdest of them all. Still, I did want to know how the story ended, so I finished the book. It was okay, I guess. Not much of a surprise though.... If you like a story w ...more
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super fun read - I got this as a bargain book at B&N. I would love to see this made into a film by a company like the BBC - it is so gruesome, yet dark and funny, that it is a page turner. In essence, serial killers get together and meet up, have a few drinks, talk about their kills, and then continue forth. But what is happening when the serial killers themselves start getting killed? What is that all about? A ton of tongue in cheek, funny lines that if you blink, you will miss them. A shout ou ...more
Millie Rowley
Feb 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Lindsey Reece
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
While some sections were descriptive and well written, the entirety of the novel had tremendously strange pacing and lacked character development. Everything seemed more action based when, in a book about serial killers, I expected more internal development. Honestly, it felt like this book was a first draft that someone rushed to publish.
desiree  Bergez
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I came across this book while looking for some thrillers. It sounded like a rather interesting story, and I have to say it did not disappoint. It kept me hooked from page 1. I liked how the story got right to the point, and there weren't pointless chapters leading up to the main story. I have my suspicions on who the real KK was, but I did not guess correctly. I would recommend this book.
Scott Brillon
Jul 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have a question: How was this pile of garbage published? What am I thinking. In a world where "Twilight" is a best seller there will always be room for this crap. This is so poorly written and plotted it almost makes me cry. The idea wasn't a bad one, but this is such a piece of shit. You know I'm against book burning, but...

(If I could give this anything less than one star I would.)
peoroths
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Every once in a few years I pick this book up again, and every time I do so, I am not disappointed. The writing is fast, frenetic and snappy, mowing through the killers at breakneck speed. Dougie is an obliviously awful human being, and the way he responds to the world is one of the better written unreliable narrators around.
Cindy Kirkland
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I haven't read a whole book in a night in a long time. This was easy to read. It was funny and quick moving. Had me fooled until the end. The characters were few so they were easy to get to know even though they all have to remain anonymous. I enjoyed it.
Andria Torrez
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique story and characters. I could not put it down! Such a great read that I finished it in two days.
Fast-paced and creatively disturbing, but also ironically funny, sometimes within the same narrative.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
serrial killers club jeff povey 1 11 Mar 23, 2012 01:29PM

• The Reformed Vampire Support Group
  • Save Me, Kurt Cobain
  • Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths
  • All Fall Down (Helen Grace, #9)
  • Fünf (Beatrice Kaspary, #1)
  • De Val
  • De man die werk vond
  • Delphi: A History of the Center of the Ancient World
  • Ildens øye (Aslak Eira #2)
  • Bezonken rood
  • Love Me to Death (Lucy Kincaid, #1)
  • Black House (The Talisman, #2)
  • Dexter in the Dark (Dexter, #3)
  • The Devil's Only Friend (John Cleaver, #4)
  • The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire
  • Problem Child (Jane Doe, #2)
  • An Unequal Defense (David Adams, #2)
  • I'm Your Huckleberry: A Memoir